Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why bother with hybrid mode in Wavpack? (Read 33080 times) previous topic - next topic

Why bother with hybrid mode in Wavpack?

Reply #50
The UPS man brought my new H120 today, and I am excited about working with the RockBox team on getting WavPack support in there, and I see no reason that Neuros support would be difficult either. And WavPack's low-complexity encoding will make it ideal for portable recording also.

BTW, version 4.2 is just a few days away. Thanks for all the support! 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280890"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow. Excellent news, both of them. What advantages will 4.2 bring over the current beta version?

Reply #51
I just tried out Musepack, and I think it's really nice. It's commonly believed to be the best lossy encoding out there. But how does it compare to Wavpack's Hybrid mode in terms of quality (if you DON'T keep the correction file)?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280878"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This has already been answered (partially in this thread even).

Radetz..

Reply #52
I've been using FLAC, but my harddrive is filling quick, and transcoding to multiple codecs just doesn't sound like much fun.... Does anyone have any reccomended tools or commandlines to use with EAC for this purpose?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you mean creating say FLACs AND another format from EAC at the same time (which I think you're asking for), then [a href="http://mareo.monkeydev.org/]MAREO[/url] and Flacattack can do this.  However, transcoding from lossless to lossy is very easy - just use Foobar and do the transcoding ('convert' in Foobar terms) overnight (batch processing).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280916"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, not quite. Thanks anyway, though  . But using multiple codecs is really what I'm trying to avoid. I was just seeing if anyone knew a way to

a. convert my flacs over to wavpack hybrid (ok, I guess I'm just being lazy, I can use Foobar for that).

b. a commandline for EAC that will allow me to create hybrid files (If there isn't a "general standard" for this, then maybe there should be one.) If I'm not mistaken, there's some sort of conflict between the way EAC names files and how Wavpack names the hybrid files.

Doesn't 4.2 support builtin APE tagging? I seem to recall that as being one of the additions.

Reply #53
Oh, not quite. Thanks anyway, though   . But using multiple codecs is really what I'm trying to avoid. I was just seeing if anyone knew a way to

a. convert my flacs over to wavpack hybrid (ok, I guess I'm just being lazy, I can use Foobar for that).

b. a commandline for EAC that will allow me to create hybrid files (If there isn't a "general standard" for this, then maybe there should be one.) If I'm not mistaken, there's some sort of conflict between the way EAC names files and how Wavpack names the hybrid files.

Doesn't 4.2 support builtin APE tagging? I seem to recall that as being one of the additions.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sorry that this information is not easy to find, but here are two posts of mine that will help with making EAC and WavPack play nice together. The first is from when I added a third filename option to make hybrid mode work with EAC:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24599&view=findpost&p=239544]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=239544[/url]

Later, I added tag functionality so that wapet was no longer required:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=251282

Hope this helps, and I plan on getting this type of information all together in one spot.

Reply #54
I think Wavpack isn't supported by dbpoweramp yet, and that's kind of important to me
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, dBpowerAMP has great support for WavPack! 

[a href="http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wavpack.htm]http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wavpack.htm[/url]

Reply #55
Wow. Excellent news, both of them. What advantages will 4.2 bring over the current beta version?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280940"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, WavPack 4.2 won't really have anything new compared to the last beta (which seems to be pretty robust).   

However, there have been some improvements in the source (like support for tag creation and 64-bit compilers) and I have just added a new flag to the decoder library for decoding from streams that was required for Matroska, so it seemed like a good time for a real release. And, of course, Kuniklo's xmms plugin will be included.

Reply #56
And, of course, Kuniklo's xmms plugin will be included.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281162"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is that finished now? Super  !
Linux source package will also be updated to 4.2, I reckon...?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #57
The UPS man brought my new H120 today, and I am excited about working with the RockBox team on getting WavPack support in there

I didn't noticed this before, very happy to hear it...  Thanks Bryan...
Best regards

PS: Excuse my curiousness, can i ask you your Wiki name overthere (at Rbx)? Are you "ChristianGmeiner"?

Reply #58
PS: Excuse my curiousness, can i ask you your Wiki name overthere (at Rbx)? Are you "ChristianGmeiner"?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281287"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, but I was in e-mail contact with him during his work on the original WavPack port.

I have not joined in on IRC yet, but I have e-mailed some of the other guys there.

Linux source package will also be updated to 4.2, I reckon...?

Of course... 

Reply #59
Thank you Bryant, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be sure to try it soon. Your help, and great work, is much appreciated  .

Reply #60
@Bryant
Just before you launch 4.2, I'd like to to make a little suggestion for wvunpack (and fb2k plugin). IIRC, both the hybrid and the correction have to be in the same folder so that the file is treated as lossless. Would it be possible to introduce an option/switch to specify a custom source directory for the correction files, even if they aren't on the same folder? That could be useful for people that burn the wvc's to CD-Rs, but leave the hybrids on the computer, so that they don't have to copy the files over to play or convert (just pop the disk in and you have all the sonic completeness of the CD). Also, it would be nice for people with external USB2 hard drives: plug it in, you have lossless; plug it out and have a transparent HQ decent-sized lossy.
If there is such an option already that has somehow eluded me, I'd like to hear it.

Reply #61
I will now switch to Hybrid-mode because I can have ALL my CDs in superb quality on my HD at once and still transcode to MP3 for my portable 
Nice to use dbpowerAMP for transcoding from ALAC to Wavpack