Skip to main content

Topic: Which MP1/MP2/MP3 encoders does not use FASTENC/FRAUNHOFER/LAME ? (Read 1776 times) previous topic - next topic

• Jedinhopy
  • [*]
Which MP1/MP2/MP3 encoders does not use FASTENC/FRAUNHOFER/LAME ?
Since i only collect mp3 encoders which sounds unique when comparing their MP1/MP2/MP3 encodings against each other.

If all versions of:
(FASTENC/FRAUNHOFER/LAME) ,  uses the same psychoacoustic models and settings.

Then only keeping one version for each encoder makes sense.

• [JAZ]
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Which MP1/MP2/MP3 encoders does not use FASTENC/FRAUNHOFER/LAME ?
Reply #1
"Which mp3 software can replace every other mp3 frame with the frame before it? "
"I can't use libav like this:"
"Which MP1/MP2/MP3 encoders does not use FASTENC/FRAUNHOFER/LAME ?"

You don't have a track of reasonable questions...

First, let's clarify your sentences:
Of course, LAME does not use the same pyschoacoustic model than fraunhoffer, so I guess you mean to ask if each brand keeps the same psychoacoustic model in all its versions.

Next, obviously, you are asking if all the versions of the encoders have the same quality, which has an obvious answer: False.
In fact, LAME has had many important changes in its model ( GPSYCHO ) since it was first introduced in version 3.0 in 1999.

So whatever you want to achieve, you cannot reduce it to a single version of a single product.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #2
In fact, LAME has had many important changes in its model (GPSYCHO)
IIRC LAME also has second psychoacoustic model called nspsytune.

• Jedinhopy
  • [*]
Reply #3
"Which mp3 software can replace every other mp3 frame with the frame before it? "
"I can't use libav like this:"
"Which MP1/MP2/MP3 encoders does not use FASTENC/FRAUNHOFER/LAME ?"

You don't have a track of reasonable questions...
What ?

• [JAZ]
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
@lvqcl : yes, you are right. I don't remember if the whole nspsytune is currently present in the main branch, or only some of the improvements were backported from naoki's work.

@Jedinhopy : I just looked at your previous posts and all of your questions have been strange... Asking for something unusual for an MP3 file, asking about how to use a not recommended encoder and now about psychoacoustics and putting MP1/MP2/MP3 all in the same bag as if it was all the same.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #5
and now about psychoacoustics and putting MP1/MP2/MP3 all in the same bag as if it was all the same.

And also "collect mp3 encoders which sounds unique" phrase... What does it mean?

• Jedinhopy
  • [*]
Reply #6
collect mp3 encoders which sounds unique" phrase... What does it mean?
That does not produce 99% identical results.

• [JAZ]
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I am not sure where you could find the information to get exactly what you want, but you sure can make a distinction in this way:

- dist10 based, minimally modified code  ( bladeenc, 8hz,  lame previous to 3.0 etc).
- lame gpsycho, previous to "alt-presets" (pre 3.92)
- lame previous to VBR "mtrh" tunnings (pre 3.96)
- current lame
- buggy fastenc (pirated code)
- official fastenc (i think this was used as a plugin in some wave editors, DAWs, aside of the command line application)
- official fraunhoffer.
- apple's itunes mp3 encoder (from older versions )
- apple's quicktime mp3 encoder

This is a rough list but can give you some idea on what to look for

• Jedinhopy
  • [*]
Reply #8
Is:
(mpeg Encoder v0.07a - by SoloH)
, based on the (official fraunhoffer) ? and/or which version of the (official fraunhoffer) ?

Does the:
(Internal MP2 Encoder (version 1.12, engine 1.12) )
, . In (CDex Version 1.30 Beta 8), sound unique when compared to:
(twolame) and the MPEG encoders in: (SCMPX Version 1.5.1) and: (Electronic Cosmo's MPEG Suite 1.5) ?

And:
(8hz-mp3-011b)
, uses:
(Psychoacoustic Model: AT&T)

And does the:
(Xing MP3 Encoder (C) 1999 Xing Technology Inc.)
(x3enc.exe)
, sound unique apart from excluding stereo at low bitrates?

And does:
(Mthree Development WAV to MP3 Encoder Version 2.0.8)
, sound unique?

And does the:
(mp3-tvq-e22)
(TestEnc.exe)
, sound unique too?
  • Last Edit: 11 September, 2017, 05:41:58 AM by Jedinhopy

• [JAZ]
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
You will have to find out on some of those questions, but a few things should be obvious.

Soloh MPEG encoder is obviously not fraunhoffer.
Soloh MPEG Encoder v0.07a (slow, uses ISO Code)
  ISO = dist10 = demonstration code (simple, to show people how to generate such files). Many initial third-party mp3 encoders started from this code. Fraunhoffer code did not.

8hz-mp3, as i said, is a dist10 based encoder. Not sure where you found that "AT&T", but if anything, it might imply dist10.

I completely forgot about Xing.  Xing would be one of the encoders that you want to keep, but there are two quite different versions:  1.x, and 2.x, most importantly, the one released with the product "AudioCatalyst". Most of the problems existed in 1.x, although 2.x is not a high quality encoder at moredate bitrates. In comparison, it was up to 8 times faster than the competition.

Xing almost dissapeared, but the Helix MP3 encoder is a descendant from it. (AFAIK)