Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools v2.1.6 • Window Size & Position Fix? (Read 3990 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools v2.1.6 • Window Size & Position Fix?

Hi Everybody  :)

I am running CUETools v2.1.6 portable on a Windows 7 PC.

'Most every time I open the application anew, its size and position has changed from the previous ones I had made. Since I use CUETools very often, this has become a vexing problem, which I am desperate to solve. I have already scoured the web for solutions, but while I have tried some, nothing seems to stick. I am now holding out that someone here might provide the solution. Could it perhaps be done via the app config-file?

Thank you.

Re: CUETools v2.1.6 • Window Size & Position Fix?

Reply #1
So you've deleted the user_profiles_enabled file from the CUETools folder to make it portable.
A sub-folder named \CUE Tools is created for your settings file, localDB, etc. the next time you run CUETools.
A sub-folder named \CUERipper is created for your settings file the next time you run CUERipper.
Did you also delete the CUE Tools and/or CUERipper folder(s) from %appdata% if they existed?
(the %appdata% folders should be ignored by CUETools/CUERipper when the user_profiles_enabled file is missing but... )

For the size and position in the settings file for CUETools
WidthIncrement=
HeightIncrement=
Top=
Left=

For the size in the settings file for CUERipper
WidthIncrement=
HeightIncrement=
(position settings are ignored)
korth

Reply #2
Thank you, and thank very much Korth! I have now got it set up perfectly just the way I want it.  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #3
Report-back: 

After a reboot of my PC, I am now left wondering about the circumstances which will force the CUETools settings.txt file to return to its default settings for the app window size and position. This is what happened after I rebooted the PC. I appreciate any pointers you may have for me to solve this, since the settings.txt file is part of a portable installation.

Reply #4
Are all settings returning to default? If CUETools can't read/find the settings file when it starts, it will use default settings and attempt to create a new settings file.
korth

Reply #5
·
Are all settings returning to default? If CUETools can't read/find the settings file when it starts, it will use default settings and attempt to create a new settings file.

As far as I can tell, the answer is no, not all, only the size and position settings. It was the first thing I checked, as I do not generally save any of my changes to the defaults to a new profile -- I keep on using the "modified" default profile. Could it be due to that? I suppose best way out is to save my own settings to a new profile, and afterwards to restore the default? Do I do that by simply deleting the current settings.txt file, and upon restart the app will recreate a new default?
·

Reply #6
If you rename or delete the settings.txt file CUETools will create a new one. If CUETools is running when you do this, the new file will be based on the current state when CUETools is closed. If CUETools is not running, a new file will be created the next time you start CUETools with all default (1st time run) settings.

The profile files can only store part of the settings. Some settings are only saved to or read from the settings.txt file. Example: If (while running in a profile) you make changes to the encoder settings and move the position of the GUI, when you exit CUETools the encoder changes are saved to the profile and the GUI position is saved to settings.txt.
korth

Reply #7
·
Thank you for clearing up what happens to the settings.txt file under the different circumstances, Korth.

I went ahead and changed the default window size and position settings to my own preference again, rebooted the PC, and this time the new settings stuck like it should.
·

Reply #8
This problem is back to haunt me...

It seems that my custom window size and position settings for CUETools will stick only under certain circumstances, otherwise is will revert to the default. For instance, the custom settings will endure after a hot reboot of the PC, but are destroyed after a cold reboot. Is there a method I can use to track down exactly how this reversion happens?

Also, I have noticed that the two sub-folders called CUERipper and CUETools, which were created during the programme installation (portable), and each one of which harbour its own settings file, are not in named in exactly the same format:

The folder "CUERipper" is one word, while "CUE•Tools" are spelt as two separate words. Is this be design, and could this perhaps play a role in the problem above?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Reply #9
The name for the "CUE Tools" folder was carried over from the Moitah build and never changed.

I still haven't been able to duplicate what you describe.
korth