Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to creat screenshot like hydrogenaudio wiki Image? (Read 9528 times) previous topic - next topic

How to creat screenshot like hydrogenaudio wiki Image?

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ces-General.png
This is a image from hydrogenaudio wiki.Which is captured of non-rectangular windows with customized and transparent backgrounds, and the addition of eye-candy drop shadows.
I know WinSnap can do this,but it's shareware and have watermark.
I wonder what's the name of screenshots utility?

Reply #1
Windows Clippings was free, but not anymore. However if you type correct version number (I forgot it now) instead current version download link you may fetch it free

Snipping tools (that comes with Windows) doesn't add shadow and transparency, but you can add drop shadow by almost any graphic editor

I'm pleased when I see someone considering making screenshots better, instead posting ugly PrintScreens

Reply #2
You might want to try Screenshot Captor.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #3
@cuthead: Unlike WinSnap or other artificial capture programs, WindowsClippings captures what's on your Desktop, so if you have shadows enabled - it will catch it, if you have Aero enabled - it will catch transperency... more info on his blog

However, the author removed free version which was 1.5.8, but it can be found elsewhere of course, to save you the trouble, i.e.: link

Reply #4
You probably are fully aware of this already, and this is probably a stupid answer, but just to make sure...
You have tried pressing ALT+PrintScreen, right? It works in WinXP, i don't know how it works in Aero, i guess it doesn't work since there are all these programs for making it work ^^

Reply #6
OP: Vista and Windows 7 have a built in Snipping Tool.  Just look for "Snipping Tool" in your program->accessories.

You have tried pressing ALT+PrintScreen, right? It works in WinXP, i don't know how it works in Aero, i guess it doesn't work since there are all these programs for making it work ^^

It still works without issue in Vista and Windows 7.  On my keyboard I don't even have to press alt.

However, this captures the entire screen and you'll have to crop it using a photoeditor.  This is fine for a few images, but can be a real nuisance if you are creating a tutorial or some documentation with multiple screen captures of less than full screen regions.

Reply #7
this captures the entire screen

No, it doesn't. Print Screen on its own does that. Holding Alt copies an image of the currently active window, but doesn't provide any fanciness like "customized and transparent backgrounds, and the addition of eye-candy drop shadows", which the OP apparently desires (and I would say are irrelevant for the purposes of a wiki, not to mention operating systems, but whatever).

Reply #8
No, it doesn't. Print Screen on its own does that. Holding Alt copies an image of the currently active window...

Well that's a useful feature I never knew about!  Thanks.

Reply #9
Also with transparency support and free:
http://code.google.com/p/zscreen/

Sorry for my late reply.Appreciate all of you for reply
What a great screeenshot tool!  Thank you so much dano,zscreen is the best screeenshot tool I've ever seen.GNU Code license,powerful,simple default setting,autosave,update activity,I really love it.
Let me explain the vista/win7 aero window with my poor english,it has three new features different from winxp.They are transparent background,transparent corner and shadow effect.The normal screeenshot tool(like print screen) cannot handle those features(I used Screenshot Captor,but it's too complicated).Let me show you the different.
print screen

zscreen

print screen's screenshot doesn't have transparent corner and shadow effect.,and window background show my desktop,so you know my desktop,that's not what I want.
zscreen have transparent corner and shadow effect.,and window background does't show my desktop,If you wanna turn off transparent corner and shadow effect,and let people know your desktop,just turn on in option menu.

Reply #10
zscreen have transparent corner and shadow effect.,and window background does't show my desktop,If you wanna turn off transparent corner and shadow effect,and let people know your desktop,just turn on in option menu.

This is actually very cool. This has been bothering me ever since Aero was introduced. The background visible, although blurry, and sometimes the window frame is cropped, too, at least with the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows.