Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: George Yohng's VST wrapper for Foobar2000 (Read 183042 times) previous topic - next topic

George Yohng's VST wrapper for Foobar2000

Reply #25
Thanks for great plugin!

PS: Found three bugs (maybe not so buggy  but annoying):
1. Click on start of some VBR songs.
2. Menu don't close when I click on any other window (I think this is not the best windows menu behaviour)
3. Plugin editor, after restarting foobar,  on first load always open preset selection dialog of VST plugin (iOzone 3), instead of plugin's main window.

Reply #26
Wow, very nice plugin  Though it freezes when scanning for Sytrus, which is a bit weird since it's a VSTi (you can grab a trial version at www.sytrus.com to try to reproduce it)

Just two user interface suggestions:
- when skipping through the readme I somehow missed the shift trick, perhaps it would be a good idea to add a text like "if this window freezes please restart fb2k while pressing shift" to the plugin-folder-scan window (or simply to put huge emphasis around this in the readme  )
- the taskbar icon when the wrapper is not in the list of active DSPs is *very* misleading: I loaded up a VST, tweaked the settings and played a song -- but the VST received no data ; I checked all the preferences accessible from the taskbar icon (unchecked the "Bypass" button, etc), to no avail ; I even registered here specifically to post a bug report    when it finally struck me that I had to register it as an "active DSP"
Perhaps the solution would be to hide the taskbar icon when inactive, or if it's too difficult simply to put a tick on the Bypass switch when the wrapper is not an active DSP?

(oh, and a tiny bug: when you click on the taskbar icon there is no way to make the menu disappear by clicking elsewhere, you have to click on something like "About" to get rid of it [note: I have Vista with Desktop compositing enabled, if that matters at all])

EDIT:
Actually, I can't even get the shift trick to work  Vista issue?

(oh and FYI on Vista the ini file is C:\ProgramData\GeorgeYohngVST.ini ^^)

Reply #27
there's no support for 6 channels...
can this feature be added?
im using "V.i Stereo to 5.1 converter".

Reply #28
And another thing. When I delete c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins\ from the path list it appears there again! I don't want to scan that dir at all 
Maybe something can be done?

Reply #29
[..]
im using "V.I Stereo to 5.1 converter".
[edit]: I seem to have mixed up this plugin with another one

I don't know what you mean exactly, if you can use the V.I vst plugin you have 6 channels, don't you?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #30
You use the other VST wrapper, not the one discussed in this thread. This one has no 5.1 support.

Reply #31
You use the other VST wrapper

Oops  , I mixed them up. sorry.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #32
a tiny bug: when you click on the taskbar icon there is no way to make the menu disappear by clicking elsewhere, you have to click on something like "About" to get rid of it [note: I have Vista with Desktop compositing enabled, if that matters at all]
Nope, same with XP.

Reply #33
just discovered this plug, quite amazing ! Thank you so much.
Just one thing bothers me, why does it store plugins settings in C:\Documents and Settings... instead of it's own folder ?
Also, the .ini placed in /all users/....
Why do developpers like to scatter things so much !? To mess with our windows (which are already so messy)... ?

Reply #34
New build is in, not many changes. Added local VST plugin folder, and made 'Rescan All' button work.

The 'menu stays up' bug is something in the underlying 3rd party library that I use (Trolltech Qt) in combination with foobar, which is hard to defeat. To make the menu go away, click anywhere in the foobar window.

To answer why files are stored in different directories:

Settings are stored in all users because this relates to VST plugins installed in the system, while individual plugins presets are stored on per-user basis.

Sytrus - the demo of it doesn't hang here on scanning with the latest build.

Some more comments

>> 1. Click on start of some VBR songs.

Hmm, what should happen? I do not hear anything that is not normal. Could it be related to crossfading? (I have it off)

>> 3. Plugin editor, after restarting foobar, on first load always open preset selection
>> dialog of VST plugin (iOzone 3), instead of plugin's main window.

