Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: constant bitrates, mp4/aac (Read 3464 times) previous topic - next topic

constant bitrates, mp4/aac

Three questions:

I'm using Psytel Aacenc 2.15.
I tried: aacenc -production -br 256 -low_ath -pns

Why do the demos at http://www.psytel-research.co.yu/showcase.htm have a perfect constant bitrate, ie 192, 128? While my cbr aac files are 252, 251, ect. (aim is 256).

Why do they have the mp4 extension? Whats the difference?

Why do they use mp4_in.dll instead of aac_in.dll in Winamp (i think) and how do i make mine like those with psytel aacenc 2.15? (if i can)

I'm kind of new at this, thanks.

Reply #1
Originally posted by sd273
Three questions:

I'm using Psytel Aacenc 2.15.
I tried: aacenc -production -br 256 -low_ath -pns

No, no, no!
You shouldn't use PNS with any bitrate higher than 64kbps. It ruins the quality with anything above that.

Why do the demos at http://www.psytel-research.co.yu/showcase.htm have a perfect constant bitrate, ie 192, 128? While my cbr aac files are 252, 251, ect. (aim is 256).

You should see CBR in psytel as a kind of ABR. I.E: It takes what will be better for each frame around the bitrate you specified.

There are some hidden switches in Psytel to make the files 100% CBR. But they are not mentioned because they tend to degrade quality if used.

Why do they have the mp4 extension? Whats the difference?

They have been wrapped in MP4 container format by a MP4 multiplexer.

It's the same AAC file but inside it's native container. (Not really AAC anymore - I.E: Can't be played/decoded by an ISO AAC-only decoder)

Why do they use mp4_in.dll instead of aac_in.dll in Winamp (i think) and how do i make mine like those with psytel aacenc 2.15? (if i can)

in_mp4 includes, besides faad, the MP4 demultiplexer - so that it first demultiplex the frames, to feed the ISO AAC stream to the FAAD library.

You can wrap AACs in MP4 format with an util find in my programs->Others page - "Set of MPEG4 tools"
I think the program is mp4creator60

I'm kind of new at this, thanks.

No problem.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #2
thanks very much for the help