Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.1.3 beta1 available (Read 158690 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.1.3 beta1 available

Reply #150
I'd prefer that all downloads be directed through the main link for the Windows Installer on the FLAC project page, as this allows me to compile and implement new installer versions with the greatest of ease.

No problem. Will link to your download main link then. I think your flac113b.exe solution is good, since you said it won't overwrite an existing FLAC plugin (be it Winamp's own (Nullsoft's) or another like Michael Facquet's FLAC plugins).

Don't know who manages these other 'mirrors' that are also linked to from the FLAC main download page, but they still have the old flac113a.exe version that needs to be updated to flac113b.exe:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/flac/flac...ror=superb-west

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=12675

Reply #151
I'd prefer that all downloads be directed through the main link for the Windows Installer on the FLAC project page, as this allows me to compile and implement new installer versions with the greatest of ease.

No problem. Will link to your download main link then. I think your flac113b.exe solution is good, since you said it won't overwrite an existing FLAC plugin (be it Winamp's own (Nullsoft's) or another like Michael Facquet's FLAC plugins).

Don't know who manages these other 'mirrors' that are also linked to from the FLAC main download page, but they still have the old flac113a.exe version that needs to be updated to flac113b.exe:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/flac/flac...ror=superb-west

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=12675

I'm mirroring on sourceforge as an alternate link for the rare event that the main link goes down.  sourceforge has a bunch of mirrors and bandwidth.

updated now.  I'll make an official announcement thread.

Josh

Reply #152
as for the xmms plugin, did you build from source? (i'm guessing so)... you may need to explciitly link libogg, i.e. change line 67 of src/plugin_xmms/Makefile.am to
Code: [Select]
    @OGG_LIBS@ @XMMS_LIBS@ \

also line 33 to
AM_CFLAGS = @OGG_CFLAGS@ @XMMS_CFLAGS@

It doesn't help, the problem remains the same.

Reply #153
I think it is parsing the internally hardcoded "tukey(0.5)" incorrectly in your locale, and fails back to a rectangular window like flac-1.1.2 used.

I noticed the decimal point problem since your public "apodization" test. When the first beta of 1.1.3 was released, I tested it against -A "tukey(0,5)", and there was no problem at all. Obviously, somewhere between beta 2 (20061016) and the 20061120 release something was changed, so the hardcoded "tukey(0.5)" wasn't OK anymore.

Reply #154
updated now.  I'll make an official announcement thread.

Josh

Thanks Josh for everything you do, and also thanks to Mike Wren for his work on the Windows installer. Thanks also for agreeing to do a formal annnouncement thread -- this beta one gotten a bit long

BTW Josh, I posted http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=452975 with some modified incorrect URLs and some new FLAC supporting apps. Not sure if you saw that. Would be nice to have these added/corrected on the download.html page on the site (and inside the distro). Thanks again.

Also wanted to let everyone know I just posted a new thread about the new version of the Adobe Audition filter that supports FLAC version 1.1.3.

I posted a new thead on the Winamp forum requesting FLAC 1.1.3 support in their FLAC decoder including support for diplaying/editing Album Art tags and song Lyrics. Sent an E-mail to Florian at MP3TAG requesting FLAC 1.1.3 support for tagging.

Reply #155
BTW Josh, I posted http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=452975 with some modified incorrect URLs and some new FLAC supporting apps. Not sure if you saw that. Would be nice to have these added/corrected on the download.html page on the site (and inside the distro). Thanks again.

ok, fixed on website

as for the xmms plugin, did you build from source? (i'm guessing so)... you may need to explciitly link libogg, i.e. change line 67 of src/plugin_xmms/Makefile.am to
    @OGG_LIBS@ @XMMS_LIBS@ \

also line 33 to
AM_CFLAGS = @OGG_CFLAGS@ @XMMS_CFLAGS@

It doesn't help, the problem remains the same.

hmm, did 'make' also cause automake to be run to update Makefile.in, then configure to generate Makefile?  sometimes it doesn't and you have to rerun those manually.  but I will keep looking into it.

