Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Onkyo TX-NR609 only reads ID3 tags from flac files (Read 12717 times) previous topic - next topic

Onkyo TX-NR609 only reads ID3 tags from flac files

I am ripping CDs with EAC and DBpoweramp to FLAC.
On playback via USB input into Onkyo TX-NR609, EAC ripped files show Track name, Time lapsed, Artist and album name but dBpoweramp ripped files show only the first two.

How can I rectify this?

Wiliam
Good Music on 2-Channel
Fight the "loudness" war.
William

Reply #1
It is most likely a bug in the Onkyo, try removing the album art, which is embedded in the flac file, if still no go, try removing some of the other tags until you are left with just title, artist + album, see if that works.

Reply #2
It is most likely a bug in the Onkyo, try removing the album art, which is embedded in the flac file, if still no go, try removing some of the other tags until you are left with just title, artist + album, see if that works.

Thank you Spoon.
1. I removed all (from one of 30 tracks ripped file) except albumartist and album and still I hve no Artist or Album showing. Interesting thing is that even though I have removed track and title, it shows both the track# and name.
What do I do now?
2. I was experimenting with the dBpoweramp settings and now when I rip the ID Tag shows [artist] for Artist and [album] for Album. Naming scheme is [album artist]\[genre]\[album]\[track] - [title]. What do I need to correct?
I need your help.
William
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #3
Perhaps the player does not use ID tags, only the filename.

Try removing all tags from a flac file.

> the dBpoweramp settings and now when I rip the ID Tag shows [artist] for Artist and [album] for Album. Naming scheme is [album artist]\[genre]\[album]\[track] - [title]. What do I need to correct?

The naming section, it does not change ID tags (only ID tags change the naming section), make sure you have overide settings for ID tags in CD Ripper (options >> ID Tags & metadata), if stuck you can reset all settings:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php...from-the-System

Then reinstall

Reply #4
Thanks again Spoon,
Uninstalled dBpoweramp 14.2, used your reset exe, re-booted laptop and Reinstalled 14.2. The default naming is [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title] and set shows (Save in Dynamic Artist Folder).

Ripped two different tracks. on one kept artist, album and title, on the other kept only artist and album on the ripped track files.
On play back both shows only track#, track and lapsed time. No artist or album.
What can i do next?
Please advise.
william
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #5
Default naming has to do with file names only. Playback on most players are using metadata from tags to report atist, album, etc. are you sure you have set the dbpa options to save ths tag metadata?  It sounds as if you have not.

Reply #6
garym,
It would appear that I have not saved it as you say but can you please guide me as to how i go about doing it. I am struggling with the whole thing.
Cheers
William
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #7
Perhaps the player does not use ID tags, only the filename.

Try removing all tags from a flac file.

> the dBpoweramp settings and now when I rip the ID Tag shows [artist] for Artist and [album] for Album. Naming scheme is [album artist]\[genre]\[album]\[track] - [title]. What do I need to correct?

The naming section, it does not change ID tags (only ID tags change the naming section), make sure you have overide settings for ID tags in CD Ripper (options >> ID Tags & metadata), if stuck you can reset all settings:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php...from-the-System

Then reinstall

Spoon,
I have responded to your message in post #3.
Is there anything else that you can advise?
regards
William
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #8
The default install of dbpa would automatically have the tags setting to pick up ALBUM, ARTIST, TRACK, TRACK NO, etc.  So I suspect the ripping is setup just fine.  You can confirm this:  In file explorer, right click on one of the files, then click on EDIT ID TAG. This will open a popup window from dbpa that shows all the existing fields within the tag of this file.  I suspect you see artist, album, track, etc. containing the correct info.  Do this with both a file ripped with EAC and one ripped with dbpa.  Any differences???

Also, what NAMES do the files themselves have?

01 - Willie Nelson - Phases and Stages - Bloody Mary Morning
or
01 - Bloody Mary Morning
etc.

List a couple of examples of actual file names from your files. And list one that works right (from EAC) and one that doesn't work right (from dbpa).

...and you're sure that the player doesn't read only ID3vX files by chance.  Of course this is not correct type of tag for a FLAC file, but it can be added. Maybe you're adding this type of tag in EAC and not in dbpa, and the player is reading the ID3vX tag. Don't know, just a thought.

Reply #9
The default install of dbpa would automatically have the tags setting to pick up ALBUM, ARTIST, TRACK, TRACK NO, etc.  So I suspect the ripping is setup just fine.  You can confirm this:  In file explorer, right click on one of the files, then click on EDIT ID TAG. This will open a popup window from dbpa that shows all the existing fields within the tag of this file.  I suspect you see artist, album, track, etc. containing the correct info.  Do this with both a file ripped with EAC and one ripped with dbpa.  Any differences???

Also, what NAMES do the files themselves have?

01 - Willie Nelson - Phases and Stages - Bloody Mary Morning
or
01 - Bloody Mary Morning
etc.

List a couple of examples of actual file names from your files. And list one that works right (from EAC) and one that doesn't work right (from dbpa).

