Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Identify Doubles in Playlist? (Read 1037 times) previous topic - next topic

Identify Doubles in Playlist?

Hey there,

I use foobar to build playlists for mixtapes and shows, as I play a lot of dancehall the sum of tracks can go up high up to 300-400 tunes for a 3-4 hour show which can accidentally result in having a tune twice in the set, during the set I can see already played tracks in my dj software and correct it, but its not actually a good way...

I wonder if there is a way to identify if a track is already in the playlist and highlight it within Facets or highlight double tracks in the standard Playlist View (maybe even different highlighting for first and following appearances)

Any help is appreciated :)

Greetings
Anselm

Re: Identify Doubles in Playlist?

Reply #1
Hey,

I'm not sure there is a way without already knowing in advance which files in the playlist are duplicates. If you already knew you could obviously search in Facets for example - %title% HAS "Brand New" - and Facets would highlight each one.

I'm not sure if you are talking about having the exact same files (same %path%) repeated in the playlist, or separate files with the same or similar tags?

Duplicates cannot exist in the Library unless there are two separate files of the same track (or unless your Library > Configure > Media Library > Music Folders are not sync'd correctly, in which case right-click a folder to Rescan). So if that is the case, one solution might be to just remove the copy-cat files before they even get added to the playlists.

If the former (same %path%), the only other way I can think would be to File > Save Playlist as .m3u8, and import it into an advanced text editor that can Find/Replace duplicate lines. (I think Notepad++ can do this? - here is an article of various ways)

Unless there is a plug-in that I'm not aware of (there are many :D ) that adds such to foobar.

Best of luck 8)

Reply #2
If you want to find duplicates just to remove them from playlist, it is much easier to use menu Edit->Remove duplicates.

Reply #3
^ Hah! Never even saw that was there! :D :-[   (So ignore the last part of my post...)

Reply #4
@anamorphic: I mean exact files... duplicates are handled by similarity and library work
@Rollin: yes, I know that feature, but I'd like to have the control which file is removed and check it, so I'd prefer some highlighting, I use it for putting up some selection playlists where order doesnt matter...

Reply #5
In that case, you could sort the playlist by %path% (Edit > Sort > Sort By File Path) - it would not highlight them, but it would group them together for easy pickings.

(Not sure there is a way to highlight them really. Maybe some custom playlist for the JScript Panel could do it, but you'd have to know how to code javascript, or ask someone in the discussion thread if it would be possible...)

Reply #6
maybe thats something that could also help me with my other idea... is there any kind of tutorial or way to see how the actual painting process works?