Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIF & FLAC? (Read 8062 times) previous topic - next topic

AIF & FLAC?

Hello,I was wondering what is the best(audio quality)format to download your music files in:AIF or FLAC.
I buy some of my music on HDTracks.com the last I purchased was AIF 24-96.
Is that the best,I would like how to choose. : O:)

Re: AIF & FLAC?

Reply #1
FLAC is lossless. AIFF usually is too, so they're identical. FLAC is a much better format for playback though.

Reply #2

Reply #3
...and it's compressed lossless, so that's an enough reason right there. Why would anyone want to use uncompressed lossless for playback is beyond me.

Reply #4
Don't bother with AIF. There's no sane reason to keep your music as AIF or WAV or any other uncompressed PCM format instead of FLAC.
FLAC is basically ZIP for audio that you can also play directly without extracting first. What you put in is bit for bit identical what for get back when decoded.

Also, if you need to ask about this, then rest assured that any possible farfetched reason why you would somehow need AIF really don't apply to you. If you needed AIF, you would most certainly know why. If you need to ask, you certainly don't need it. If you needed AIF, you'd also know how to make AIF files from the FLACs anyway.

Just get the FLACs :)

Reply #6
Hey, as I understand the information, I should convert my AIFF to FLAC :)

Reply #7
Yes you should.  Your original posting refers to 24/96 files, and then you just convert them to FLAC. 

It doesn't hurt to check that they are 16-bit or 24-bit though, but I have never seen anyone distribute music to consumer in floating-point AIFF.

Reply #8
OK,many thanks all of you,I will convert my AIFF with DBpoweramp :D