...and you're sure that the player doesn't read only ID3vX files by chance.  Of course this is not correct type of tag for a FLAC file, but it can be added. Maybe you're adding this type of tag in EAC and not in dbpa, and the player is reading the ID3vX tag. Don't know, just a thought.

Thanks garym,
I will try to carefully answer your reply.
Looking at the file (edit ID Tag), EAC shows Artist, Title, Album, track, Year, Genre, Comment-this is blank, and Disc.
dBp shows all above and lot others. So I tested by removing all others, leaving only what shows in EAC and played it. Still no Artist and Album.
Went into options/Meta data & Id Tags and removed all others leaving album art, album artist, Genre-did not see Album. Ripped a track on dBp and played-still no Artist and Album.
Few things I noted in EAC checked boxes:  use ID3V1, use ID3V2, use ID3V1.1 instead of ID3V1.0, wrtite the comments text of the Cd into ID3 tag comment field.
The dBp Tag options does not mention any ID3 at all-or i have not found it.
Names on the files are: EAC 01 Willie Nelson - Bloody Mary Morning or just 01 Bloody Mary Morning and both show Artist and Album on play back. dBp are same but enen if 01 is not on the file name, on playbask it shows 01 etc.
So I cant progress any further. May be some of the explanations should be shown with screen shots for clarity.
Do you have any more homework for me? I will plod along- I need to resolve this before ripping other 100 or so CDs.
Regards
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #10
It appears that you may be putting ID3Vx tags into your FLAC files (not sure). This is non-standard and typically to be avoided. Standard FLAC tags use something called "vorbis comments".  EAC and dbpa both will write vorbis comments to FLAC files normally.  But somehow you're adding ID3Vx tags with EAC.  It may be that your player only sees ID3Vx tags, which is leading to the problem you are having.  I'm not an EAC user or a user of your player so I can't really speak to this.  But I'd say given the standards for such things, having a player that can only read ID3vX tags within a FLAC file is a bad idea. But maybe there is more to the story. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas (as this is likely player specific). And you probably need some help from an EAC user as well. Good luck.

edit: what about the dbpa ripped FLAC files. When you open these in, say, Foobar2000 or winamp, do you see ALBUM, ARTIST, TRACK, etc.?

Reply #11
If you view the tag info in mp3tag I'm pretty sure it'll tell you what tags you have, ID3 or otherwise.

Reply #12
If you view the tag info in mp3tag I'm pretty sure it'll tell you what tags you have, ID3 or otherwise.

Yes, you are right. In the FLAC file properties>audio properties it shows "contains Album art, CD TOC, CRC, ID Tag [vorbis comments]" and
MP3 file shows "contains Album art, CD TOC, CRC, ID Tag [ID3V2 (UTF16)].
So when my receiver sees the ID3V2 Tag, it shows the Track name, Time lapse, Artist and Album and for the vorbis comments it only reads the first two.
So is there a way to force/configure the dBp to write ID3V2 when ripping to FLAC?
When the receiver is used in the DLNA mode (it is DLNA certified), it shows album art, Track name, Time lapse, Artist and Album from both FLAC and MP3 track files.
Does this means I will have to take the NAS route? I wanted to go that route but streaming AVCHD home videos (I have a Panasonic HD camcorder) were jerky and stopped/started periodically playing through my Panasonic Blu ray player (DLNA certified). Audio was fine through the Onkyo. So I shelved the project.
Any ideas how I could use NAS to satisfactorily stream video, picture, audio and use it as a back-ur for our computer files?
Regards
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #13

I'm not sure if mp3tag will report ID3vX tags within a FLAC file even if they are there. I can't locate it now, but recall some discussion of this on the mp3tag forum. I can't test as I have no FLAC files with ID3v2 tags.

Reply #14
garym, and for all those who have tried to help. I hope this will be of some use to others and may Spoon could comment on item 1 below.
Using dBp I ripped one track to FLAC and another to MP3 on to my external HD. Did the same on to my laptop. Made my laptop available on my Home-network (downloaded TWONKY 7.0 server on to laptop).
Played the FLAC via USB and receiver showed track name and time lapse. Played the MP3 and it showed Art, Track name, time lapse, Artist and album. Of course the EAC FLAC showed all except Art.
Put receiver on DLNA (receiver is DLNA Certified) and played the dBp FLAC & MP3 and EAC FLAC. All three showed Art, Track name, Time lapse, Artist and Album. As you have said the receiver is seeing ID3Vx Tags via USB and not Vorbis comments. The Onkyo manual mentions playing USB flash drives and MP3 players. Usb storage should be FAT16 or FAT32. My 1TB EHD is NTFS. So there could be incompatibility even though audio format supported is MP3,WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, Ogg & LCPM.
My conclusion:
1. If I want to use dBp, find a way that it will write ID3Vx Tag (I appreciate it is not the standard as you have pointed out but at least it will work for me)
2. Go the NAS DLNA route and all will be fine for Audio (Onkyo does not handle video). I wanted to go NAS route to stream Audio and Video and use it as a backup for our computers. But I trialed video streaming using the laptop and found the AVCHD (I have a Panasonic HD Camcorder and Panasonic Blu-ray player which is DLNA Certified) is very shaky and periodically stops and starts. I am disappointed it does not work. I would have to convert all my HD home viideos to a another format for it to be viewable. It would be an expensive way to do it just for Audio. A penny for your thoughts and any suggestions?
I have not opened the files on Foobar or winamp. Will that prove anything?
Regards
William
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #16
We removed the option, Onkyo really need to follow the standard (I bet they test for ID3v2 tags for every format they play, which is not good design).

