Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Loudness Range (LRA) measuring in Foobar (Read 6392 times) previous topic - next topic

Loudness Range (LRA) measuring in Foobar

Hi,
anyone knows a way to measure LRA in Foobar and display it in Staus Bar and Column and write to tag?

Re: Loudness Range (LRA) measuring in Foobar

Reply #1
Hi,
anyone knows a way to measure LRA in Foobar and display it in Staus Bar and Column and write to tag?
Can't do. You can retrieve PLR or LUFS from replaygain values (check Playlis Tools on my sig, and take a look at the presets folder which has scripts for CUI and default UI). But you can not calculate LRA without a dedicated plugin, which doesn't exist.

Use MusicBee for that, it has a plugin which does exactly that (and allows to save the result to a tag, which can be used anywhere).
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28208.msg160487#msg160487

Reply #2
How does LRA differ from DR-A/DR-T via the Dynamic Range Meter (foo_dynamic_range), which can be displayed in the columns of the song (per attached image)?

Reply #3
LRA is a global and professional audio and video industry standard for measuring loudness range based on LUFS. The so called DR meter is only used in one plugin and by a few audiophiles. The sooner it dies the better, IMO.

Reply #4
How does LRA differ from DR-A/DR-T via the Dynamic Range Meter
Mainly in its longer integration time of 3 seconds. It reveals the contrast between sections that a listener perceives as loud or quiet. Think of classical music, which spends a prolonged time being quiet and can have a high LRA. Billie Jean reaches full loudness in shorter intervals before the meter can "notice". The measurement affected little by moderate level saturation, which still reduces quality.

Reply #5
Hi,
Can't do. You can retrieve PLR or LUFS from replaygain values (check Playlis Tools on my sig, and take a look at the presets folder which has scripts for CUI and default UI). But you can not calculate LRA without a dedicated plugin, which doesn't exist.

Use MusicBee for that, it has a plugin which does exactly that (and allows to save the result to a tag, which can be used anywhere).
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28208.msg160487#msg160487

Thank you, I think that:
$puts(PLR,$if(%replaygain_track_peak_db%, $puts(PLR,$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,.,),10),$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,),-10),18000))) $puts(PLR_TEN,$left($right($get(PLR),3),2)) $puts(PLR_ROUND,$ifgreater($get(PLR_TEN),40,$add($get(PLR),100),$get(PLR)))$iflonger($get(PLR_ROUND),4,<$left($get(PLR_ROUND),2)<.$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),3,3),$left($get(PLR_ROUND),1)<.$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),2,2)),))$get(PLR)
is what I was looking for.
I will try it.

Reply #6
Yep, that one. On default UI you use that to display the value. On CUI there are 2 scripts, one for the value and another one to add color codes to the displayed value.

CUI
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would say having PLR in one column plus DR (from the plugin) in another would give a pretty good aprox. to the loudness of a track. One alone is not enough but both are ok. If you want LRA you have to find another tagger (like musicBee)

Reply #7
Yep, that one. On default UI you use that to display the value. On CUI there are 2 scripts, one for the value and another one to add color codes to the displayed value.

CUI

I would say having PLR in one column plus DR (from the plugin) in another would give a pretty good aprox. to the loudness of a track. One alone is not enough but both are ok. If you want LRA you have to find another tagger (like musicBee)

Thanks, it works great. I use default columns (no plugin). I also made the second one to reflect Album PLR.
On your printscreens there is however a Column named LRA.
I used the string that I pasted above. All my texts if Foobar are white on black (more or less) background. But your string produces nonconsistent colour of text (PLR) - it is let's say "white" on the left side and it is getting greyed to the right.
1. How to make it "normal" (with one, constant colour)?
2. Do I underdstand correctly that the values presented by your string are in dB (or maybe LU)?
3. How to present the values with 2 digits after a coma (ex. 10,85)?
4. From what I see - the PLR is more or less LUFS - TruePeak?
5. Is there a way to display such info for PSR values?

Reply #8

CUI

Thanks, it works great. I use default columns (no plugin). I also made the second one to reflect Album PLR.
I used the string that I pasted above. All my texts if Foobar are white on black (more or less) background. But your string produces nonconsistent colour of text (PLR) - it is let's say "white" on the left side and it is getting greyed to the right.
1. How to make it "normal" (with one, constant colour)?
2. Do I underdstand correctly that the values presented by your string are in dB?
3. From what I see - the PLR is more or less LUFS - TruePeak?
4. Is there a way to display such info for PSR values?
Sorry for posting the same the second time. Is there a way to delete a post?