Josh

Reply #156
hmm, did 'make' also cause automake to be run to update Makefile.in, then configure to generate Makefile?  sometimes it doesn't and you have to rerun those manually.  but I will keep looking into it.

I ran ./autogen.sh after patching, it worked! Thank you!

Reply #157
This Post & test is about the "final" flac 1.1.3 ,
FLAC_vendor = reference libFLAC 1.1.3 20061120
[/i]

ok, as promised in the other flac 113 topic in flac forum,
I made some tests on my non-UK-WindowsXP/"German general setup",
for time reasons I selected randomly only one short a capella song,
from album Oslo of 1995 made by 6-Zylinder,
song 09 , Das Sandmaennchen , 57 seconds (incl pregap)
16 bit stereo, 44.1 kHz

it compresses by flac 112 in -8 -V to 760 kbit/s.

Also for time reason I compressed only to my preferred setting -8 / --best :

Comparisons:

flac 113 -8 -V  761 !! -> bigger than flac 112 with same settings....
flac 113 -8 -A tukey(0.5)  -V 761 !!
flac 113 -8 -A tukey(0,5)  -V 738 -> nice, but what a custom switch..

flac 113 made by Case -8 -V 738 -> very nice, but no offical download from flac page
flac 113 made by Case -8 -A tukey(0.5)  -V 738
flac 113 made by Case -8 -A tukey(0,5)  -V 738

Remark:
All above test files with identical above given bitrate, are also bit-identical tested by Windows-Commander32s bit-compare function.

addon test:
Juli - 01 - Dieses Leben , 4:34 min:s
flac 112 -8 -V 983
flac 113 -8 -V 983
flac 113Case -8 -V 975 -> 112 is 0.8% bigger, nice result

Also important, that decodes to wav of all Juli encodings resulted to same wav, bit identical.

Nice:

- On this non-representative test file, flac 112 -8 is 0.8%-3% bigger than flac 113 -8 , excellent progress of FLAC 1.1.3 !
- Adding  -A tukey(0,5) is necessary to circumvent the bug of flac 113, to benefit of the progress of the 113 compared to 112. Otherwise, 113 produces even slightly bigger or same filesizes than 112. 2 days ago a friend, who had read and written in past even at HA, told me, flac113 would be bigger in size than 112, he would not use 113, there you are...  Consider, please: Is flac 113 a good release for the broad public and flacs own repuatation?
- Case's flac 113 works fool proof. Nice.
Possible solution: Offer case's flac compile at the offical flac page instead of current bugged 113, maybe with other version number like 1.1.3.1, or better 1.1.4 so that people outside update from 113 to 114/113Case as soon as possible, to avoid bigger encodes than necessary, and the resulted confusion about flac ?

Reply #158
I've submitted patches to the vorbis-dev list and the package maintainters for flac-1.1.3, maybe I should put them here too.

Those three patches don't seem to be enough:
checking for FLAC__stream_decoder_process_single in -lFLAC... no
configure: WARNING: libFLAC missing
checking for OggFLAC__stream_decoder_new in -lOggFLAC... no
configure: WARNING: libOggFLAC missing
checking for FLAC/stream_decoder.h... yes
configure: WARNING: FLAC and/on OggFLAC libraries or headers missing, oggenc
will NOT be built with FLAC read support.
configure: WARNING: FLAC and/or OggFLAC libraries or headers missing, ogg123
will NOT be built with FLAC read support.

Reply #159
did you run autogen.sh after applying the patch?  I couldn't make a patch for configure itself.

Reply #160
Ah! It worked after running autoconf (also ran aclocal and automake before that, I don't know if that matters). FYI, there's no autogen.sh in vorbis-tools 1.1.1.
And here's the combined patch (view / download).