Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resurrecting/Preserving the Helix MP3 encoder (Read 41795 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Resurrecting/Preserving the Helix MP3 encoder

Reply #400
Oh, that's perfectly fine. Thank you for asking.
Let me know if you need higher resolution images.

Some more details if required:
Pink noise, stereo, 16 bits, 44.1 kHz, -10 dB, uniform distribution
Used spectrum analyzer is Spek.

Reply #401
EDIT:  OK I found a compile of Helix MP3 encoder on my external hard drive , the zip file is called helix_mp3enc_r11_x64.zip and the exe is called hmp3enc.exe.
I tried this version (I know it's one of the original Helix versions) but I was curious to see hwo this 64 bit version worked.

I did the test from my SSD and got 1300x to 1800x.

So what is different between Case's build, this old version and all newer compiles?

I believe I got that version of Helix from Rarewares or ReallyRareWares.

OK I tried copying my FLACS to the internal SSD and tried converting with foobar2000 from there.

I still average about 220x to 300x using your slow compile 64 bit version of Helix. 

Same speeds I got when converting from external hard drive...so I don't think USB is the issue.

I think i have the same problem, my cpu is zen2 4650g(6c12t), i got around 280~300x under command line @ single thread with autodidact's clang build or rarewares' gcc build, I also compiled helix myself with clang plus linktime optimization, my version got around 480x. maybe that's the key.
here's the binary, you can try it.

Reply #402
EDIT:  OK I found a compile of Helix MP3 encoder on my external hard drive , the zip file is called helix_mp3enc_r11_x64.zip and the exe is called hmp3enc.exe.
I tried this version (I know it's one of the original Helix versions) but I was curious to see hwo this 64 bit version worked.

I did the test from my SSD and got 1300x to 1800x.

So what is different between Case's build, this old version and all newer compiles?

I believe I got that version of Helix from Rarewares or ReallyRareWares.

OK I tried copying my FLACS to the internal SSD and tried converting with foobar2000 from there.

I still average about 220x to 300x using your slow compile 64 bit version of Helix. 

Same speeds I got when converting from external hard drive...so I don't think USB is the issue.

I think i have the same problem, my cpu is zen2 4650g(6c12t), i got around 280~300x under command line @ single thread with autodidact's clang build or rarewares' gcc build, I also compiled helix myself with clang plus linktime optimization, my version got around 480x. maybe that's the key.
here's the binary, you can try it.

Thanks for contributing your compile.  I tried it, but for some reason it isn't creating mp3s on my end.  I kept the settings the same as I used previously for successful encodes, but literally just replaced the hmp3.exe file.

Also when using it with foobar, the system did hang again, and I saw the conversion dialog, but the "pause" and "abort" buttons never showed up and the file progress never continued.  What I mean is the progress bar was moving, but it was still showing that it was converting the first file still.  Weird.

Thanks for trying!

Reply #403
That's really weird, i've tried both cmd and foobar2000, everything is ok, foobar2000 2.1.4 x64 with minimal convert parameter:" - %d"

Reply #404
Also not working here "An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code -1073741515 (0xC0000135); please re-check parameters"
Btw. did you just set the flag -flto? I could do one with gcc.

Edit:  Did one with gcc flto. Roughly the same speed here as without.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #405
Also not working here "An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code -1073741515 (0xC0000135); please re-check parameters"

I've managed to reproduce the problem under my vm env, my fault for not including the -static in LDFLAGS, here's the re-complied version.

Reply #406
This version compiled with clang is the fastest in the test, followed by gcc avx2. This is just the result of my test.

Reply #407
If anyone is interested

Linux amd64/x86_64 Glibc 2.39
Clang 18, O3 LTO PGO

Code: [Select]
CC=clang # was gcc

#CFLAGS_COMMON=-O3 -fprofile-generate=/tmp/ -c -I$(SRC_PREFIX)/pub -DIEEE_FLOAT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 # 1st run
CFLAGS_COMMON=-O3 -flto -fprofile-use=/tmp/profile.profdata -c -I$(SRC_PREFIX)/pub -DIEEE_FLOAT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 # 2nd run

#LFLAGS=-lm -lstdc++ -O3 -fprofile-generate=/tmp/ # 1st run
LFLAGS=-lm -lstdc++ -O3 -flto -fprofile-use=/tmp/profile.profdata # 2nd run

Reply #408

I've managed to reproduce the problem under my vm env, my fault for not including the -static in LDFLAGS, here's the re-complied version.

FINALLY!  A version of Helix MP3 that converts fast besides Case's version!

This version DOES NOT hang up my system in a weird way and cause foobar to be basically nonresponsive!

ALSO - FASTEST encoding speed yet converting from internal SSD to internal SSD at 2500x encoding speed!

This version works, yay!

Reply #411
Fascinating stuff is that the "g" variants behave so different and a profiled 2pass compile fixes it.
The speed gain is nice also :)
Thanks to @punkrockdude for the insight!

Reply #413
Amazing to convert a 38min album in 8 seconds. I think Deadbeef is single threaded but I am not sure.

Reply #414
Yeah single threaded a normal album well encodes below 10 seconds.
@JoshuaChang binary is ~4600x speed here on the 5900x :)
The problem is what exactly causes the faulty behaviour with the "g" variants and how to fix it.

Reply #415
The problem is what exactly causes the faulty behaviour with the "g" variants and how to fix it.
Like Ryzen 5600G (what I am using) etc or the builds using Og? I now tried a 1h audio (44.1kHz/16bit/2ch) encoded with no parameters and it took 06s. It was using only one logical core.

Reply #416
The Windows x64 compiles using makefile don't work properly on at least the 2 "g" variants reported here.

Reply #417
I wonder if I can get up to 7200x if I can encode using all my logical cores at the same time, somehow. Let the speed competition begin! :) I might try adding OpenMP or OpenACC...

Reply #418
For me (AMD Ryzen 7 5700g variant) ALL compiles of 32 bit and 64 bit cause this weird system hang and slowdown and slow encoding speed...except for the 64 bit version I quoted above in an earlier post, and Chase's 32 bit compile.