Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will ripping CD's have any negative effect on my DVD drive? (Read 7628 times) previous topic - next topic

Will ripping CD's have any negative effect on my DVD drive?

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a new laptop. It has got this DVD writer - "hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1 SATA CdRom". I wish to rip a few audio cds at thee same time i don't want to damage my drive. Since in my PC i had ripped few cd's both using dbpoweramp and EAC. And now it is having problems reading DVD's. i doubt this is because of the ultra secure ripping of dbpoweramp which stresses the drive. I am not sure about EAC though whether it stresses the drive as much as dbpoweramp ultra secure mode.

All i need is my Cd's accurately ripped to FLAC without damaging my DVD drive in anyway and keeping it as it is.
1) Since you people may have had issues with your own drive kindly tell me how to rip accurately without causing any stress/damage on the dvd drive.
2)Does ripping CD's cause problems with the drive due to the extreme stress on the laser. If yes then how to tackle it?
3) Is there any link where these issues are discussed in much detail kindly tell me.
4)Is it recommended while ripping with EAC to cool the drive in intervals of few minutes by stopping the process?

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

Reply #1
There is a very simple solution: DO NOT use secure ripping! Just rip in burst mode and you will not stress your drive.

Depend on AR to verify the accuracy of your rips. In those rare cases where you do not get AR verification, use test and copy only (reads each track twice and compares the checksums).

Reply #2
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a new laptop. It has got this DVD writer - "hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1 SATA CdRom". I wish to rip a few audio cds at thee same time i don't want to damage my drive. Since in my PC i had ripped few cd's both using dbpoweramp and EAC. And now it is having problems reading DVD's. i doubt this is because of the ultra secure ripping of dbpoweramp which stresses the drive. I am not sure about EAC though whether it stresses the drive as much as dbpoweramp ultra secure mode.

All i need is my Cd's accurately ripped to FLAC without damaging my DVD drive in anyway and keeping it as it is.
1) Since you people may have had issues with your own drive kindly tell me how to rip accurately without causing any stress/damage on the dvd drive.
2)Does ripping CD's cause problems with the drive due to the extreme stress on the laser. If yes then how to tackle it?
3) Is there any link where these issues are discussed in much detail kindly tell me.
4)Is it recommended while ripping with EAC to cool the drive in intervals of few minutes by stopping the process?

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

I think the stress would be on the servo motor rather than the laser. In any case, I've ripped hundreds of discs on the same drive using both EAC and dbPoweramp without any problems. If your CDs are in the AccurateRip database, you'll put very little stress on the drive because the CD can be ripped in burst mode.

If you're worried, and HP replacement drives are expensive, consider buying an external USB drive for ripping. Here's a Lite-On DVD burner for $35:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...USB/Firewire%29

Reply #3
If you are using dBpoweramp then there is no need to switch to burst mode, as AccurateRip verified tracks automatically rip in one pass (which is effectively a burst rip, re-ripping is only done if no accuraterip match), I would not use Ultra secure mode for normal ripping, especially if c2 pointers are enabled.

Reply #4

I don't see it being any special stress on the laser.  It should take less power than burning a CD, and no more than just playing one (on a per hour basis).
With the one drive I've had go bad (on a tower system), it started making odd sounds while spinning up, like the disk was slipping. 

Reply #5
I have had 2 drives go bad over the past 8 years and only after trying to salvage some discs in secure mode with max retry. They started to read some discs fine, but wouldn't read others saying "no disc in drive".

As others have mentioned, I now use burst mode with AccuriteRip verification. If there is a problem I next try CueTools on the already ripped image. It has the ability to fix some errors.
Glass half full!

Reply #6
Thanks everyone for the useful replies.
I found that for discs that are in good condition (Burst mode with accurate rip) and test and copy selected tracks uncompressed can give us accurate results.
But what is the ripping speed in burst mode? I know it is relatively fast than the secure mode. The name burst itself makes me shiver. Can you please put some light on the basic differences the 2 modes apart from the error recovery and their affect on the quality of the rip. And also on the disk drive.

Reply #7
Generally speaking, modern drives rip more accurately at the higher speeds (in that if you force a x4 or x2 speed you will get more errors).

Reply #8
Can't say about laptops, but I've turned a couple of desktop DVD drives into doorstops by ripping a lot of CD's very rapidly.  Every one died from rotation motor bearing death.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston