Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why can not foobar do what most other BASS players can do by default? (Read 3657 times) previous topic - next topic

Why can not foobar do what most other BASS players can do by default?

Guys, I hope it is just simple solution. I just can not believe it would work like that.
I can not open any file that has not been closed yet. (to which the data is still being saved by another program)

Aimp, Xmplay, 1by1 even winamp have no problem in such a situation.
I have downloaded foo_winamp_input_050309 to enable some winamp input plugins but before I start implement such an exotic solutions I ask You: Am I doing something wrong?
please help

Re: Why can not foobar do what most other BASS players can do by default?

Reply #1
maybe if I asked at a nearby bazaar I would get more attention.
Forum is full of life...

Reply #2
You asked a technical question and then got pissy when nobody answered in 2 hours. Do you even patience, bro?

It was probably an intentional design choice to not allow Foobar to play files that are still being written. Why would you ever want that in the first place? If the program writing the file stalls for some reason, Foobar would eventually hit the end of the written data and playback would either halt or crash the player entirely.

Reply #3
maybe if I asked at a nearby bazaar I would get more attention.
Forum is full of life...
Foobar can.

Reply #4
Wouldn't this be down to the sample-accurate seeking?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #5
And length detection, since many formats only report length for a complete file, and are not really designed to be progressively downloaded and played, especially if the player can't be aware of if/when the file will finish downloading. Glitches can occur. The inputs can fail gracefully, usually, but that's not really the point.

Reply #6
So you want foobar to do the same as Sting, Glen Cornick or Jack Bruce ?

Sorry, I don't understand that question

Reply #7
Or Paul McCartney?

Reply #9
You asked a technical question and then got pissy when nobody answered in 2 hours. Do you even patience, bro?

It was probably an intentional design choice to not allow Foobar to play files that are still being written. Why would you ever want that in the first place?
Back then I just got that idea: i have Foobar, I stream a lot of music over the Internet, it works very fine.By the way is'nt it very similar (playing unclosed local file) to recieving a network stream? The both have the beginning but the end can not be seen. Anyway..
I just wanted to record the sound of the local microphone on the disc and after a few seconds stream it to the network with foobar.
 It would do the thing , problem solved  but it cant be so simply, right?

I am convinced that there is no technical problem with such a construction. The players mentioned by me read such a file better than good. Unfortunately, they are not a foobar.

Reply #10
Various downloading programs have various writing strategies - some write data chunks only incrementally, some randomly, When randomly it may be full randomness or just randomness organized in blocks... Foobar's point of view is "do the job right" - show accurate length, allow accurate seek, etc. - it do what many other programs simply disregard. Thus foobar works differently than others. It don't mind something that is actually written to, because no one will try to hack how to get/calculate "actual, current length of incomplete file", how to realize accurate seeking when file is written randomly and thus building seektable is extremely complicated.

Foobar follows simple principle: do something properly or don't do this at all. I appreciate this, because I live the same way.

Reply #11
I just wanted to record the sound of the local microphone on the disc and after a few seconds stream it to the network with foobar.
 It would do the thing , problem solved  but it cant be so simply, right?
You can stream audio from microphone with foobar2000 using plugin foo_record

Reply #12
Just for the sake of someone not knowing what he meant by BASS, http://www.un4seen.com/bass.html

Reply #13
Yes, I knew that he meant Ian Luck's BASS library. But I had to continue with the joke about musicians, specifically, bass players.