Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Having problems updating Sansa Clip firmware. (Read 7182 times) previous topic - next topic

Having problems updating Sansa Clip firmware.

Hi,

I purchased a Sansa Clip 4GB last year and it's been locking up on me. I went on Sandisk's website and found updated firmware at the following page : http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/San...ase/td-p/144965

I've been trying like heck to update my firmware, but this thing just won't let me.

I went down to the v02.01.35 instructions and followed them to the letter. Dragged the bin file to the root of the Sansa, but despite showing me a progress bar like it's actually copying, the end result is a file dated 2005 on the clip. Despite it being dated 2010 on my desktop before the copy. In other words, it copies over, but it doesn't take. The .bin on the Sansa is shielded somehow.

Unplugging the Sansa after what appears to be a copying "simulation" confirms my suspicions. While this SHOULD result in the thing restarting automatically, it doesn't. It just stays on like nothing happened (although it does go through the "refreshing media" routine).

Quick check to the version #... hasn't changed. Still v01.02.15A.

Manually shutting the thing off and back on changes nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply #1
Did you copy the right firmware file for your player?  What is the name of the bin you copied?

Reply #4
You downloaded the wrong firmware.  You have a Clipv1.  Check that link you posted again, and this time make sure to click the right download.

But how does that make any sense? That would mean the firmware I already have (v01.02.15A), which came with the device when I bought it back in September, is more recent than the v01.01.35 available on the website, which has been updated last November.

How did I end up with more recent firmware than the most recent the company is offering?

Reply #5
You downloaded the wrong firmware.  You have a Clipv1.  Check that link you posted again, and this time make sure to click the right download.

But how does that make any sense? That would mean the firmware I already have (v01.02.15A), which came with the device when I bought it back in September, is more recent than the v01.01.35 available on the website, which has been updated last November.

Looking at the list of Sandisk firmwares, v01.02.15A is a clip+ firmware, so most likely you actually have a Clip+, not a Clip.

Reply #6
Looking at the list of Sandisk firmwares, v01.02.15A is a clip+ firmware, so most likely you actually have a Clip+, not a Clip.

Oh, I hadn't noticed the little +, you're right. It's a Clip+.

Where do I find the firmware for this, if they're different? Sandisk.com has no specific listing for "Clip+", just "Clip".

Reply #7
You find firmware for this just like you find out what player you actually have.  Taking time to figure it out yourself and not expecting everything done by others who volunteer their time. Sansa provides breadcrumb navigation aids on their site. One level above the link you provided to sansa clearly shows two different threads used for firmware updates for two different players.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/bd-p/clipplusclip

Reply #8
There's an application called sansa updater that sits on your PC and automatically grabs the latest firmware and offers to put it onto your Clip+ when you next connect it.

FWIW my Clip+ isn't 100% stable on the latest firmware. I can now make it reboot by asking it to resume a specific podcast - and it's played that podcast properly before now! Beginning to wonder if I've corrupted it somehow.

Cheers,
David.