Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Peter Eastty joined Apple as Director of SoC Audio Processing (Read 2977 times) previous topic - next topic

Peter Eastty joined Apple as Director of SoC Audio Processing

An interesting article on MacRumors:
Audio expert Peter Eastty of Oxford Digital Limited has left the company he co-founded to work for Apple. According to his LinkedIn profile, Eastty joined Apple in September of this year as the Director of SoC (System on Chip) Audio Processing.

Eastty's career in digital audio spans more than 40 years, including oversight of a pioneering digital audio team at Solid State Logic, a 13-year stint at Sony as a chief consultant engineer, and more than eight years as CTO at Oxford Digital. Most of his work has focused on digital audio and digital signal processing for audio equipment.

Details on Eastty's role as Director of SoC Audio Processing are unknown, but he likely is using his DSP expertise to improve the audio quality of Apple's hardware. Earlier rumors suggested Apple was working to add support for 24-bit audio files in iOS 8 and create a new 24-bit capable version of its In-Ear headphones, but those reports have not yet panned out.
[..]
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1813863

I very much doubt he'll be designing DACs for Apple, they can easily buy top-notch stuff off the shelf. However, what audio related hardware could warrant such a hire?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #1
... create a new 24-bit capable version of its In-Ear headphones...

What?

I very much doubt he'll be designing DACs for Apple, they can easily buy top-notch stuff off the shelf. However, what audio related hardware could warrant such a hire?

Designing DSP for the Apple soc in iPhone and iPad.

Reply #2
... create a new 24-bit capable version of its In-Ear headphones...

What?

Must be digital headphones.  I've seen that printed on so many packets, it must be true.

The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #3
I think Macrumors is getting a bit confused. I take it they refer to those Philips Fidelio M2L headphones that have the DAC in the headphones instead of using the analog out of the device. They use the digital out of the iDevices in the Lightning connector.

I do wonder what Peter Eastty is going to do though. Would it be DSP related stuff for voice recognition hardware? Apple has being hiring a lot of engineers from Nuance lately to beef up their voice recognition technology team. Perhaps the Director of SoC Audio Processing needs to oversee the integration into their own silicon.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead