Skip to main content
Topic: foo_random_pools (Read 87318 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_random_pools

Reply #225
You have to set the priority above zero.

Reply #226
I'll attempt to echo what fabiospark and stevehero seemingly already requested, as I also think that would be a logical extension of the component.

The scenario is the following (picture below). Let's say you set up a random pool to populate a specific playlist with some arbitrary set of rules. Suppose you want your playlist to consist of 50% metal songs that came out before 2008 and 50% after and set up the component accordingly. The Playlist attributes component is also used to automatically remove played tracks from this playlist. The result is an auto-updating playlist which has the right distribution and basically requires no further input. Great.

Now suppose you want another playlist with yet another set of arbitrary distribution of songs. Let's say 50% electronic songs which were rated above 4 and 50% below. Important is that you want to keep the auto-updating nature of the playlist, just like the metal songs had. As far as I'm aware, this is currently not possible. You can go back, edit and overwrite your original settings - basically repurposing your metal playlist to create the electronic playlist (picture below) - but you can't define multiple of these special playlists with different parameters at the same time. You can of course still create the individual electronic and metal pools and add them by hand (via File/Random pools), but in that case auto-updating nature can't be utilized, which would be essential to how many of us would like to use this component.

Important distinction, which I think was the source of confusion, is that I don't think people want these special playlists to update in real time simultaneously. As long as I'm listening to the metal playlist, I don't care what happens to the electronic playlist and vice versa. All I would like is to be able to specify which pools to take into consideration depending on which playlist I'm currently playing. This is shown on the picture below. The red arrow signifies that the "Autoadd" setting would become the property of each individual pool as opposed to the global setting which it is now.

So the logic of the component would go from:
1) Check the name of the current playlist
2) If playlist name matches the global "Autoadd" setting, populate the playlist according to every pool

To:
1) Check the name of the current playlist
2) If playlist name matches at least one of the Autoadd settings, populate the playlist according to the pools which have a matching "Autoadd" setting

I don't think this modification would fundamentally break any mechanic that the component relies upon and would be fairly simple to implement, relatively speaking anyway. It would however allow us to spawn countless finely tuned auto-playlists which would be great. The functionality is already there, it's just limited to a single playlist currently. Playlist attributes component for example already lets you specify settings for both global and individual playlists, so that side of the equation is already covered.

Reply #227
I don't think this modification would fundamentally break any mechanic that the component relies upon
Actually, it would just do this. In your example you defined four pools with the same priority. Either of the pools has the same probability to be chosen. You're proposal would in the end lead to different behaviours for adding a pool from all pools manually and adding a pool automatically. I don't think, that this is a good idea.

Sorry, but I won't implement this.

Reply #228
Would like to pull an equal number of random tracks from two different genres.  One genre (Rock) has 13261 tracks in the library and the other genre (Blues) has 1852 tracks in the library.  Problem: tracks being pulled are proportionate to number of tracks in each genre.  Out of 200 tracks requested roughly 20 are from the Blues library and the remainder 180 are from the Rock library.  I would like an equal number of tracks pulled from each genre.  Is this possible??

Reply #229
What are your current pool definitions?

Reply #230
Thank you for your reply.  Parameters are as follows:

Blues Genre pool: 
Name = Blues
Group = %artist% and %title%
Determine probability for picking groups based on group size = not checked
Number of groups to add = 200
Filter = %genre" IS Blues
Filter with content of the target playlist = checked
Priority = 1
Number of tracks to add = 1
Number of minutes to add = 0
Number of MBs to add = 0
Sort = %artist% | %album% | %tracknumber%
Sort / limit each group = checked

All parameters for the Rock genre pool are exactly the same as the Blues genre pool with the exception of the Name and the Filter parameters
Name = Rock
Filter = %genre" IS Rock

All parameters for the Blues & Rock genre pool are exactly the same as the Rock or Blues pools with the exception of the Name, the Filter and the Group:
Name = Blues & Rock
Group = %DIRECTORYNAME%  -- (but I have also tried using %artist% and %title% as the group with same results)
Filter = %genre% IS Blues OR %genre% IS Rock

TIA for you help

Reply #231
In general it is better to use the following properties to get 200 random tracks from a pool:

Group: %library% (or any other non-existing tag)
Number of groups to add: 1
Number of tracks to add: 200

This is especially for large libraries much faster.

However, this will not solve your problem to get a balanced number of tracks from one pool for two different genres. Actually, this is not possible. You need to add separately 100 tracks from the Rock genre pool and 100 tracks from the Blues genre pool to get the result you want.

Reply #232
Thank you for your assistance.  I did figure out that by selecting the two different genre pools independently I could add the same number of tracks from each genre to the playlist.  I suspect it is possible to do what I am asking but not without additional coding.  You have already provided foobar users with a great tool, I can understand why an enhancement like this may not be something you want to spend time on.  Thanks again for your help. 

p.s. If I can get a look at the source code I may be able to help with the enhancement should you decide it is worthwhile to include.  

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018