Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: early alpha version of xmms-wavpack plugin (Read 44566 times) previous topic - next topic

early alpha version of xmms-wavpack plugin

I've been working on wavpack support for xmms and I think I'm finally ready to release something for testing.  If you're interested you can grab pre-compiled plugins for Linux here:

http://www.caddr.com/xmms-wavpack-test.tar.gz

Instructions for installation are in the tarball.  This still needs polishing but basic playback and seeking and tag reading seem to be working for me.  I've only tested these on Fedora Core 2 but I think they should work on other distros.  I'll release source packages for these soon.

Thanks to Lefungus for his xmms-musepack plugin which provided the basis for this plugin.

Reply #1
Simply great.
Stupidity is root of all evil.

Reply #2
Awesome. Thank-you very much

Reply #3
Thanks kuniklo...

Reply #4
Fedora Core 3 & XMMS 1.2.10:
Playback and tags work fine, but as soon as I touch the seekbar the player quits. I don't care, I wont seek. I've been waiting quite a while for this. Thank you so much!
--
Eric

Reply #5
Fedora Core 3 & XMMS 1.2.10:
Playback and tags work fine, but as soon as I touch the seekbar the player quits. I don't care, I wont seek. I've been waiting quite a while for this. Thank you so much!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265115"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry about that.  I know what's going on there.  If you re-download the package I think seeking should be fixed.

Reply #6
Seeking works now. Thanks again! God, I love this place!
--
Eric

Reply #7
Seeking works now. Thanks again! God, I love this place!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265135"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great.  Thanks for testing & for the bug report.

I'll try to put together a little more official release of this sometime soon.  I need to co-ordinate this with Bryant a bit as it requires the dev version of the wavpack code.

Reply #8
I was waiting for this. Muchos gracias!

Edit: But I think something is wrong with the CPU usage. When I play a wavpack file with wvunpack piped through aplay the CPU usage is 8%. The same file with xmms uses 36%. CPU is Athlon 800.

Reply #9

Edit: But I think something is wrong with the CPU usage. When I play a wavpack file with wvunpack piped through aplay the CPU usage is 8%. The same file with xmms uses 36%. CPU is Athlon 800.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265156"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm.  That's strange.  It doesn't even register on my machine (dual xeon 3.4gig), but it is extremely fast.

Anyone else noticing usually high load?

Reply #10
Excellent!
Thanks a lot.

Reply #11

Hmm.  That's strange.  It doesn't even register on my machine (dual xeon 3.4gig), but it is extremely fast.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265159"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm at work using an Intel Celeron @ 800Mhz and Ubuntu. The CPU usage goes no higher for Wavpack than it does for Vorbis.
--
Eric

Reply #12

I'm back @ home on my Fedora system and it has the same CPU problem reported by Speek. CPU usage goes up 30%.

---
vendor_id      : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model          : 2
model name      : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz        : 1993.592
cache size      : 512 KB
---

Edited to add cpuinfo
--
Eric

Reply #13

I'm back @ home on my Fedora system and it has the same CPU problem reported by Speek. CPU usage goes up 30%.

---
vendor_id      : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model          : 2
model name      : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz        : 1993.592
cache size      : 512 KB
---

Edited to add cpuinfo
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265446"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Strange.  David suggested a few possible causes of this problem.  I'll see if can track it down.

Reply #14
thanx kuniklo!

new wavpack packages + xmms-wavpack are at rarewares debian rep now

have you decided on a license? i didn't see any info in SVN.

also, most of the text is for xmms-musepack  (i.e. Changelog, etc.)

also, it would be nice to have text information for the wavpack package (real changelog, etc.)  i only knew it was 4.2b3 by looking at  the SVN revision notes

thanx again, and
later

Reply #15
thanx kuniklo!

new wavpack packages + xmms-wavpack are at rarewares debian rep now

have you decided on a license? i didn't see any info in SVN.

also, most of the text is for xmms-musepack  (i.e. Changelog, etc.)

also, it would be nice to have text information for the wavpack package (real changelog, etc.)  i only knew it was 4.2b3 by looking at  the SVN revision notes

thanx again, and
later
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266090"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I need to figure all this stuff out.  This plugin basically is the musepack plugin with the decoding parts replaced by wavpack stuff at the moment.  I'll probably just release it under the same license as the musepack plugin.

Reply #16
I've uploaded a new version of the plugin at the same url as posted in the original announcement.

This fixes title display in the playlist and I'm hoping will fix the performance issues some people have been experiencing.  Could those of you that had issues with the last version please give this one a try?

Reply #17
I've uploaded a new version of the plugin at the same url as posted in the original announcement.

This fixes title display in the playlist and I'm hoping will fix the performance issues some people have been experiencing.  Could those of you that had issues with the last version please give this one a try?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287662"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks! I'm in Key West right now, but I'll check it out as soon as I get home. Thanks for taking the time to work on this!
--
Eric

Reply #18
Thanks Kuniklo! The performance issues are fixed. The new version uses 10x less CPU power! Old version 25-27%, new version 2.0-2.7%. This is with files compressed with high setting. CPU is Pentium III 866.

Reply #19
Thanks Kuniklo! The performance issues are fixed. The new version uses 10x less CPU power! Old version 25-27%, new version 2.0-2.7%. This is with files compressed with high setting. CPU is Pentium III 866.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287939"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great!  Thanks for testing.  I'm hoping to do a real release of this shortly.

Reply #20
Fixed on my end as well. Thanks again.
--
Eric

Reply #21
Is 24bits/48kHz playback supported?

Trying to play WavPack audio files ripped from DVD produces static here.
Could this be something wrong on my side?

Reply #22
xmms doesn't support 24bit output, it has nothing to do with the plugin.

Reply #23
The same file was decoded to PCM (Wav).
The Wav file can be played using XMMS (1.2.10).

The display shows:
23H kbps (=2300 kbps, 2304 kbps being the actual value)
and
48 kHz

So it seems that 24bits/48kHz PCM (Wav) files can be played.