Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb (Read 14000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb

Reply #25
Medium experience, what does that mean?

Previously I have used Sony Xperia live with walkman ie., Sony Xperia wt 19i and I have never such a device I mean it provided rich experience while listening to music via headphones or through external speakers. After that I have used Sony Xperia Z1 and it's audio quality was good but at very low volume.

I have used Celkon a20 and it's sound quality was very worse and I got noise while listening to music of high quality. I have even used xiomi redmi h1s and it's audio quality was also not good and it provided audio at very low volume.

Upon reviewing a number of products I think that if I want very high quality sound I must purchase Samsung Galaxy s8 edge, LG g6, HTC U11 etc.,.

Medium experience I mean sound without low volume, noise etc., but without features like hi-fi etc.,.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Re: best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb

Reply #26
It seems that you linked volume with quality somehow. I also have a hm1s
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111806.msg922786.html#msg922786

Yes hm1s has low volume, especially when playing high dynamic range stuff like orchestral music and outdoor listening, but still more than adequate for indoor listening and loudness war mixes. I also don't like it only has a 15-step volume control from silence to max. Volume differences for one step is too big that I can't make fine adjustment, which I'd say it has "lower than medium experience".

Reply #27
It seems that you linked volume with quality somehow. I also have a hm1s
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111806.msg922786.html#msg922786

Yes hm1s has low volume, especially when playing high dynamic range stuff like orchestral music and outdoor listening, but still more than adequate for indoor listening and loudness war mixes. I also don't like it only has a 15-step volume control from silence to max. Volume differences for one step is too big that I can't make fine adjustment, which I'd say it has "lower than medium experience".

So I am asking whether redmi note 5 has similar problems. I think that redmi note 5 is perfectly suitable to me and it comes at lowest price and it lasts for life time if not atleast for 10 years. As I have not used redmi note 5 I am requesting help from you.

If you can't give help on redmi note 5 please try to provide help on redmi note 4 because I think that many of you has obtained redmi note 4.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #28
I'd get Redmi 4A - Notes are fairly large and more expensive.
It comes with OTG, so you can fire up say UAPP and use external DAC with it.
Xiaomi phones usually tops up at 0.55Vrms, not quite compelling value for full sized high-impedance headphones, likely due to EU volume limits.

However I'd advise going the Rockbox route, if you could get your hands on say Clip+ or Zip - I don't think anything for Android can match RB - even the most basic functions like transport controls are often not so well implemented in Android offerings (no Stop button, go to specific time, or Hanning FFT displays). Plus both Sansa DAPs have really good specs in terms of audio.

Also if you're aiming at 10 years of service life - I don't think phones can achieve that in regular use. Moisture and condensation being the issue here - after 5 years you're looking at systemboard-wide solder contamination if you take the device anywhere with you. Devices with IP67 certification could be exempt from this, but then the digitizer layer has limited lifespan too, completely glossing over the fact that you'd have to change the battery every so often (like 2-3 years).
In any case, your phone would be on life support after those 10 years (sic) if it survives.

Low-tech music devices (Panasonic portable CD players) are usually more rugged to withstand years of service, if you don't mind replacing the belt and oiling the reading head (but then who uses those :D [except for yours truly])

Just my 2c
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -- M. Twain

Reply #29
Please review xiomi redmi pro 128 GB version, xiomi redmi mi max 128 GB version. Both has 128 GB internal memory, support upto 256 GB external memory. Pro version has deca core ie., 10 core mediatek processor, mi max version has snapdragon 8 core processor. I think that media tek processor based phones are inferior than snap dragon based phones is it true.

Give me suggestions for above regarding sound quality.

All of you are suggesting that no phone will give 10 years of life time and so I have selected redmi note 5, redmi pro, redmi mi max phones which have superb features at lowest price. If I buy Samsung Galaxy s8 edge there may be chances of life span upto ten years but it costs very much. If I buy Chinese products like alcatel idol, zte axon there may be chances of circuit failure etc., but I have seen a number of people using redmi phones without any problems and even I have seen some people who brought Sony Xperia phones and gone into a number of troubles.

I think that no other company are providing such great features at lowest price with great endurance.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #30
Medium experience, what does that mean?

Previously I have used Sony Xperia live with walkman ie., Sony Xperia wt 19i and I have never such a device I mean it provided rich experience while listening to music via headphones or through external speakers. After that I have used Sony Xperia Z1 and it's audio quality was good but at very low volume.

I have used Celkon a20 and it's sound quality was very worse and I got noise while listening to music of high quality. I have even used xiomi redmi h1s and it's audio quality was also not good and it provided audio at very low volume.

Upon reviewing a number of products I think that if I want very high quality sound I must purchase Samsung Galaxy s8 edge, LG g6, HTC U11 etc.,.

Medium experience I mean sound without low volume, noise etc., but without features like hi-fi etc.,.

Issues like low maximum volume, and low fidelity due to a too-low source impedance are very real and also probable with some phones. As a rule most good phones don't add noise or have audible nonlinear distortion.

You can circumvent the low output and high output impedance situations with an external headphone amp, but while good headphone amps may not a cost a lot, they can be inconvenient with added bulk and complexity.

The Celkon A20 may be something that most first world reader's don't have a lot of recent experience with. The Celkon dual-core 1.2 GHz processor falls short of the current mainstream phones with 2 MHz quad-cores. Also the Celkon seems to  come with Android 4.2 and I've found that my low-buck Android 4 tablet can't run all of the music players that I am interested in trying.

A phone like the HTC that was mentioned earlier  with high output and what seems to be a good audio system seems attractive for music listening. Most listeners can reasonably expected to  interpret its high voltage output with reasonably low distortion as being very clear and giving a good listening experience.

Reply #31
Please review xiomi redmi pro 128 GB version, xiomi redmi mi max 128 GB version. Both has 128 GB internal memory, support upto 256 GB external memory. Pro version has deca core ie., 10 core mediatek processor, mi max version has snapdragon 8 core processor.

All of you are suggesting that no phone will give 10 years of life time and so I have selected redmi note 5, redmi pro, redmi mi max phones which have superb features at lowest price. If I buy Samsung Galaxy s8 edge there may be chances of life span upto ten years but it costs very much. If I buy Chinese products like alcatel idol, zte axon there may be chances of circuit failure etc., but I have seen a number of people using redmi phones without any problems and even I have seen some people who brought Sony Xperia phones and gone into a number of troubles.

I'd imagine there's no correlation between price and lifespan for a smart phone, as long as we aren't comparing extremes.
If anything, more expensive devices, cramped with user friendliness and features might expect their demise sooner than the rest, simply due to the fact that more components are required for it to function correctly, rendering the device impaired in case any of them fails, as opposed to all-in-SOC designs.
Redmi Note 4 or 4X comes with decacore too - but for audio playback, quad core at 1.4GHz is already overkill. Also note, that Pro devices never come in Global variant - e.g. with LTE B20 support (important for EU users)

Internal memory poses another point of hardware failure.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -- M. Twain

Reply #32
Please review xiomi redmi pro 128 GB version, xiomi redmi mi max 128 GB version. Both has 128 GB internal memory, support upto 256 GB external memory. Pro version has deca core ie., 10 core mediatek processor, mi max version has snapdragon 8 core processor.

The reviews don't look awe inspiring. I can't find a review that actually measured the output and provides actual voltages or dBs. The GSMArena data seems to be limited to the acoustical output of the built-in speakers, and it is my impression that the performance of the headphone jack is more important. I can't see where GSMArena says anything about how many volts you can get out of the headphone jack with a 16 ohm load or any other load. And, I can't find any other source, either.

Reply #33
Every Android phone with a microsd card slot ever made will support up to the maximum size allowed by the standard, which is 2TB.
Are you sure about that? At least my Motorola Moto G2 claims to support only 32GB microSD max., but to be honest I've never tried it with a higher capacity.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #34
Every Android phone with a microsd card slot ever made will support up to the maximum size allowed by the standard, which is 2TB.
Are you sure about that? At least my Motorola Moto G2 claims to support only 32GB microSD max., but to be honest I've never tried it with a higher capacity.
The claims are based around maximum capacity that Windows can format as FAT32.
Using other means than MS Disk Formatter, you can create FAT32 partition with sizes of up to 2TBs.
Support for other file systems under Android is rather experimental.

To answer your question, you can put 256GB card in your G2 and it should work, provided it's formatted in FAT32

Reply #35

No the statement is false because I have inserted a 64 GB micro SD card into the memory card slot of a phone which doesn't support 64 GB external memory but supports 32 GB and I was unable to access the content present in 64 GB memory card.

The above happened a number of times for different phones.

Interesting fact is that when I connect 64 GB memory card through USB otg to an Android phone which doesn't support 64 GB external memory I am unable to access the content.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #36

No the statement is false because I have inserted a 64 GB micro SD card into the memory card slot of a phone which doesn't support 64 GB external memory but supports 32 GB and I was unable to access the content present in 64 GB memory card.

Interesting fact is that when I connect 64 GB memory card through USB otg to an Android phone which doesn't support 64 GB external memory I am unable to access the content.
This further hints at different FS used in your instance - as long as you keep FAT, despite its limitations, there are no issues.

Reply #37

Look up what file systems your phones support (definitely fat32 and maybe ext4), format your card into one of those, and it will work.  If it didn't work you probably didn't format it to a supported file system.

