Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question Audio Technica AT92E - mounting problem (Read 8792 times) previous topic - next topic

Question Audio Technica AT92E - mounting problem

Hi! I bought an AT 92E cartridge with universal mount P / 1.2" adaptor. Works fine, eliptical stylus, higher frequencies.. The only doubt is that is a little bit higher than the oldest AT95 (this one had a problem with the needle). In fact the arm seems to be (overall) raised (when I put on the record) and not a little bit bent like the previous case with the old cartridge.. Is this a problem? I re-adjusted to 0 the tracking force  and the set it at 1,25 and also the antiskate to 1,25.

Are there some headshells which delivers P mount? All the tonearms which I have saw had the P connectors integrated..

Reply #1
I searched online for an operating manual for a Kenwood KD-44R and couldn't find one. What we need to determine is whether the arm post can be raised to level out the tonearm. Do you have your manual to check? What you are aiming for is to have the angle at which the stylus contacts the LP to be 20 degrees; yours is probably in the 10-15% range. In reality it probably won't make much difference to the overall sound but everything not adjusted correctly does add up. When you installed the new cartridge did you use an alignment tool to set overhang, azimuth, etc?

All in all it might have been easier to buy a replacement stylus for the AT-95:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATN95...0/dp/B008M9OOJ4

Reply #2
I searched online for an operating manual for a Kenwood KD-44R and couldn't find one. What we need to determine is whether the arm post can be raised to level out the tonearm. Do you have your manual to check? What you are aiming for is to have the angle at which the stylus contacts the LP to be 20 degrees; yours is probably in the 10-15% range. In reality it probably won't make much difference to the overall sound but everything not adjusted correctly does add up. When you installed the new cartridge did you use an alignment tool to set overhang, azimuth, etc?

All in all it might have been easier to buy a replacement stylus for the AT-95:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATN95...0/dp/B008M9OOJ4

Too late for another cartridge.. I have ordered two AT92E. The tracking force 1.25 is lower than the rec tracking force for AT95E which is 2g. I alligned the cartridge when looking at the stylus and at the front side of the main shell to form a straight line.. I readjust the tracking force to 0 and then to 1.25. Also antiskate is 1.25. Another tool that i have is a vinyl disc test with different frequencies, noise, silence and balance...

Another thing is that with this cartridge I have higher freq than AT95, in my case 15-27000 Hz.

I don't have the manual

Reply #4
Are there some headshells which delivers P mount? All the tonearms which I have saw had the P connectors integrated..
I don't know, but a search found this P-Mount Adapter.  (That might be similar to what you already have.)

Reply #5
I don't know, but a search found this P-Mount Adapter.  (That might be similar to what you already have.)

I made some measurements. I put the arm on 0. After moving the counterweight and putting it on the disc I saw an increasement of 2mm near the shell. The adaptor adds 3...to 4mm.. so when using the AT95 1/2" the arm was a little bit down.. The gum mat has 3mm. Do you think that has so much importance thatt +2mm up to the parallel line?

Do you know if there are P-mount headshells?