Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_mpv - Video Player component based on mpv (Read 36589 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_mpv - Video Player component based on mpv

This component allows playing local video files in foobar2000 using libmpv.

It is not a foobar decoder, it will just play the video for files that foobar is already playing via other input components. You may need to install other decoders or foo_input_ffmpeg to play certain files.

Features
- Video player can be a default UI element, columns UI panel or a separate window
- On-screen control on the video
- Fullscreen mode
- Generates video thumbnails as album art, with optional manual thumbnail chooser
- Video panels can act as an album art viewer when no video is present to avoid wasting space
- Reads mpv.conf and input.conf
- Provides some interfaces for integrating mpv Lua scripts with foobar2000

Home and readme
Download

Re: foo_mpv - Video Player component based on mpv

Reply #1
Thanks a lot. I have been waiting for this component. I use mpv everyday. Nice to see it supports h/w decoding, external and embedded subtitles, portable config which all basic thing I need. Good job!.

Reply #2
The MKV/WEBM/FLV file cannot be played.
What is the list with previews below in your screenshot?

Reply #3

Does foobar play the file normally?

If so please enable mpv's log: in Advanced preferences->Playback->mpv enable both options for logging, then restart playback and check the contents of foobar's console and mpv's log, <Profile Folder>/mpv/mpv.log.

If the log doesn't exist try stopping and restarting playback.

The component is facets

Reply #4
Noted: video does not start playing if the video window is defined as the UI Element of the layout.
To start video playback in this case, you must select any other tab and then select in the main menu: "View/mpv Video".

And a few suggestions for future versions:
- add the ability to change the background of the UI Element of the video window
- include the component as the name "video decoder" in the list of other decoders in the preferences window
- add integration with youtube-dl
- add the ability to play video streams

Thanks to the developer for this component!
I wish you success in the development of the project and soon placement the component in the official repository!

Reply #5
Noted: video does not start playing if the video window is defined as the UI Element of the layout.
To start video playback in this case, you must select any other tab and then select in the main menu: "View/mpv Video".

Thanks for the report. I can reproduce the case where the video won't start if the video tab isn't selected on startup, I think this is what you mean?

And a few suggestions for future versions:
- add the ability to change the background of the UI Element of the video window

Noted.

- include the component as the name "video decoder" in the list of other decoders in the preferences window
- add integration with youtube-dl
- add the ability to play video streams

mpv isn't actually decoding any audio for foobar so it's not necessary to be in the decoder list.

Regarding youtube, it might be possible to implement playing youtube streams in a simple way, to use as an alternative video player for the current youtube component. mpv already supports playing youtube videos, so it might be possible to have the existing youtube component download only audio and feed it to foobar, and simultaneously have mpv fetch and play the video. I will look into it at a later date.

Reply #6
I can reproduce the case where the video won't start if the video tab isn't selected on startup, I think this is what you mean?
The video does not start when the video tab is selected.
To start playing the video, I need to select another tab and then select "View / Video in mpv format".

Regarding youtube, it might be possible to implement playing youtube streams in a simple way, to use as an alternative video player for the current youtube component. mpv already supports playing youtube videos, so it might be possible to have the existing youtube component download only audio and feed it to foobar, and simultaneously have mpv fetch and play the video. I will look into it at a later date.
I meant HLS video streams. The current youtube component does not sync video and audio well enough when playing these streams.

Reply #7
The video does not start when the video tab is selected.
To start playing the video, I need to select another tab and then select "View / Video in mpv format".

OK understood. Could you attach a screenshot of your layout?

I meant HLS streams. The youtube component has problems with the synchronization of video and sound when playing these streams.

I think live streams might be beyond the scope of this component, as there is no absolute 'current playback position' that can be synchronised between foobar/mpv if they are both reading from a livestream separately. It would depend whether foobar exposes the stream's current timestamp to components, but I don't think it does.

Reply #8
Hi.  I'm apparently doing something wrong.  I installed the plug-in in the usual manner using Foobar 1.6 on Windows 10 1903 and it does show up in my component list.  But when I run it from either the view menu or as a DUI UI element I just get a blank screen and the error message "Error: Could not load mpv-1.dll: error code 126" is written to the console.  I copied the MPV folder containing mpv-1.dll to the profile folder and also tried moving it to the main Foobar folder.  I also tried copying just the dll itself to these folders.  I am using a portable install and wonder if that could be the problem.  Any suggestions?

Reply #9
Hi.  I'm apparently doing something wrong.  I installed the plug-in in the usual manner using Foobar 1.6 on Windows 10 1903 and it does show up in my component list.  But when I run it from either the view menu or as a DUI UI element I just get a blank screen and the error message "Error: Could not load mpv-1.dll: error code 126" is written to the console.  I copied the MPV folder containing mpv-1.dll to the profile folder and also tried moving it to the main Foobar folder.  I also tried copying just the dll itself to these folders.  I am using a portable install and wonder if that could be the problem.  Any suggestions?

It should install to the right place if you install it by dragging the whole zip onto foobar's component window (or browsing to it using the Install button). The mpv folder containing mpv-1.dll should be in the same folder as the component dll, so I think for a portable install it should be like
<foobar folder>\profile\user-components\foo_mpv\mpv\mpv-1.dll
<foobar folder>\profile\user-components\foo_mpv\foo_mpv.dll

Reply #10
Thank you very much, that did it.  I think I may have just installed the foo_mpv dll instead of the zip file.  Thank you for developing this component and making it available to all of us.

Reply #11
Hi there.

Does It play all video extensions (.wmv, .avi, .mpg...)?

Reply #12
Hi there.

Does It play all video extensions (.wmv, .avi, .mpg...)?

For any file you play in foobar, it will ask mpv to try and play it. If there is no video track because it's music, mpv will just idle until the next track plays. So yes it should play anything mpv can normally play.

Reply #13
Thank you very much!

Reply #14
I'm not able to see AVI or MPG at all. As I remember they are not supported from F2K codebase. It would be perfect since I have many videoclips from older times.

And also it's much quicker than youtube. OK not the same functionality but an important step.

Reply #15
I'm not able to see AVI or MPG at all. As I remember they are not supported from F2K codebase. It would be perfect since I have many videoclips from older times.

And also it's much quicker than youtube. OK not the same functionality but an important step.

It should play if foobar can play the audio. Foobar should be able to play them if you install and configure the ffmpeg decoder component

Reply #16
It should play if foobar can play the audio. Foobar should be able to play them if you install and configure the ffmpeg decoder component

I thought that the component would auto-configure it shelf. I was wrong. I did what it should be done ad now I'm ready.

Reply #17
New release v0.2

-Faster and more accurate synchronisation when seeking and starting playback. Should be reasonably close to standalone mpv now
-Context menu added to the video
-Columns UI panel
-Only one instance of the video plays at a time, and it moves to the largest currently visible panel or the popup window as you change tabs or resize your layout
-Option to pin the video to any one panel temporarily
-Popup window can optionally remain visible when foobar is minimized
-Option to set the popup window title via title formatting
-Option to set the background colour

Please report any issues here or on Github

Download

Reply #18
Everything works great!
Timely start of .vob video playback was achieved by decreasing the value "Hard sync ..." = 1000 ms.

- is it possible to display statistics like the i / I key in MPV? (see pic.)
- in future versions of the component, it would be useful to see the state of audio / video synchronization during playback.

Reply #19
- is it possible to display statistics like the i / I key in MPV? (see pic.)
- in future versions of the component, it would be useful to see the state of audio / video synchronization during playback.

You should be able to run scripts by reenabling load-scripts option (maybe I shouldn't disable that). You can also re-enable the default stats script by re-enabling the option "load-stats-overlay". However it won't be visible because no input is passed through to mpv from the component, so you can't trigger it, making it useless. You could modify the script to be always visible but there probably isn't any nice way to trigger it manually at the moment. As an alternative some statistics are shown in the context menu already, though.

You can see detailed information about the A/V sync in the console if you enable the 'verbose console logging' advanced preference.

Reply #20
Timely start of .vob video playback was achieved by decreasing the value "Hard sync ..." = 1000 ms.

Actually, if this made a big difference I would be interested if you could post some output of the verbose console logging when playback starts.

Reply #21
Changing the parameter affects the time from starting playback until the first frame is displayed.
But changing the parameter "Minimum time ..." = 1 sec.
I attach verbose logging with different settings of these parameters.

- It would be great to allow the mpv.log file content to be output to the fb2k console (as an option).

Reply #22
@sammoth
Thank you so much for this wonderful component!
Everything works as it should.
A small request to add some functions:
 - hide the mouse cursor in full screen (if possible)
 - single mouse click full screen / restore the video window (if possible)

And another moment when embedding a window in CUI, there is a frame around the window, is it possible to remove or disable it?
(Screenshot at the bottom of the message)

I am hardly familiar with MPV player and I have a question about aspect ratio, is it possible to disable this function? It is necessary in order to stretch the video to the entire window.

Reply #23

Does foobar play the file normally?

If so please enable mpv's log: in Advanced preferences->Playback->mpv enable both options for logging, then restart playback and check the contents of foobar's console and mpv's log, <Profile Folder>/mpv/mpv.log.

If the log doesn't exist try stopping and restarting playback.

The component is facets

The video will be played for 0.3 seconds, and then an error message will pop up: Unable to open item for playback (Corrupted file or unsupported format):
"....mkv"

The time and size of the video are not visible in the list.

BTW
facets can't show any screenshots.

Reply #24
The video will be played for 0.3 seconds, and then an error message will pop up: Unable to open item for playback (Corrupted file or unsupported format):
"....mkv"

This is an error from foobar's decoder. This component isn't a decoder so it is not related. You could try installing the ffmpeg decoder component and setting it to play mkv files, as it's a little more forgiving of corrupt files than foobar's native decoder.

BTW
facets can't show any screenshots.

You can generate thumbnails yourself and associate them with your videos as album art in the usual ways.

Changing the parameter affects the time from starting playback until the first frame is displayed.
But changing the parameter "Minimum time ..." = 1 sec.
I attach verbose logging with different settings of these parameters.

The '10 second' file looks strange, I think that's a bug where mpv is incorrectly paused. But is that the start of the log? Normally there would be some information before, like 'mpv: Loading item...'. Did you start playback in that test by just double clicking a file or pressing play in foobar?

- hide the mouse cursor in full screen (if possible)
 - single mouse click full screen / restore the video window (if possible)

Yes good idea

And another moment when embedding a window in CUI, there is a frame around the window, is it possible to remove or disable it?
(Screenshot at the bottom of the message)

Oops I missed that, yes I will remove it.

I am hardly familiar with MPV player and I have a question about aspect ratio, is it possible to disable this function? It is necessary in order to stretch the video to the entire window.

Yes you can set either "panscan=1.0" or "no-keepaspect" in mpv.conf depending on whether you want the video to zoom and crop or just stretch and squish the aspect ratio