Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC ripped file clicking (Read 4613 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC ripped file clicking

If you read the Audio hardware section you will probably be aware that i recently got a set of Sennheiser HD 580's. All i can do is praise them, except fot the fact that in several tracks that i have ripped (my own collection, not scratched et cetera) there are quiet clicks in a lot of my tracks.

These include a moby track and Mudvayne track.

The first thing i thought it could be was the player. I was using Foobar2000 v0.57 in kernel streaming mode, and i heard that can be buggy, so i tried direct sound, still the same. I disabled resampling, and all other DSP's including replaygain, no change.

I then tried Windows Media Player, version 6 i think, the one that comes with win2000 as standard, and that still plays the clicks.

I ripped with EAC, Accurate stream, no use of C2 at all (neither box ticked) and drives cahes box was ticked. My drive is a Lite-On 166S.

EAC reported no errors, and several players caused the same clicking. It always occurs in the same point on the tacks, so it's not random static or interference!

All i can think of is that several of my CD's were mastered with the clicks included. The waveform shows no apparent spike in the file. Otherwise, i have some hardware related ripping problem.

If anyone has got Moby-Play, can you rip track "Run On" in the first few seconds i get several quiet clicks. can you then let me know if you can hear  them.

I would upload my FLAC'ed sample but don't have any webspase, i can e-mail smaple though (400KB)

Please help me find the source of this problem, it's driving me mad and i don't have another computer i can test with.

Running trought a hi-fi amp, these clicks are not very evident at all, so headphones may be required.
My soundcard is the RealTek ALC650 onborad a Abit IT7MAx2. I know it's not the best solution but idoubt it's this that is causing the problem as they are not random.

Cheers for your help everyone,

i may not be able to reply for about 24 hours due to work but your input and help will be greatly appreciated,

Kristian 

EAC ripped file clicking

Reply #1
1. Have you tried burning the clicking files to CD and playback original and copy with a standalone CD player + headphones?

2. What does spectral view look like?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

EAC ripped file clicking

Reply #2
All i can think of is that several of my CD's were mastered with the clicks included. The waveform shows no apparent spike in the file. Otherwise, i have some hardware related ripping problem.

I am puzzled why you have not listened to the orignal CD's to see if the clicks are there.  That would be the first thing I would do.   
Nov schmoz kapop.

EAC ripped file clicking

Reply #3
if the sounds aren't on the original CDs then try ripping only to .wav and see. i have gotten such clicks when ripping minor scatched cds, even when they played fine.

EAC ripped file clicking

Reply #4
I've had CD's that look fine (clean and scratch free) but had bad spots in them (but the disks played fine). Before using EAC I used Media Jukebox to do all rips. On those disks i would get those clicks on Digital rips. Changing to Analog rips corrected the problem. For EAC try changing the extraction method to Burst mode...while not as accurate as Secure it may produce more pleasant sounding files. Worth a try.

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

EAC ripped file clicking

Reply #5
If anyone has got Moby-Play, can you rip track "Run On" in the first few seconds i get several quiet clicks. can you then let me know if you can hear  them.

Yes I can.

First center (00:02), then left (00:04), then right (00:07) etc

EAC ripped file clicking

Reply #6
Yes,

it turns out they are on the CD itself as i finally managed to play it on my dads Arcam. I don't own a seperate CD player anymore!

The clicks are very visable in the spectrum analyzer mode of EAC.

I am glad in some respects and annoyed in other's. These type of clicks can be heard through about 5 or 6 of the albums i have ripped so far, and although they do constitute the original recording, they bug me. 

I guess on this Moby track they could be glitches from a sampled LP perhaps?

Anyway everyone, cheers for your help, especialy Pio2001, i would have gone mad if someone hadn't confirmed it.

Now all i gotta do is train myself to ignore them! 

Cheers,

Kristian