Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed (Read 256135 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed

Reply #325
I think very few people care about audio encoder speed in the era of fast multicore processors. 
Hi
Currently I'm using...
$ oggenc -v
OggEnc v2.83 (Lancer [Nov 14 2009](SSE) based on aoTuV b5)

With a single-core machine.
Is there anything faster out there - for LINUX?
Bump
Has this thread died, or is it a very very difficult question?

Reply #326
I think dutch109 answered that question anyway with a link to faster builds for single core machines. 
I think very few people care about audio encoder speed in the era of fast multicore processors. 
Hi
Currently I'm using...
$ oggenc -v
OggEnc v2.83 (Lancer [Nov 14 2009](SSE) based on aoTuV b5)

With a single-core machine.
Is there anything faster out there - for LINUX?
Bump
Has this thread died, or is it a very very difficult question?

Did you see dutch109's post above? It has a link to newer, more optimized builds than you are running.

Reply #327
Did you see dutch109's post above? It has a link to newer, more optimized builds than you are running.
I don't see a link to optimized linux builds, it is a thread about patches.

Reply #329
It has a link to newer, more optimized builds than you are running.
Unfortunately, it only uses the name of the Lancer, but it works much slower than the original Lancer. Quality is almost the same, all Vorbis encoders provide almost the same quality. libvorbis doesn't use patches from the latest aoTuV versions, just because improvements are barely perceptible, if they are perceptible at all. I don't think that authors of the libvorbis would ignore aoTuV patches if improvements were indisputable.

Reply #330
What is the difference in speed between the current and original builds?

Reply #331
libvorbis doesn't use patches from the latest aoTuV versions, just because improvements are barely perceptible, if they are perceptible at all. I don't think that authors of the libvorbis would ignore aoTuV patches if improvements were indisputable.
They might also ignore AoTuv changes because they disagree with the result it produces, see the changelog from libvorbis 1.3.2:
 * vorbisenc: Back out an [old] AoTuV HF weighting that was
   first enabled in 1.3.0; there are a few samples where I
   really don't like the effect it causes.
https://github.com/xiph/vorbis/blob/master/CHANGES#L36
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #332
They might also ignore AoTuv changes because they disagree with the result it produces, see the changelog from libvorbis 1.3.2

Noticed bit rate bloat too, Like some samples average 200 ~ 385kbps on AoTuv . Yet libvorbis stays within 100 ~ 190kbps with zero effect to sound quality?.
Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/