Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby Digital Plus (Read 4885 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby seems to want to cash in with ac3 a last time before it dies a fast death (like frauenhofer with mp3), they are working on an enhanced ac3 audio codec, called dolby digital plus

it should allow 5.1 streams at pretty low bitrates (which plain ac3 isnt really able to do) and should be backwards compatible to existing ac3 capable players...

read more about here:
http://www.dolby.com/press/pa_pr_0404_Dolb...lus_preNAB.html

for me this pretty much sounds like they use SBR or something similar, anyone knowing more about this format?
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Dolby Digital Plus

Reply #1
I just know that there was a hot debate in DVD forum between HE-AAC and this format.

Only thing I know is that it is backwards compatible, and that is one of its biggest advantages as being advertized by Dolby.

It might be using similar approach as "Dolby AAC" - but I don't know until some AES paper or technical data pops out...

Dolby Digital Plus

Reply #2
I just know that there was a hot debate in DVD forum between HE-AAC and this format.

you mean for dvd-audio (rom zone)? i saw that he-aac hasnt been approved as mandatory codec for this
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Dolby Digital Plus

Reply #4
There was a big debate between these solutions IIRC