This must be something Ozone 3 specific. There is no control of which windows comes up within the plugin GUI. I only tell it to appear and load the previously stored data, and it's interesting why Ozone reacts this way.

Try loading the plugin inside Xlutop or Acon chainer inserted, does it do the same?

And another thing. When I delete c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins\ from the path list it appears there again! I don't want to scan that dir at all 
Maybe something can be done?

Perhaps this logic is not the best, I have added it so that there is at least one (standard) VST directory in the list for people, who always click Next in all VST plugin installers.

If several people offer something better or simply vote it away, I will remove it.

Thanks,
George.

Reply #35
New build is in, not many changes.
Good stuff as always. No changes to the W1 Limiter I suppose? The file date hasn't changed at least. I'm using the W1 Limiter for music, in all its simplicity it's still perfect for my needs.

Reply #36
The 'menu stays up' bug is something in the underlying 3rd party library that I use (Trolltech Qt) in combination with foobar, which is hard to defeat. To make the menu go away, click anywhere in the foobar window.

A better tip to  overcome this is to click somewhere in the menu itself but release the button somewhere outside of it. it happens in many other programs too, usually with windows' tray bar context menu.

Awesome work George, finally a stable VST pluing for foobar! Many many thanks!

Reply #37
George,
I am experimenting with Foobar and different room correction engines. I am trying to use the IK Multimedia ARC VST plug-in with your VST wrapper. When I scan with VST Setup the plugin is not detected. Simply nothing happens. Other plugins like EffectChainer are properly recognized.
The plugin DLL is installed at “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\ARC.dll” and it works fine with Cubase.  Do you have any suggestions?

George

Reply #38
George:

Thanks for the great plugin. The only thing is that there is always a \vstPlugin folder that I cannot delete.
I have tried to keep other folders there and delete this one and it did not go away. I tried to reinstall
the wrapper and delete the ini file of the wrapper, it is still there. In fact, I do not have such a folder at all.
So is there any way for me to remove it? I think someone else also mentioned the problem and you wanted to
know if more people had that problem or not and did not like it. I am not sure if it is a problem or a feature.
I certainly do not want this feature if it is one.
Thanks in advance.

ftc

Reply #39
Now a new build is released (1.2)

- By several requests, the default plugin folder should be gone
- The tray menu should pop up at a correct position on Vista and Windows 7

http://www.yohng.com/foobarvst.zip

Reply #40
Now a new build is released (1.2)

- By several requests, the default plugin folder should be gone
- The tray menu should pop up at a correct position on Vista and Windows 7

http://www.yohng.com/foobarvst.zip

Works great on XP. Thanks!

The "Free VST Effects" link in the tray menu doesn't look right. It's an empty search result page on KVRAudio?

Reply #41

is this feature planned?
i would be really grateful for adding this 

Reply #42
Hell yeah! Thanks, George!
Kinda late, but I was just about to make this request again, and here it is - a new version!

Reply #43
George, was there anything else you fixed in 1.2? Because I was getting quite bent out of shape about a distortion I was seeing with NyquistEq, but it went away entirely when I upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2. But your release notes don't really mention anything fixed like that.

Reply #44

is this feature planned?
i would be really grateful for adding this 

This feature is very interesting. I read the post of the developer, he's looking for a developer who can help to develop this option.

Reply #45
is it me or when you wanna overwrite a program, you do get a confirming dialog box...but it doesn't do it at all ?!

anyway, thanks for this great plugin!

I also wish there wasn't any systray icon, and that all could be managed in the foobar DSP config but that's OK! I often click on it by mistake when I wanna see the foobar GUI

maybe you could add an option in the foobar DSP config to show/hide the systray icon?

and the .fxp files your plugin creates can't be opened in EffectChainer for some reason ?! it says "failed to load chunk data" 

Reply #46
Are there any George Yohng's VST wrapper users who would find it useful if I would post here a table with VSTs I have successfully tested with foobar2000 v0.9.6.5 on Windows XP (32 bit)?

