Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: JPEG Compression Comparison (Read 12508 times) previous topic - next topic

JPEG Compression Comparison

Reply #25
how about jp2, irfanview has a jp2 which allows you to encode a maximum resolution of 640X480

I would like to see the percentage?
With my naked eyes, I see no improvements from jp2
jp2 is always worse than jpeg, regardless of the filesize

JPEG Compression Comparison

Reply #26
I'd say that in this JPEG test the color percentage tells more about the quality than pixel percentage, it still would be good to see output images to be of more or less the same size.

Here is another test of ADOBE and IJP, this time with different quality settings. According to results, both changed pixel percentage and changed colour percentage somehow can represent quality of output files, as quality settings and changed percentages move correspondingly. I also managed CJPEG to produce similar file size to ADOBE.

Above results show better proformance of IJP over ADOBE on sample 1 & 2.
However, with another setting, IJP can also produces less changed pixel with smaller size on sample 3. (I cannot make CJPEG produce better result than Photoshop at quality 11 & 12.)

how about jp2, irfanview has a jp2 which allows you to encode a maximum resolution of 640X480

I would like to see the percentage?
With my naked eyes, I see no improvements from jp2
jp2 is always worse than jpeg, regardless of the filesize

I hope you don't mind that I use ADOBE JPEG2000 1.6 instead. Comparison is between ADOBE'JPEG and ADOBE's JPEG 2000.

edit: add JP2 information