Reply #9
Nothing stops you -as I said- to use musicBee to tag your files with an LRA tag and then display it on foobar ;)

1. That's what < and > chars do. You can remove them
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Titleformat_Reference#Dimmed_and_highlighted_text
2. LU
3. I think this is all, experiment yourself:
Code: [Select]
$get(PLR_ROUND),3,3 -> $get(PLR_ROUND),3,4
$get(PLR_ROUND),2,2 -> $get(PLR_ROUND),2,3
4. Yep. LUFS has the problem to not consider true peaks. Music is not peak normalized to zero, so LUFS is useless in real files (which may have different levels). PLR fixes that calculating LUFS for a given peak level. If files were peak normalized, then both would be equivalent.
5. PSR can only be calculated with musicBee, the same than LRA.

EDIT:
It would be great if someone ports the plugin to foobar; since it uses the ffmpeg executable under the hood, "only" a contextual menu entry and the tag coding/preferences is required. Meanwhile use musicbee. Could be done on an Spider Monkey Panel script though..

Reply #10
Nothing stops you -as I said- to use musicBee to tag your files with an LRA tag and then display it on foobar ;)

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Titleformat_Reference#Dimmed_and_highlighted_text
2. LU
4. Yep. LUFS has the problem to not consider true peaks. Music is not peak normalized to zero, so LUFS is useless in real files (which may have different levels). PLR fixes that calculating LUFS for a given peak level. If files were peak normalized, then both would be equivalent.

EDIT:
It would be great if someone ports the plugin to foobar; since it uses the ffmpeg executable under the hood, "only" a contextual menu entry and the tag coding/preferences is required. Meanwhile use musicbee. Could be done on an Spider Monkey Panel script though..

Thank you very much. Sorry to bother you (I am not a programmer so probably easy tasks seem hard to me) but I have two more questions:

1. I changed your stream to:
$puts(PLR,$if(%replaygain_track_peak_db%, $puts(PLR,$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,.,),10),$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,),-10),18000))) $puts(PLR_TEN,$left($right($get(PLR),3),2)) $puts(PLR_ROUND,$ifgreater($get(PLR_TEN),40,$add($get(PLR),100),$get(PLR)))$iflonger($get(PLR_ROUND),4,$left($get(PLR_ROUND),2).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),3,4),$left($get(PLR_ROUND),1).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),2,3)),))$get(PLR)LU
The colours and digits are ok but how to delete the "space" in front of the actual value of PLR. It displays as "(blank space)12,28LU" instead of "12,28LU" (without blank space in front).

2. Not directly associated with your stream but you use this in it. Is there a way to display True Peaks (in dB) without space between value and dB or even better without "dB" at all.  It now shows "-0,50 dB" and I would like it to be "-0,50" or "-0,50dB". If I delete "_dB" from the %replaygain_track_peak_db% stream, the value changes to something not being dB. What I need is the same value (in dBs) but without "dB" sign at all and I will put it manually behind the value (but without blank space).

Reply #11

2. LU

EDIT:

Thank you very much. Sorry to bother you (I am not a programmer so probably easy tasks seem hard to me) but I have two more questions:

$puts(PLR,$if(%replaygain_track_peak_db%, $puts(PLR,$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,.,),10),$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,),-10),18000))) $puts(PLR_TEN,$left($right($get(PLR),3),2)) $puts(PLR_ROUND,$ifgreater($get(PLR_TEN),40,$add($get(PLR),100),$get(PLR)))$iflonger($get(PLR_ROUND),4,$left($get(PLR_ROUND),2).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),3,4),$left($get(PLR_ROUND),1).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),2,3)),))$get(PLR)LU
The colours and digits are ok but how to delete the "space" in front of the actual value of PLR. It displays as "(blank space)12,28LU" instead of "12,28LU" (without blank space in front).

2. Not directly associated with your stream but you use this in it. Is there a way to display True Peaks (in dB) without space between value and dB or even better without "dB" at all.  It now shows "-0,50 dB" and I would like it to be "-0,50" or "-0,50dB". If I delete "_dB" from the %replaygain_track_peak_db% stream, the value changes to something not being dB. What I need is the same value (in dBs) but without "dB" sign at all and I will put it manually behind the value (but without blank space).