Robertina.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #47
Yes you can

Reply #49
Yes you can

Here are some freeware VSTs I have successfully tested with George Yohng's VST wrapper v1.2 and foobar2000 v0.9.6.5 on Windows XP SP2/SP3 (32 bit) with DEP. Please do not misinterpret the listing as a recommendation. Personal annotations are written in italic.

VST plugin // hint // personal statement

- Acon Digital Media EffectChainer v1.0.2 // I don't want to miss it.
- ANWIDA Soft DX Reverb Light v2.0
- Audio Damage Rough Rider v1.0.0.1 // For the hard boiled ones.
- BetaBugsAudio VSTs // All BetaBugs-VSTs are working.
- BetaBugsAudio Bug Drive
- Breebaart VSTs (Jeroen Breebaart) // All freeware-VSTs are working.
- BTE Audio // Tested Juicy 77 v1.0 and TS' Secret 1.0
- Camel Audio CamelCrusher v1.41
- Christian-W. Budde // Tested all except VST Pascal Script, Tetris, VariableDelay
- Dasample GlaceVerb v1.01* // You should give it a try!
- Digitalfishphones (Sascha Eversmeier) // All VSTs are working.
- Dream Vortex Studio Leveling Amp v1.2 // Ping Pong Delay 2.0 works too. // Try Leveling Amp.
- Elogoxa VSTs // Tested Baxxpander 1.2, X-cita 1.2, Elottronix (XL) 1.3 (1.4). // For special needs.
- JC Productionz // Tested Sonix, X-Flanger 1.1
- Kjaerhus Audio // All freeware-VSTs are working. // Good sounding VSTs and very helpfully imo.
- Leftover Lasagne PushTec v1.2
- Luxonix LFX-1310 v1.2.2 // Multi effect-VST
- MB plugins (Martin Blankenburg)* // All VSTs are working. // Stereoizer Pro sounds excellent.
- Musicrow Audio Software // Tested Preamp Emulator
- Nubi3 Spinner LE // Leslie effect
- NUSofting // Tested Reverbering v1.2
- otiumFX // Tested bassLANE v1.2
- PSP audioware // Tested PSP VintageMeter
- Silverspike // All freeware-VSTs are working.
- Spirit Canyon Audio // All VSTs are working.
- Smartelectronix VSTs by Bram de Jong // Tested Anechoic Room Simulator and SupaPhaser.
- Smartelectronix VSTs by DestroyFX (= Sophia Poirier & Tom Murphy) // Tested EQ Sync, Monomaker, Scrubby, TransVerb.
- Smartelectronix VSTs by Magnus Jonsson // Tested Ambience (donationware with nag screen at startup) // Sounds great!
- Smartelectronix VSTs by mda (= Paul Kellett) // All VSTs are working.
- Sonalksis // Tested FreeG (metering)
- Starplugs // All freeware-VSTs are working. For download you have to register.
- Terry West // Tested CompEQ-V, Easy-NY, EasyVox-F, Gold Pro, PanBundle, Silver, Steady Pro Bundle, VocEQPro.
- Tin Brooke Tales archive (= Daniel Lind) // Only E-Kit Trigger 1.1 does not work.
- Voxengo // All freeware-VSTs v1.x are working, v2.x (Multi-platform support) do not work here (no sound).
- Wurr Audio (= Patrick Wurr) // All freeware-VSTs are working.

* Dasample and MB plugins both seem to be down at the moment. You can read their VST descriptions at KVRaudio. If the web pages don't come back and you are interested in I could provide the VSTs as far as I am allowed to (I would have to check the license agreements at first).

Notes

Although their parameters are loaded correctly some VSTs display instead of their preset names default no. or init no. in the VST wrapper, put them into Acon's EffectChainer to remedy this.

If you are missing descriptions or screenshots on the vendor web pages you will find them on KVRaudio.

At this juncture I would like to thank Mr. Yohng for his VST wrapper very much; testing how a VST would change the sound of an audio file is quickly done and for me much more comfortable than using any audio editor. Thanks to foobar too, that it allows to apply DSPs on converting.

Robertina.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.