Skip to main content

Topic: Re: >20kHz content found in vinyl? (Read 1627 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: >20kHz content fo...

• scannercf
  • [*]
Re: >20kHz content found in vinyl?
Looking at rips fo DVD-A, SACDs, BluRay relases of old analog recordings, where the tapes were transferred to digital at >16/44, I quite often see a straight line (or rarely, two)  in ultrasonic regions of spectral views, representing inaudible hum/buzz from video monitors in the recording/mixing/mastering studio.  That's 'original' but it's noise rather than signal...original noise, I guess we can call it.

I've found this line present in a 24/96 copy I've made of the 2009 release of Nirvana's Nevermind (it shows all across the record, both sides). The record was mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog master tapes ... do you think this is one of those cases or maybe the "line" may also be present in the master tapes?

• cliveb
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #1
I've found this line present in a 24/96 copy I've made of the 2009 release of Nirvana's Nevermind (it shows all across the record, both sides). The record was mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog master tapes ... do you think this is one of those cases or maybe the "line" may also be present in the master tapes?
When you say "across the record, both sides", I take it that you're referring to a vinyl LP that you've transferred?
In which case, have you considered the possibility that it is not on the LP but was introduced by something during the digital transfer?

Reply #2
Looking at rips fo DVD-A, SACDs, BluRay relases of old analog recordings, where the tapes were transferred to digital at >16/44, I quite often see a straight line (or rarely, two)  in ultrasonic regions of spectral views, representing inaudible hum/buzz from video monitors in the recording/mixing/mastering studio.  That's 'original' but it's noise rather than signal...original noise, I guess we can call it.

Please provide details about what this is and how it was made.

• DVDdoug
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
:D  :D I guess we have a good reason NOT to record at 96kHz...  We don't need 30kHz noise going through our amps to our tweeters!

...Somewhere I read, "The wider you open the window, the more dust comes in."