1. That seems to be your fault since you have been adding multiple blank spaces to the string while editing it or copying/pasting ;) There is a reason to not split lines on DUI...
$puts(PLR,$if(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,$puts(PLR,$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,.,),10),$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,),-10),18000)))$puts(PLR_TEN,$left($right($get(PLR),3),2))$puts(PLR_ROUND,$ifgreater($get(PLR_TEN),40,$add($get(PLR),100),$get(PLR)))$iflonger($get(PLR_ROUND),4,$left($get(PLR_ROUND),2).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),3,4),$left($get(PLR_ROUND),1).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),2,3)),))$get(PLR)LU

2. $replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%, dB,)

Take a look at all functions here:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Titleformat_Reference

Reply #12

2. LU

EDIT:

1. That seems to be your fault since you have been adding multiple blank spaces to the string while editing it or copying/pasting ;) There is a reason to not split lines on DUI...
$puts(PLR,$if(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,$puts(PLR,$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%,.,),10),$sub($mul($replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,),-10),18000)))$puts(PLR_TEN,$left($right($get(PLR),3),2))$puts(PLR_ROUND,$ifgreater($get(PLR_TEN),40,$add($get(PLR),100),$get(PLR)))$iflonger($get(PLR_ROUND),4,$left($get(PLR_ROUND),2).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),3,4),$left($get(PLR_ROUND),1).$substr($get(PLR_ROUND),2,3)),))$get(PLR)LU

2. $replace(%replaygain_track_peak_db%, dB,)

Take a look at all functions here:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Titleformat_Reference

Thank you very much for your help!

Reply #13
For me, DR works well enough, but, a more accurate measurement is always welcome. I will give this a try the scripts in new columns. Thank you.

Reply #14
Fyi I have integrated the EBUR 128 Scanner from ffmpeg into foobar in the tags automation tool (see Playlist Tools at my sig).
i.e. LRA can be calculated and added directly to a tag within foobar, not requiring anymore musicBee or its plugin.
ffmpeg executable is a requisite, obviously.

The cmd line required in the process to output to JSON is this one, in case anyone cares (*):
"%FFMPEGPATH%" -i "%TRACK%" -af loudnorm=dual_mono=true:print_format=json -nostats -f null -  2>&1 | > "%JSONOUTPUT%" FINDSTR /BIR "{ .*\" }"

Works fine on my side, although it requires aprox. 8 secs per track in my PC. Will be available on the next release.

(*) It took me some time to figure how to redirect the output of FINDSTR to a file, since the redirection does not work at the end of the pipe. Hate cmd...

Reply #15
Fyi I have integrated the EBUR 128 Scanner from ffmpeg into foobar in the tags automation tool (see Playlist Tools at my sig).
i.e. LRA can be calculated and added directly to a tag within foobar, not requiring anymore musicBee or its plugin.
ffmpeg executable is a requisite, obviously.

The cmd line required in the process to output to JSON is this one, in case anyone cares (*):
"%FFMPEGPATH%" -i "%TRACK%" -af loudnorm=dual_mono=true:print_format=json -nostats -f null -  2>&1 | > "%JSONOUTPUT%" FINDSTR /BIR "{ .*\" }"

Works fine on my side, although it requires aprox. 8 secs per track in my PC. Will be available on the next release.

(*) It took me some time to figure how to redirect the output of FINDSTR to a file, since the redirection does not work at the end of the pipe. Hate cmd...

Hi, I just stumbled on this post. It's a rather old post and I tried to find a more recent post, but every search I ever do over here returns comes up empty.

I used your code to implement PLR Album and PLR track  with optional colorschemes. I do have some tiny and one bigger questions.

1) What are the DR values you use to apply the colorscheme for DR.
2) Is the PLR precision of 1 decimal (which is not rounded but cut off) relevant in your opinion.
3) Am I correct to assume that LRA would supersede the necessity of displaying PLR and DR.

4) The idea of being able to calculate LRA yourself looks really good. Searched your reference to your Playlist tools but I was not able to find how to use it. I do have ffprobe and ffmpeg installed. I'd like the idea of either an extra option on a rightclick to scan the track or tracks selected (like replaygain or dynamic range meter) which would publish results in the tags or something that would work from the track(s) properties screen (via Tools?). Is something like that possible?

