Skip to main content

Topic: wavpack can't compress large wav (4gb+) (Read 2891 times) previous topic - next topic

• kC_
  • [*]
wavpack can't compress large wav (4gb+)
Hi, I record lots of live concerts to multi track audio (24bit, broadcast wav) some shows can be 4-5 hours and some of the stereo files can get into the 5gb area...
Wavpack does a stunning job when it comes to archiving audio, but it doesnt even attempt to compress these large files. (And I don't want to split them) is there a switch or something else I need to do to allow it?

Thanks
  • Last Edit: 10 April, 2015, 02:16:13 PM by kC_

• saratoga
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1
Technically wav is limited to 4GB files. If your .wav files are bigger they are probably some extension. Do you know which? See if you can find a frontend that supports it.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #2
What sampling rate do these files have?

• kC_
  • [*]
Reply #3
Hi thanks,
these files are broadcast wav rf64,  bwf - (just with the extension .wav)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

they are 44.1, 24bit

all of the mono, and stereo files pack just fine with wavpack, im using the frontend
http://members.home.nl/w.speek/wavpack.htm

however once a file gets over 4gb it doesnt get compressed, it just gets skipped.

thankyou!

• saratoga
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Use a frontend that supports rf64.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #5
RF64 files smaller than 4 GB can be made fully compatible with WAV format.  RF64 bigger than 4 GB cannot. And apparently WavPack doesn't support RF64.

P.S. Many players don't like WV files bigger than 4GB. No problems with decoding and playback, but some problems with seeking.

• kC_
  • [*]
Reply #6
Ok thanks for the info.

I'm not looking to play these.. They are just being compressed to save space..
Should I ever need the projects again I would decompress.

• bryant
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #7
The current version of WavPack does not support either of the extensions that allow wav files greater than 4 GB, however this is planned for the next major release (which will be fairly soon, with any luck).

• kC_
  • [*]
Reply #8
The current version of WavPack does not support either of the extensions that allow wav files greater than 4 GB, however this is planned for the next major release (which will be fairly soon, with any luck).

That's great news!!! (If you need any testing.. Let me know!)

Garry

• kC_
  • [*]
Reply #9
Hi, just wondering if there is any news on this or if i should start looking at alternatives?

many thanks
Garry

• bryant
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #10
I am still planning on this as my next enhancement for WavPack (after I release a quick update for the 4.75.0 release). Unfortunately I've been working a lot on paying work the last two months, which has slowed progress on WavPack. As soon as I start testing something, I'll let you know!

• kC_
  • [*]
Reply #11
ok great stuff!
thanks