Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Text, Album Info, Picture. www.last.fm (Read 72497 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: WSH Panel Mod scr...

Re: Biography Text, Album Info, Picture. www.last.fm

Reply #225
In my machine your new version is slower but your previous version was faster than stock and didn't produced crashes.
I would expect the first dev version to be faster than the 2nd, because I had to move things back up in the startup stack. If that really did make a difference it probably went right back to slowing things down. Unless lender sees any improvements this experiment is probably DOA. I still think it's faster on my machine, but I barely know what I'm doing anymore. Probably placebo or I changed something else.

A clean portable install with only spider monkey, no library and only one script loaded maybe?
In my experience this is usually enough to get the script to finish execution very very fast (<1s in my test today). But that's not super helpful since nobody runs fb2k like that.

BTW, @regor will probably think this is the ultimate shitpost, but I just keep beating the same dead horse:
Code: [Select]
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.2-dev+ce39bb09 (Last.fm Bio: Biography, Covers, Albums, Title, Similar artist, Lyrics info.www.last.fm v01052021 by kgena_ua): initialized in 2262 ms
User's music_graph_descriptors - File loaded: D:\Source\foobar2000_portable\scripts\SMP\xxx-scripts\helpers\music_graph_descriptors_xxx_user.js
User's music_graph_descriptors has been loaded but it contains no changes... using only default one.
music_graph_descriptors_xxx: Basic debug enabled
music_graph_descriptors_xxx: Advanced debug enabled
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.2-dev+ce39bb09 (Search by Distance Buttons: Search by Distance Buttons by xxx): initialized in 5731 ms
User Interface initialized in: 0:08.871954
I'll save him the speech about needing to spend time optimizing his code though. ;)

Reply #226
Great work. Seems like the test component made very little difference for you. You can also see that which script gets caught in the UI thread starvation slowdown changes every time which was kind of my original point in this whole discussion: that kgena's script wasn't really the culprit, but whatever.

This makes me thinks when I saw it.

The script that its first loaded takes a long time. And no mathers if is a script that do a lot of things (library tree) or one that in theory would not have to do much like a panel of bio with the info to show downloaded already.

Reply #227
The script that its first loaded takes a long time. And no mathers if is a script that do a lot of things (library tree) or one that in theory would not have to do much like a panel of bio with the info to shown downloaded already.
That's what I've been trying to say, and why approached it from the other non-script side.

When loaded after UI is visible:
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.2-dev+ce39bb09 (Search by Distance Buttons: Search by Distance Buttons by xxx): initialized in 67 ms
When it's 100x slower at startup, it's probably not the script's fault :) Ultimately I think FSM just needs to load more stuff than JSP did, and if your script doesn't win the race to finish before stuff starts being loaded and execution slows to a crawl then you're out of luck. FSM would need a major refactor to solve that one (delaying loading until something is actually used) and I'm not competent enough to do that.

Reply #228
In my machine your new version is slower but your previous version was faster than stock and didn't produced crashes.
I would expect the first dev version to be faster than the 2nd, because I had to move things back up in the startup stack. If that really did make a difference it probably went right back to slowing things down. Unless lender sees any improvements this experiment is probably DOA. I still think it's faster on my machine, but I barely know what I'm doing anymore. Probably placebo or I changed something else.

A clean portable install with only spider monkey, no library and only one script loaded maybe?
In my experience this is usually enough to get the script to finish execution very very fast (<1s in my test today). But that's not super helpful since nobody runs fb2k like that.

BTW, @regor will probably think this is the ultimate shitpost, but I just keep beating the same dead horse:
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.2-dev+ce39bb09 (Last.fm Bio: Biography, Covers, Albums, Title, Similar artist, Lyrics info.www.last.fm v01052021 by kgena_ua): initialized in 2262 ms
User's music_graph_descriptors - File loaded: D:\Source\foobar2000_portable\scripts\SMP\xxx-scripts\helpers\music_graph_descriptors_xxx_user.js
User's music_graph_descriptors has been loaded but it contains no changes... using only default one.
music_graph_descriptors_xxx: Basic debug enabled
music_graph_descriptors_xxx: Advanced debug enabled
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.2-dev+ce39bb09 (Search by Distance Buttons: Search by Distance Buttons by xxx): initialized in 5731 ms
User Interface initialized in: 0:08.871954
I'll save him the speech about needing to spend time optimizing his code though. ;)

You developers are bad people.  :))

Reply #229
@MordredKLB
2 tests: SMP timer = 5 seconds
pc completely rebooted each time

1 - popup 1x
2 - popup 2x

variant 2 took an eternity

@paregistrase
please test with the version from 2021-05-01 from kgena_ua - thanks

Reply #230
@paregistrase
please test with the version from 2021-05-01 from kgena_ua - thanks

Give me a link. No problem.

