Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A new guide to using CDex (Read 6662 times) previous topic - next topic

A new guide to using CDex

I finally got my act together and wrote up this little guide on how to rip CDs to MP3 using CDex and john33's 3.90.2 compile.

CDex guide

Please keep in mind this is aimed at the ripping newbie who would otherwise be at home with Musicmatch.

Have a go through it and post your observations/suggestions/flames etc. here. I'll incorporate what I deem prudent.

Cheers,
CD

edit: updated URL.

Reply #1
Hi Compact...
I think its a great idea... I'm doing the same in spanish for newbies (there is very little information in spanish for MP3s newbies)...
I think that your guide its correct and clear.

Would you mind if I made an spanish translation and publish it in my site?
(creditting you, of course), I'll send you a copy too...

My site is still under development...

http://www.anfetamina.com

Best regards.
b:.

Reply #2
Hi bodhy,

you are most welcome to do so. Please check for updates every now and then - there is still a bit left to cover.

Cheers,
CD

Reply #3
Why there is a need of copying Nero's ASPI manager to the CDex folder? In win2k/xp it can work also with the native NT SCSI library.

Also it's better to write the exact name of the Nero's ASPI manager in order to be an easy guide for newbies.

edit: typos

Reply #4
hi Pri3st,

Nero's ASPI manager provides higher quality rips than NT/2k/XP's native SCSI library does. I tested with a few scratched CDs [and one victim of CD rot with a few holes in the silver layer] and found that Nero [and Adaptec] ASPI managers ripped without audible glitches [though errors were detected], while the native library totally messed it up, pops and glitches all over the place.

In summary, native calls won't report all errors, and when they do they are not corrected well.

AFAIK, Nero's ASPI manager is called exactly that.

<edit>: clarified points.

Reply #6
Hi Pri3st,

thanks for that, I wasn't clear on what you meant.

Your URL links to a self-extracting Zipfile which contains both the 9x and NT versions. However, they are dated 2000-03-30 and 2000-04-05. Mine links to the latest NT wnaspi32.dll.

However, thanks for the suggestion. I shall include the filename in the link.

Reply #7
Nice guide ! Very clear !!

Is it possible to add -Z key in the list;  --alt-preset standard -Z ...
Or do we have to wait for the next CDex version  B) ?

I ask this because this setting is recommended by HA now !

Reply #8
Hi Marcb,

thanks for your comments. It isn't possible to add -Z at present as the 3.90.2 DLL doesn't have an option to enable it.

However, I heard rumours of a LAME 3.90.3 with --alt-preset standard remapped to --alt-preset standard -Z, and so on. When it comes out, it will be the recommended build.

The other method is to install and configure the LAME EXE, but I don't want to go down that route.

Reply #9
Hi,

The -Z is added in your guide ! 

Questions:

Shouldn't there be a red circle on the option "Digital CD Playback" ?
On the generic settings: http://home.iprimus.com.au/alexanderino/cdex/#generic
This is not a default setting

The link to the 3.90.2-Z compile is broken:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/lameD...LL-3.90.2-Z.zip

Good guide ! 

edit: -z -> -Z, LAME switches are case-sensitive

Reply #11
Ah, the file was renamed while I was asleep! 

Luckily I sensed it, woke up and updated my guide

I'll be away from the computer for the next thirteen hours, working in the Real World™, so hope things will be stable till then.

Cheers,
CD

<edit>: Marcb, I haven't circled Digital CD Playback as it's not essential for obtaining pucca rips.

Reply #12
Even though I don't like CDex, I'm really impressed by your guide, Compact Dick. It's really well structured, the layout is great (great use of CSS), and it's easy to understand for newbies - pretty much the opposite of the * guide you link to.

MOD:* No links to or names of ripping groups please.

Reply #13
Hi Volcano,

thanks for your comments  As for the * guide, I wouldn't say it isn't well-structured, but this is why I plan on keeping two versions - one of the quick-start variety for beginners, the other a deeper, comprehensive one such as the * Guide.

I have updated the page and the CSS a bit, so have a look when you want to.

If you're interested, I used Top Style Pro to design the stylesheet. The XHTML was written in a text editor, NoteTab.

MOD:* No links to or names of ripping groups please.

Reply #14
Nero's ASPI manager provides higher quality rips than NT/2k/XP's native SCSI library does.

What do you think about Adaptec's ASPI drivers? are they any better than Nero's or not?

Reply #15
Nero's ASPI manager provides higher quality rips than NT/2k/XP's native SCSI library does.

What do you think about Adaptec's ASPI drivers? are they any better than Nero's or not? 

yup...

in general.. adaptec aspi sux...

the only one that i can recomend.. is 4.60.
that one is great..

4.70/71/71a
are buggy as hell..

i recomend "forceaspi" witch is 4.60
for compabilety.. with 2K & XP
with evt. the aspifix if youre having problems.

Reply #16
Note: the special edition has been removed.

==
Hi all,

a special build of CDex is available from my CDex guide page. A big thanks to Case for his invaluable help with the installer script.

Differences from the official release:
  • lame_enc.dll upgraded to 3.90.3, the recommended version
  • Ogg Vorbis DLLs updated to the latest CVS version [quite stable, fixes a few bugs found since 1.0]
  • Updated German and Spanish language files
  • New mac.dll for faster Monkeys Audio encoding
  • New WavPack and MAD [MP3] DLLs for media player
  • Removed in_mp3.dll and in_vorbis.dll
  • Rather nice installer, even if I say so myself
Let me know what you think of all this. Also, if someone can help me with icons for the installer, let me know.

Cheers,
CD

Edit: updated URL, removed broken link.

Reply #17
maybe at the point 2 add the info on how to get the aspi version (from cdex 'file/system info' for example), since aspi layer  is/was always connected to a lot of confusion.

edit:
now, that is interesting, i get 2 different drive-infos when i click the system info few times, lmao:

1st try
CDex version  :1.50
Disk ID       :00000000
Volume ID     :0
OS Version    :Windows XP (Version 5.1 build 2600 )
Aspi Manager  :Adaptec; Adaptec's ASPI Layer 4.60 (1021)

Detailed drive info Ha:01 Id: 00 Lun:00
Device Name: "TEAC    CD-W58E         "
Drive is MMC style
Read CD-RW=1
Read CD-R=1
Support Method2=1
Write CD-RW=1
Write CD-R=1
Test Write=1
CDDA support=1
CDDA stream accurate=1
Current read speed=5623 [kBps]
Max read speed=5623 [kBps]
Current write speed=1406 [kBps]
Max write speed=1406 [kBps]
Supported buffer size= 1275 [kB]

2nd try
CDex version  :1.50
Disk ID       :00000000
Volume ID     :0
OS Version    :Windows XP (Version 5.1 build 2600 )
Aspi Manager  :Adaptec; Adaptec's ASPI Layer 4.60 (1021)

Detailed drive info Ha:01 Id: 00 Lun:00
Device Name: "TEAC    CD-W58E         "
Drive does not support MMC
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung