Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: monkey vs. mpc (Read 9307 times) previous topic - next topic

monkey vs. mpc

Reply #25
that's a trick question.... 

.wav and .ape are the same quality. ape's are better though because the preserve more harddrive space.

did i get it right??

monkey vs. mpc

Reply #26
Heh, i actually put on my "Jean-Luc Picard"-hat before posting an answer to the initial question. If it still sounded harsh, i apologize. We all just wanna help, but i guess sometimes there are these questions which trigger certain reactions...

monkey vs. mpc

Reply #27
Originally posted by Jonny 2x4
.wav and .ape are the same quality. ape's are better though because the preserve more harddrive space. did i get it right??
Yep!  Lossless audio compression can be compared to zip; however the algorithms used are tailored for audio data and will compress sound better than zip in almost every case. The lossless file, when extracted, will be bit wise identical to the original wav. Lossy compression (mp3, mpc, ogg, aac etc) discards some of the data but (tries) to keep the sound intact. If you decompress the lossy files they will not be bit identical to the original but sound just the same. (Note that  lossy schemes do not allways achieve this).