Reply #231
kgena_ua - version 2021-05-01 (this thead,, page 6, Post #149)

sorry, I'm too stupid to put in a link.

Reply #232
Components loaded in: 0:00.311639
Configuration read in: 0:00.050435
foobar2000 v1.6.6 beta 8 [portable]
Shell hook registration failure: 0
Watching: Z:\media\xxxxx
Watching: Z:\media\xxxxx
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (Biography (overriden by script): Biography, Covers, Albums, Title, Similar artist, Lyrics info.www.last.fm v01052021 by kgena_ua): initialized in 12759 ms
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (Musicbrainz: Musicbrainz by marc2003): initialized in 124 ms
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (Last.fm Similar Artists + User Charts + Recent Tracks: Last.fm Similar Artists + User Charts + Recent Tracks by marc2003): initialized in 59 ms
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (Last.fm Similar Artists + User Charts + Recent Tracks: Last.fm Similar Artists + User Charts + Recent Tracks by marc2003): initialized in 37 ms
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (Last.fm Similar Artists + User Charts + Recent Tracks: Last.fm Similar Artists + User Charts + Recent Tracks by marc2003): initialized in 51 ms
User Interface initialized in: 0:13.456856
FFmpeg version: 4.3.1
foo_enhanced_playcount: loaded
Querying last.fm: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/xxxxx
Startup time : 0:17.284290

Reply #233
Thanks, MordredKLB, paregistrase.
One question. Without optimization, I have
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (bio: Biography, Covers, Albums, Title, Similar artist, Lyrics info.www.last.fm v01052021 by kgena_ua): initialized in 281 ms
281 ms
why do you have
12759 ms...  2262 ms .... 12808 ms ......
UR5EQF. Ukraine

Reply #234
Thanks, MordredKLB, paregistrase.
One question. Without optimization, I have
Spider Monkey Panel v1.4.1 (bio: Biography, Covers, Albums, Title, Similar artist, Lyrics info.www.last.fm v01052021 by kgena_ua): initialized in 281 ms
281 ms
why do you have
12759 ms. or  2262 ms.  or 12808 ms ......
UR5EQF. Ukraine

Reply #235
UR5EQF. Ukraine

Reply #236
When the script take a lot of time is when is running first.

When Library tree is the first executed the times of your script are low.

This is consistent in every test i made. (is the same for the other bio script too)

the script that is executed first takes the impact.

We think that the long start ups are more related with the way SMP starts and not a problem with a specific script.

Maybe MordredKLB can gives you a more detailed answer. I'm only a user I have no idea of programing

He call it "UI thread starvation". God kill me if i know what this meant exactly

Reply #237

Library tree ?
But 281 ms and  12759 ms. or  2262 ms.  or 12808 ms ......
what is the connection
UR5EQF. Ukraine

Reply #238

Library tree ?

Another script for SMP that at least in my setup is executed by SMP always in first place.

When is not present the first executed are yours or the other bio.

When is present and executed first your script run in a blink.

But when is removed yours is the first executed and takes a lot to finished.

Don¡t know why but this always happend (at least in my system)

Reply #239
@paregistrase
I noticed in another thread that you run foobar in Linux. Is this the setup in which you provided the measurements?

Reply #240
But 281 ms and  12759 ms. or  2262 ms.  or 12808 ms ......
what is the connection

Well. all of them. :) depending of the order that was executed

The connection?

That is the big question.

Quoting MordredKLB:
"Seems like the test component made very little difference for you. You can also see that which script gets caught in the UI thread starvation slowdown changes every time which was kind of my original point in this whole discussion: that kgena's script wasn't really the culprit, but whatever."

Reply #242
I'm also poor, so I can't help you with that.
I wonder if running under Wine makes a difference 🤔

Reply #243
I'm also poor, so I can't help you with that.
I wonder if running under Wine makes a difference 🤔

it is very possible, wine has its limitations.

If a windows user could make a similar test we will have an answer.

Reply #244
hello kgena_ua

please create the option at "similar artist" whether to be saved in "history" or not

thank you

Reply #245
hello kgena_ua

please create the option at "similar artist" whether to be saved in "history" or not

thank you
i will do it and do some fixes
UR5EQF. Ukraine

Reply #246
hello kgena_ua

something else i noticed:
whenever last-fm is accessed, the rest of the plugins are completely blocked for the duration of the access.
only the music continues to play.
column-ui (cursor-skip to current track), runtime display, vu-meters ... all are blocked.

i use smp 1.4.1 and your script from 2021/05
maybe you'll find some irregularities

thx

Reply #247
is there a need to view covers in the biography panel ?
UR5EQF. Ukraine

Reply #249
Biography, Albums, Title, Similar artist, Lyrics info.www.last.fm
version: 02082021

Optimization.
The saved data is not compatible with the new version

UR5EQF. Ukraine