Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: UPnP media server (Read 1575 times) previous topic - next topic

UPnP media server

I have foobar2000 with the UPnP media server from their website running on a laptop (the slave) and a desktop computer (the host with all my cds ripped to it).

When I access host music files on the slave computer all the information (album art, comments, etc.) from the host shows up in players' various UI Elements. - as if it were accessing the files from its' own hard drive - exactly as I would  hope.

Selecting the slaves' "Playback Capture Stream" in the "UPnp browser" element brings the music playing on the host player to the slave with some track data showing up in the "UPnP controller" - again as expected.  I can edit the "foo_upnp" program to change the info sent out (I got rid of the codec and bit rate info - all files are FLAC); so the UPnP is all working ok and probably exactly as designed.

The slave "Playlist View" element shows "foobar2000 - ?  Playback Stream Capture" in the artist/album/track columns where I would ideally see the info for the song that is playing..

I have been fooling around with the settings and googling without any sucess in finding out if any of the the following are possible:

1. Get the metadata that shows up in the slaves' UPnP controller element into the other fields - I would think that since it is there I should be able to access it and move it around.

2. Get the album art from the host displayed on the slave - if #1 isn't possible this probably isn't either (to repeat the album art comes up with music when the  slave is accessing the hosts' files but NOT in the Stream Capture).

3. If 1+2 aren't possible is there a way to enlarge the UPnP controller info window and use larger text so I can see it at a glance?

Any help would be appreciated, I've only been using foobar for a week and might be missing something.

Thanks in advance.
Roy

UPnP media server

Reply #1
I have foobar2000 with the UPnP media server from their website running on a laptop (the slave) and a desktop computer (the host with all my cds ripped to it).

When I access host music files on the slave computer all the information (album art, comments, etc.) from the host shows up in players' various UI Elements. - as if it were accessing the files from its' own hard drive - exactly as I would  hope.

Selecting the slaves' "Playback Capture Stream" in the "UPnp browser" element brings the music playing on the host player to the slave with some track data showing up in the "UPnP controller" - again as expected.  I can edit the "foo_upnp" program to change the info sent out (I got rid of the codec and bit rate info - all files are FLAC); so the UPnP is all working ok and probably exactly as designed.

The slave "Playlist View" element shows "foobar2000 - ?  Playback Stream Capture" in the artist/album/track columns where I would ideally see the info for the song that is playing..

I have been fooling around with the settings and googling without any sucess in finding out if any of the the following are possible:

1. Get the metadata that shows up in the slaves' UPnP controller element into the other fields - I would think that since it is there I should be able to access it and move it around.

2. Get the album art from the host displayed on the slave - if #1 isn't possible this probably isn't either (to repeat the album art comes up with music when the  slave is accessing the hosts' files but NOT in the Stream Capture).

3. If 1+2 aren't possible is there a way to enlarge the UPnP controller info window and use larger text so I can see it at a glance?

"The slave "Playlist View" element shows "foobar2000 - ?  Playback Stream Capture" in the artist/album/track columns where I would ideally see the info for the song that is playing.." => that's currently not possible to see playing track metadata here. This would theorically be possible if the stream was a Shoutcast stream with metadata (track title, artist) but that is not the case.

If you want to control playback on your desktop computer from your laptop, you can just select the associated foobar2000 renderer in the UPnP Controller, and send
music to it (drag tracks to the UPnP Controller window or use context menu on selected tracks > UPnP Controller).

I'm not sure what you mean exactly with 1. and 2. so I cannot really comment. Maybe just describe what you want to achieve.

UPnP media server

Reply #2
To put it another way; I want the laptop screen (now all "?" except in UPnP controller element) to mirror the desktop screen (album art/artist/album/title/etc. in playlist element).

I think you've answered my questions - there is no provision to send the metadata along with the music.

Thanks for the information bubbleguuum.