Reply #38
My Galaxy S3 supports officially up to 64 gb but my 200 gb card works perfectly fine

Reply #39
How about one of their cheaper (not the loudest) product?
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/57/parameters
Battery life for smartphones can be long or short, depends on user behaviour, doing nothing but play music will have longer battery life for sure.

I like fiio but I don't think the current batch of audiophile players is very good. For example that device gives you about 7db more volume than an average Qualcomm phone in exchange for 128k mp3 playback time comparable to the screen on time of some phones. In terms of power consumption it is easily 10x worse than a decade old mp3 player.  For some people this is fine, but I don't really understand why battery is do poor.

The xudoo x3 is fairly similar (based on a similar reference board as fiio uses I believe).

Reply #40

This report describes a potential false negative indication.

A SD card can be too big or have the wrong format, and from the phone's viewpoint all you will see is nothing.

The "one size fits all"  solution is FAT32.

But Windows won't let you format everything FAT32, even though the device can probably support it.  Once formatted, Windows can see it, too.

To make large FAT32 volumes, there are freeware programs for Windows that will bypass the artificial restrictions that MS put in to force you into EX32 or NTFS. 

You see the patents have run out on FAT32, but are still capable of generating income for NTFS and EX32.

Reply #41
How about one of their cheaper (not the loudest) product?
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/57/parameters
Battery life for smartphones can be long or short, depends on user behaviour, doing nothing but play music will have longer battery life for sure.

I like fiio but I don't think the current batch of audiophile players is very good. For example that device gives you about 7db more volume than an average Qualcomm phone in exchange for 128k mp3 playback time comparable to the screen on time of some phones. In terms of power consumption it is easily 10x worse than a decade old mp3 player.  For some people this is fine, but I don't really understand why battery is do poor.

The xudoo x3 is fairly similar (based on a similar reference board as fiio uses I believe).

IME my FIIO  X1 gen 1 equals or outplays MP3s on my Sansa Clip and my Fuse.  Its measured performance is more than good enough, and generally better than the older Sansa products. The Courier font menus are legible, but not all that pretty.

From the spec sheet, it looks like the X2 is still decent.

Reply #42
In terms of power consumption, it's perhaps more sensible to pair Sansa player with op-amp swapped O2 (TLE2062EP) and enjoy high Vrms out combined with sub-200mW idle consumption, something Fiio and other DAPs have yet to show.

Reply #43
Does all Android phones supports fat32 and ext4 filesystems atleast fat32 filesystem.

Suppose I have format my SD card to fat32 and I am able to access using es file explorer on my phone does all applications like music players etc., behave same as file explorer without any errors like file not found etc.,
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #44
Xiaomi Redmis surely do - Redmi 2 was also marketed with 32GB max - and yet it could handle 128GB without issues.

Recent Androids make a big deal out of restricting write access to SD card, but there should be no problems with reading the content.
Yes, all applications ought to behave normally.

Reply #45
Somewhere I think in XDA forums I have read that manufacturer of phone places restrictions in their hardware or software ie., OS not to support greater than certain size of memory ie., if manufacturer specifies it can support upto 64 GB and if I insert an 128 gb memory card it is not possible to read the contents from SD card using any of the tricks or hacks like formatting SD card to fat32 etc., is it true.

They have posted that if it is possible to read 128 GB memory card on a mobile which support only 64 GB then nobody is going to buy another new mobile which supports 128 GB memory card.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #46
Does all Android phones supports fat32 and ext4 filesystems atleast fat32 filesystem.

FAT32 - yes
ext - with add ons

Suppose I have format my SD card to fat32 and I am able to access using es file explorer on my phone does all applications like music players etc., behave same as file explorer without any errors like file not found etc.,

IME, yes. 

https://shahidhussain.com/best-file-system-for-your-usb-external-drive/

Reply #47
Lots of new high end phones like most Samsung phones after the S5 lack the internal slot.

S7/S7 Edge, S8/S8+ all have microSD slots, it's the reason I bought an S8 :) I can fit all my music on it at last. I bought 250GB as it was cheaper per GB than 256GB. I believe Windows defaults to exFAT for formatting them?

I use a pair of Westone UM Pro 30s and I'm perfectly happy with the output, MP3s too!

Reply #48
I had issues with a Sandisk Ultra 128GB card formatted as exFAT after my phone upgraded itself from android 5.0.1 to 6. My music player (gonemad) had no problem accessing/playing/indexing all my music but I could no longer write/delete from the phone itself using solid explorer (my chosen file management app). As soon as I formatted the card as fat32, I had no problems at all and I can fully manage it again.

If it matters, my phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/vodafone_smart_ultra_6-7313.php

Reply #49

Devices with an SD card slot support fat32. Without an SD card slot, probably not.