Reply #17
We removed the option, Onkyo really need to follow the standard (I bet they test for ID3v2 tags for every format they play, which is not good design).

You are right. I fully agree with you.
But is there an earlier version of dBp I could use?
regards
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #18
The time between FLAC originally supporting ID3v2 tags and the time that has passed since, warrants writing support being dropped, if programs / devices are not Vorbis Comment compliant, they should be by now, for them not to be only hinders FLAC (as much as all the other limiting aspects)

I still advocate legacy support, our FLAC routines will read ID3v2 tags, just no longer write them.

>But is there an earlier version of dBp I could use?

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/install/dMC-R13.4-Ref-Trial.exe

If you grab the Flac dlls from that install (in decoder and encoder), then configure to enable ID3v2 writing (dbpoweramp configuration >> codecs >> advanced).

Reply #19
The time between FLAC originally supporting ID3v2 tags and the time that has passed since, warrants writing support being dropped, if programs / devices are not Vorbis Comment compliant, they should be by now, for them not to be only hinders FLAC (as much as all the other limiting aspects)

I still advocate legacy support, our FLAC routines will read ID3v2 tags, just no longer write them.

>But is there an earlier version of dBp I could use?

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/install/dMC-R13.4-Ref-Trial.exe

If you grab the Flac dlls from that install (in decoder and encoder), then configure to enable ID3v2 writing (dbpoweramp configuration >> codecs >> advanced).

I have installed the R13.4 version. I can see the dll files in the programme folder. When I double click it opens in Foobar and says can not play (as you can see I don't have much knowledge of dealing with software etc). How do I go about opening them and carry out what you say. I am able to go from the Start >dBp>configurstion>dBp configuration>illustrate>codec>advanced. But I cannot see what I can do there.
Some more detail please.
Regards
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #20
I remember Spoon was once bashed on this forum for supporting ID3 in FLAC, which was a feature nobody should use. Now when finally the “feature” is removed, there shows up someone who has dumb enough equipment to require it. And Onkyo ...

... look, there was even a firmware update less than two months ago. They are maintaining it, and they only need sufficiently many kicks in their walking + sitting organs.

(You have the most up-to-date firmware?)

Reply #21
You would want to copy those 2 dlls to another folder (keep them separate so you know which is which), then install R14 again and copy those 2 dlls back, overwriting the newer ones R14 installed.

dBp>configurstion>dBp configuration>illustrate>codec>advanced.

Under the FLAC Id Tagging, set from Vorbis Comments to Id3v2.

Reply #22
I remember Spoon was once bashed on this forum for supporting ID3 in FLAC, which was a feature nobody should use. Now when finally the “feature” is removed, there shows up someone who has dumb enough equipment to require it. And Onkyo ...

... look, there was even a firmware update less than two months ago. They are maintaining it, and they only need sufficiently many kicks in their walking + sitting organs.

I'm pretty sure Western Digital only supported ID3 in FLAC as well. I've not tried with any other media players.

Reply #23

Yes.
I asked Onkyo
<<When playing FLAC audio files ripped by EAC via the USB input, the receiver displays Track name, Time lapse, Artist and Album.
When playing FLAC audio files ripped by dBpoweramp and played, it displays only the first 2 information.
I have, by experimenting, established that the first software writes ID3Vx Tag and hence all the four information is read. The second software writes vorbis comments and the receiver displays only the first 2 informations.
Is there a software/hardware upgrade that can be done to the TX-NR609 so that the receiver reads the vorbis comments and displays all the four information?
Please advise<<
Onkyo came back with
<<Thank you very much for your email.
Depening on the software the shown information can vary.
This can not be updated via Fiemware.>>
That was the end of that.
It is disappointing because the manual says it supports MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, Wav, AAC, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and LCPM. So they should maintain the format protocol.
Spoon is correct in maintaining the proper protocol for FLAC in dBpoweramp. And he is very helpful too.
Good Music on 2-Channel
William

Reply #24
You would want to copy those 2 dlls to another folder (keep them separate so you know which is which), then install R14 again and copy those 2 dlls back, overwriting the newer ones R14 installed.

dBp>configurstion>dBp configuration>illustrate>codec>advanced.

Under the FLAC Id Tagging, set from Vorbis Comments to Id3v2.

Replaced R14 dll files with R13 dll files (all 4 files kept safe elsewhere).
In configuration under FLAC ID Tagging there are 7 vorbis comments mapping. Each one, to thr right of it, has a drop down menu with 2 choices. The vorbis comments line do not change. Where am I supposed to put the ID3V2?
Help!
Regards
Good Music on 2-Channel
William