Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Pioneer burner to make EAC and co. unnecessary? (Read 19670 times) previous topic - next topic

New Pioneer burner to make EAC and co. unnecessary?

According to a news article I found on CdrInfo.com, Pioneer is going to release a new 20x DVD burner that has a feature for accurately reading audio CDs. Wondering how well the unit will perform.

Reply #1
Until i see some actual review of that feature and not just marketing talk, the motto is...

Reply #2
I want one! *drooooolll*

In addition, the drive features the "PURE READ" function, to compensate the noise introduced when a scratched or dusty audio CD is reproduced. The idea behind PURE READ is to try and correct damaged sectors which are read from the Audio-CD. The feature re-reads damaged sectors to see if it can recover them. When a sector that is difficult to read is detected, the laser tries to re-read the damaged sector. Not just re-reading the sector, but the drive will actually adjust its read parameters (I.E. higher or lower laser power and the angle of the laser beam are adjusted) to try and get the best-possible read-back from that damaged sector. An algorithm calculates the "best" or "average" result it achieves, and that information (I.E. the best-possible result) is then used as part of the final ripped file. Re-reading of damaged sectors can be up to a maximum of 40 times.

Note: I edited a few unnessesary things out.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #3
According to a news article I found on CdrInfo.com, Pioneer is going to release a new 20x DVD burner that has a feature for accurately reading audio CDs. Wondering how well the unit will perform.

I must say it looks interesting. Hopefully it will deliver as well. Does anyone know if there are other drives which has similar features or is this the first drive to enter the market?

Reply #4
This device could be candidate for replacing my broken-on-arrival Plextor.

PURE READ

These loud names make the actual hardware look cheap though.

Reply #5
An algorithm calculates the "best" or "average" result it achieves, and that information (I.E. the best-possible result) is then used as part of the final ripped file.

"best" does not equal "average"!!!

Seems like it's going to increase the chances of getting consistent errors if you ask me.

Reply #6
Maybe it will have PURE READ button on it, accessible only from the rear
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #7
I'm quite worried about another feature, the PowerRead.

** In a standard PC environment, DVD-Video is treated as 1 type of data, therefore, if a section is deemed unreadable, playback will stop. With PowerRead, the user-experience is similar to the AV side, making it possible to play the remainder of the disc. **

It would allow errors slip through, downgrading DVDs to the audio CD level of error detection.

Let's hope the Pioneer's "QuietDrive utility" is not graphically bloated, so that one can quickly adjust these advanced functions.

Now that Plextor is no more, there is a need for better-than-average drives.

Reply #8
Now that Plextor is no more, there is a need for better-than-average drives.

Within the last few years, Plextor DAE performance has not exactly been better than average.

Reply #9
An algorithm calculates the "best" or "average" result it achieves, and that information (I.E. the best-possible result) is then used as part of the final ripped file.

"best" does not equal "average"!!!

Seems like it's going to increase the chances of getting consistent errors if you ask me.

Yes, this drive could be a PITA for secure ripping. Although the part where it said that it adjust its read parameters (I.E. higher or lower laser power and the angle of the laser beam are adjusted) sounds interesting. But it's a wasted effort if this feature can't be controlled by software, and everything happens automagically "in the black box".

I hope they're aware of the conistent error problem and the read parameter adjustment is actually minimizing the chance of that (for example by introducing radonmess when adjusting the parameters)  and not maximizing it (by using a very limited adjustment strategy).

Reply #10
Yes, this drive could be a PITA for secure ripping.

As Sebastian put it, the drive will make secure ripping unnecessary.  The problem is that "secure" seems to be moving farther away from accurate.  It's bad enough that so many people mistakenly believe that getting the same result twice means it was accurate.  Now a drive that averages bad data and calls the result good???

Reply #11

It isn't always possible to get a 'perfect' read.  Striving for the 'best' read even when 'perfect' isn't possible is a laudable objective.

Reply #12
It isn't always possible to get a 'perfect' read.  Striving for the 'best' read even when 'perfect' isn't possible is a laudable objective.

I agree, but hopefully this won't be done in such a way as to conceal less than perfect reads from secure ripping programs.

Reply #14
it that's true i'm gonna regret just buying 2 samsung sh-s203b drives

Reply #15
Sounds definitely interesting, hopefully it is not a PR trick...
I might buy one....

Reply #16
it that's true i'm gonna regret just buying 2 samsung sh-s203b drives

Why?  I thought Samsung made good drives.

Then again, as a linux user you'll probably benefit from such a drive seeing as though the ripping solutions aren't as good unless you're also using Wine.

Still, diversity in drives is the way to go.  There is no one superlative drive that is able to get through all types of disc problems and I doubt this is going to change even with this new technology by Pioneer.

Maybe you should have only bought one Samsung. 

Reply #17
even if it has accurate reading...i would still use eac/dbpoweramp and accuraterip to know that my rips were good

Reply #18
even if it has accurate reading...i would still use eac/dbpoweramp and accuraterip to know that my rips were good

Absolutely!  Even if these drives render EAC, dBpoweramp and the like ineffective, AccurateRip will still be the best way to confirm a rip. 

Reply #20
I would really like to know if it supports over-reading and HTOA.

Is there any objective technical reason why most drives cannot read beyond what it believes is the start and end of disc? In the past one was required to hot swap Minidiscs without the device noticing in order to read the "unpartitioned" space, this trick also had to be employed for reading some protected game console CDs. But, remember that we are using a Personal Computer, for god's sake – where everything should be possible.

Reply #21
Within the last few years, Plextor DAE performance has not exactly been better than average.

True ... the last real good Plextor drive for DAE was the original 2003 Premium CDRW. Everything that came afterwards was worse in terms of DAE.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #22
From what I've read even the Premium wasn't as good as earlier models, but I might not be remembering correctly.

Reply #24
From what I've read even the Premium wasn't as good as earlier models, but I might not be remembering correctly.

My Premium 1 (in conjunction with Plextools) ripped audio CD's that no other drive could rip ... and I own a lot of drives (~ 50 still operational units), including older Plextor models like the famous PX-40TS or PX-W2410A.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper