Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RealSystem Fileformat/Renderer plugin (Read 5976 times) previous topic - next topic

RealSystem Fileformat/Renderer plugin

Hi!

I think a nice (and manageable) project would be to create
a RealSystem plugin for Ogg Vorbis.

Why?

* Then you can play Ogg content with Real Player
* And you will see RealJukebox play Ogg files.

RealSystem is a modular multimedia architecture very similar to DirectShow. It is based on a COM object module structure, but is also available for the Linux and Solaris platform.

It's not the first time I've written a plugin for Real System (actually this would be the second time).

So I am probably going to wait for the Ogg RC3 release and then go for this (approximately) one-week project. And yes, I am going open source with this.

I might also investigate if it will be possible to do a on-the-fly conversion of Ogg files to MP3 for storing on portable players (RealJukebox has support for portable players, but only MP3 so far).

Reply #1
Originally posted by cbuchner1
So I am probably going to wait for the Ogg RC3 release and then go for this (approximately) one-week project. And yes, I am going open source with this.

If you are only going to tackle the decoder side, there's no need to wait.

The decoding API is frozen and the RC1 decoder can decode any future Vorbis 1.0 file.

The RC2 decoder (and RC3 and RC4...) was identical save some minor bugfix.

--
GCP

Reply #2
Originally posted by Garf
If you are only going to tackle the decoder side, there's no need to wait.

Hmm, then there is only these two excuses left not to start coding right now: That is the beautiful weather and my new, blue mountainbike

Reply #3
Hi,

I released the Sonique RC2 plugin, I have therefore an ok knowledge of how to do it (I also made the AAC DShow filter so if RealSystem is a bit like that maybe ill have some clues

If you need help, or are enjoying your weather too much  (im in England and its friggin' cold!) and dont want to do it & there was demand for it, I could do it instead.....

Let me know if I can be of some use to you, otherwise good luck!

Cheers,
-Nic

Reply #4
Are you still going to open up the source to your AAC DS filter, Nic?

Reply #5
Definitely, Definitely ive just been so busy. Got a job offer today (my first ever job & my first ever interview  so ive been so busy.The source is just messy.I wrote Menno not so long ago (to tell him of HydrogenAudio (Ivan had already told him though) and said I would get round to it.I think I might send it in as is.At least to get it in and clean it up later  (ive just got things on higher priority right now than cleaning up my disastrously messy DShow code

Cheers for the interest YouriP (oh and I got a strange email today about my WMA2WAV prog......)

Cheers,
-Nic

Reply #6
Thanks, it's just that I've been wanting to check it out for a while now.  Please add that AAC2WAV source too, okay?

A strange email about WMA2WAV? What was it all about then?

Reply #7
Sure thing  I grabbed a bit of code that I use all the time from FAAD which calculates bitrate,samplerate,channels,etc this is really useful (I think I made it into aacinfo.h - cant remember - So thats should be useful to a few people) AAC2WAV is just that with RageOMatic's Wav.c code from FAAD  But ill include all the code - AAC2WAV is even messier due to all the workarounds ive tried to get AAC to sync properly.

The email was from a french guy who is making a collection of DivX Shareware software.He wanted me to sign a authorisation thing allowing him to do it (he's obviously part of some thingy selling shareware on CDs or something ???

If your real desperate Youri for the source ill email it to you as is....youll just have to excuse the mess

Cheers,
-Nic

Reply #8
Originally posted by Garf

The decoding API is frozen and the RC1 decoder can decode any future Vorbis 1.0 file.
GCP

I realized that Real has its very own File I/O scheme based on COM interfaces. A call to the Read function is answered asynchronously by a COM function call on a different interface.

Wow. I wonder how that mixes with the low level I/O of libvorbis - if at all. So I guess this takes somewhat longer than one week.
This does not seem a matter of just using existing vorbis DLLs. I guess it implies modifying or rewriting the Vorbis file/filestructure parsing code.

Reply #9
(sorry for going off topic cbuchner1)

I think it'll be a while before Menno adds it to the FAAC tree, so if you could send it to me that'd be great.  Though you could also put it up on your website - then everyone would be able to have a look at it if they want to. If you'd rather not have it publicly "ransacked" though, you can just send it to me.  w.pepplinkhuizen(at)chello.nl

The email was from a french guy who is making a collection of DivX Shareware software.He wanted me to sign a authorisation thing allowing him to do it (he's obviously part of some thingy selling shareware on CDs or something ???
See? Your program has already made prime time.

Reply #10
So, umm. A brief update:

The file format and renderer plugins for Real Media ™ are making progress. It was extremely tricky to "mate" the ogg-vorbis architecture with the asynchronous I/O calls in Real Media. ;-)

On the Vorbis mailinglist I heard that I was essentially duplicating efforts. There is already some crude version of a plugin in the CVS tree, lacking seeking and streaming capabilities.

But since my efforts have already made significant progress, I decided to continue my work.

I also intend to add RTP packetization and streaming. So any Real Server will be able to stream ogg vorbis on demand just by installing the file format plugin.

Unfortunately, the codec can't be downloaded automatically. Real has a very strict and "commercialized" licensing policy concerning the auto-download of codecs.

I don't even know if Real's SDK license allows me to distribute the binaries without them giving the OK. There is some clause that they introduced to prevent others from releasing competitive formats. Now is Ogg a competitor to RealAudio 8 or what )