Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Ripping - Duration is wrong (Read 3168 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Ripping - Duration is wrong

Hello

i ripped today a audio-cd (Don't worry I bought the CD legally) with the dbpowerAmp CD Ripper. After the ripping i saw that the duration of many songs are 3-5 seconds longer, than the original duration on the back cover.

is that normal ????

PS: sorry for my bad english 

Reply #2
what do you mean with that ?

Reply #3
The times on the back cover are wrong.

If you think there the problem specifically has to do with ripping to mp3, rip to wave instead and check the times again.

Reply #4
are you sure ?  i mean the producers should know the right duration....

sorry when i'm annoying you but in so cases i am very nit-picking and i want that everything should be perfect

Reply #7
The times on the back cover are wrong.

If you think there the problem specifically has to do with ripping to mp3, rip to wave instead and check the times again.

i ripped the cd to WAVE and the lenght is still 3-5 seconds longer, so wrong

Reply #8
There are frequently gaps between tracks on a CD, of varying lengths.

When the tracks are ripped, those gaps are added to the individual tracks (usually at the end) in order to preserve the correct timing between tracks when playing them back as an album.

This is very likely what you're seeing.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #9
To be charitable the times on the back cover may not include silence between tracks (or applause/lead-in to the next track for a live disc) and these gaps may also be indexed on the disc itself.

EDIT: beaten by mixminus1.

Reply #10
yes at the end of the songs there is a silence of 3-5 seconds

but the lenght of tracks in the audio cd are also 3-5 seconds longer

Reply #11
yes at the end of the songs there is a silence of 3-5 seconds

When playing some CDs there is a silence that counts down at the beginning of tracks. This is probably added to the rip.

P

Reply #13
The playing time that is written on the back of the CD cover is almost always off by a few seconds. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's the norm rather than the exception.

Reply #14
The playing time that is written on the back of the CD cover is almost always off by a few seconds. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's the norm rather than the exception.

Usually (and I know from experience with mastering that some producers explicitly want it so), the times shown on the back cover are the actual playing times of the songs from the first to the last note. Usually you have about 0.1 to 0.5 seconds of fade-in before the actual music starts, and generally 1 to 5 seconds fadeout while the reverberation from the last note dies down. Add to this the standard 2-second gap of digital silence (zero level) between tracks, and you have an explanation for your MP3s being a few seconds longer than the advertised durations.

One explnation is that printed durations are mostly for radio use. As you will know, they never play the fade-ins, fade-outs and silent gaps on the air, but start the next track as soon as - often even slightly before - the last note of the preceding one has sounded to get a continuous "sound-carpet". If everybody included all the "empty air" in the printed durations, radio DJs would easily come up with an extra minute at the end of the hour, and they obviously don't like that, so a sure way to not get much airplay is to write longer than necessary durations on your CDs!