Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar MTP Support (Read 27328 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #25
I've also finally started looking into other media players when I finally got a portable media player. Up until now, I"d burn mp3 CDs or load MP3s onto a USB flashdrive if I wanted to play music in my car. But now that I have a Sansa Clip+, using MSC mode is just illogical and horribly inconvenient. Every player other than Foobar2000 seems to support MTP. Yet none, of course, are as powerful or customizable in the other departments.

I think the fb2k community would realllly appreciate MTP support.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #26
Sorry for bit late bump but
Honestly I think that syncing media libraries is usefull only when you have insane ammount of space on portable player or very small collection on pc
for me its way easier to just copy some files to new dir and then move them to my phone(using mtp protocol only cause its faster than mass storage, doesnt need phone reset to work)
Creating playlists? Ok, it could be a bit easier but I have problems just cause all my portable music is in one dir so its hard to find things

I'm not writing it to tell to not create that plugin but just to show that its nothing you have to cry about(poor guys using wmp just to sync, even with huge storage I'd preffer to use explorer ;d)

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #27
Sorry for bit late bump but
Honestly I think that syncing media libraries is usefull only when you have insane ammount of space on portable player or very small collection on pc
for me its way easier to just copy some files to new dir and then move them to my phone(using mtp protocol only cause its faster than mass storage, doesnt need phone reset to work)
Creating playlists? Ok, it could be a bit easier but I have problems just cause all my portable music is in one dir so its hard to find things

I'm not writing it to tell to not create that plugin but just to show that its nothing you have to cry about(poor guys using wmp just to sync, even with huge storage I'd preffer to use explorer ;d)

Just copying the files would be fine if my library was fully medium-quality MP3. But it's largely also FLAC, and to use FLAC on the portable player, conversion is needed. Having sync in the player would handle the conversion automatically. I tried making my library compatible with WMP as well, and use WMP for syncing, but it also won't convert FLAC to MP3... Plus it can't at all handle the fact that some FLAC albums are just a single file with an embedded cue sheet.

edit: That said, it would suffice if fb2k had a way to send files (converting flac to mp3, embedding low-quality album art for the typically lame devices that don't supper cover.jpg, etc.) to a "staging directory", from where one could just move them to the device.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #28
That said, it would suffice if fb2k had a way to send files (converting flac to mp3, embedding low-quality album art for the typically lame devices that don't supper cover.jpg, etc.) to a "staging directory", from where one could just move them to the device.

Use the built in foo_converter [Right-Click on selection/Album/etc., then select "Convert"]
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #29
…bearing in mind that foobar2000 (still) isn’t capable of automatically embedding art in converted files.