Reply #16
4) The idea of being able to calculate LRA yourself looks really good. Searched your reference to your Playlist tools but I was not able to find how to use it. I do have ffprobe and ffmpeg installed. I'd like the idea of either an extra option on a rightclick to scan the track or tracks selected (like replaygain or dynamic range meter) which would publish results in the tags or something that would work from the track(s) properties screen (via Tools?). Is something like that possible?
Remy over at un4seen was kind enough to give access to a tool based on the new bassloud.dll loudness measurement library that when run will display the LRA (as well as Peak and True Peak) value, presumably you could open a file into it from Foobar using a Run Services command.  Image below.  If this is something you think you might want let me know and I can post it at the Uploads forum or attach (image below).  BTW the "play file after opening" option unfortunately doesn't mean via the open player but via the system waveout or something (LOUD) so I don't advise checking that.

Reply #17
Remy over at un4seen was kind enough to give access to a tool based on the new bassloud.dll loudness measurement library that when run will display the LRA (as well as Peak and True Peak) value, presumably you could open a file into it from Foobar using a Run Services command.  Image below.  If this is something you think you might want let me know and I can post it at the Uploads forum or attach (image below).  BTW the "play file after opening" option unfortunately doesn't mean via the open player but via the system waveout or something (LOUD) so I don't advise checking that.

Thanks for your reply.

What I actually need is a tool that I can initiate from within fooBar (or via Run Services) that writes LRA tags in the tracks automatically. Like replaygain and DR do.

Reply #18
Anyone can check my TF formatting for CUI or DUI here:
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP/tree/main/presets/UI

2) Is the PLR precision of 1 decimal (which is not rounded but cut off) relevant in your opinion.
Zero relevancy.

3) Am I correct to assume that LRA would supersede the necessity of displaying PLR and DR.
It depends in your usage. I assume  it would be useful if you are mastering or recording; for an standard use it may be unnecessary.  Having "green" values in all of them clearly indicates it's a non compressed track, a single indicator is not always true.

That's what my tool does. There are instructions at the wiki in github. You are not being specific about your doubts. It's a SMP panel, and thus you need SMP installed. All that is written at the wiki.

Reply #19
Anyone can check my TF formatting for CUI or DUI here:
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP/tree/main/presets/UI

Thx. That was what I was looking for,

4) calculate LRA yourself
That's what my tool does. There are instructions at the wiki in github. You are not being specific about your doubts. It's a SMP panel, and thus you need SMP installed. All that is written at the wiki.

You point me to a wiki. Is this the main page where you can also download the Playlist-Tools-SMP-main.zip?

I created an extra panel SMP 1.61+, tried to install the zip as a package which did not work.
Extracted the zip to fb2k and read the info from various files/pdf, which gives so much information that I'm completely lost. I tried to load some random scripts with no luck.

I'm probably completely stupid, but I have no clue where the main script is I have to load. It's certainly not the button one in the root folder or main\main_menu\main_menu_custom.js,

Can you please point me in the right direction?

Reply #20
You have to read the installation section of any script page (which is always at the bottom)
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP

Reply #21
You have to read the installation section of any script page (which is always at the bottom)

Well, that's what I did.  I can load the only script in the root.
Left click let's me only load preset 1 which is empty. Right mouse click give me a nice dropdown menu which a lot of empty options. But at least it doesn't give me the dreaded red screen of death.

I really hate to feel stupid.

Reply #22

Well, that's what I did.  I can load the only script in the root.
Left click let's me only load preset 1 which is empty. Right mouse click give me a nice dropdown menu which a lot of empty options. But at least it doesn't give me the dreaded red screen of death.

I really hate to feel stupid.
You are clearly not installing it right then. Check the steps again and the paths. There is nothing special to do, it's the same than JSP.

You just have to copy my scripts at an specific folder. It's the only difference.

Reply #23
(I use another of his SMP scripts.) I'm looking at your previous screenshot: maybe you need to extract the files into a folder called xxx-scripts . So maybe rename your Playlist-Tools-SMP-main folder to xxx-scripts .
For me it looks like this:
X
Then load the buttons_toolbar.js file (which is at the root), as shown here, look at the screenshot above in the wiki.

Reply #24
(I use another of his SMP scripts.) I'm looking at your previous screenshot: maybe you need to extract the files into a folder called xxx-scripts . So maybe rename your Playlist-Tools-SMP-main folder to xxx-scripts .
For me it looks like this:
[attach type=thumb]29435[/attach]
Then load the buttons_toolbar.js file (which is at the root), as shown here, look at the screenshot above in the wiki.

Christ!

I thought xxx-scripts was just a kind of placeholder instead of the actual name. I just rightclicked and extracted to Playlist-Tools-SMP-main which seemed rather fitting.

Anyway, thx. All good now.