Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Mp3tag" now with MusePack-support ! (Read 8055 times) previous topic - next topic

"Mp3tag" now with MusePack-support !

The author of the superb tag- and rename-program "Mp3tag" added since his latest release V2.13 now support for MusePack-files (APE-V2-tags).

For download and further information take a look at the Mp3tag-Homepage. Supported formats are now MP3, Vorbis and MPC. German and also a translated english version (for international use) are available.

Thanks go out to the author, Florian Heidenreich, for making it real ! Simply great, ´cause it was already my favourite tagger for my MP3-collection !!! 

- R.A.F. -
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #1
Yay. More support for MPC. This will hopefully add even more mindshare.

Reply #2
Before I try this program I have two questions:

1) Does it fiddle with my registry?

2) Can it be set to use APE2-tags with Mp3's?

Reply #3
Before I try this program I have two questions:

1) Does it fiddle with my registry?

1) it makes some few essential registry entries but when you use the uninstaller they are gone

2) Yes, I think so
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #4

2) Yes, I think so 

[span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']HOW??[/span]
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #5

2) Yes, I think so

How did you do the trick?  I've implemented APE2 only for MPCs at the moment

The only way is to temporary rename your MP3s to MPCs, save the APE2-tag and rename them back to MP3s.

With best regards,
~ Florian

P.S.: - R.A.F -, thanks for the friendly support 

Reply #6
The only way is to temporary rename your MP3s to MPCs, save the APE2-tag and rename them back to MP3s.

This will work?  hmmm I think I'll try.

Reply #7
Cool, it does work!!

edit:  hmmmm it may take some time to do all my mp3s this way.

Reply #8
Tried this masstagger. Don't find any way to create personal fields (performer, conductor, composition...). Did I miss something ?

Reply #9
Until now I noticed 2 bugs in Mp3tag:

- When you try to read-in more than ~ 1500 MPC´s, the program crashes (it totally "disappears").

- The leading "0" (zero) in the number-field is not tagged. For example only "2" instead of "02".

And what I also would appreciate, if there would be a function like in "Tag&Rename" already available:
"Copy IDV1-tag to IDV2-tag" - and the opposite "Copy IDV2-tag to IDV1-tag".
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #10
Tried this masstagger. Don't find any way to create personal fields (performer, conductor, composition...). Did I miss something ?

No, you didn´t miss anything. It´s simply not in it.

Reply #11
I'm trying this nice tagger but the first problem I've found is with the translation... how can I change the language without uninstall and reinstall everything?

I've tried the italian translation but there's too much dialogues still in dutch and this way I can't use the program. Is it possible to leave the untraslated dialogues in english instead of dutch?

thanks for your work,

Fede

Reply #12
I'm trying this nice tagger but the first problem I've found is with the translation... how can I change the language without uninstall and reinstall everything?

I've tried the italian translation but there's too much dialogues still in dutch and this way I can't use the program. Is it possible to leave the untraslated dialogues in english instead of dutch?

Fede, at the moment the only way to change the language is to uninstall an reinstall the program.

But I've just uploaded a hopefully better and more complete italian translation. With this translation all untranslated strings are in english - not in german.

Simply unpack the file to Mp3tag's program directory

With best regards,
~ Florian

Reply #13
- When you try to read-in more than ~ 1500 MPC´s, the program crashes (it totally "disappears").

Uhm, Mp3tag does not 'disappear' - every time a unexpected error occours it shows an error dialog and stores some crash information in the file Mp3tagError.log under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mp3tag\.

- The leading "0" (zero) in the number-field is not tagged. For example only "2" instead of "02".

You can enable leading zeros at Options, ID3, ID3v2.

And what I also would appreciate, if there would be a function like in "Tag&Rename" already available:
"Copy IDV1-tag to IDV2-tag" - and the opposite "Copy IDV2-tag to IDV1-tag".

I don't like this function, because Mp3tag already stores ID3v1-tags and/or ID3v2-tags depending on the settings at Options, ID3.  If you only enable ID3v1 reading but both writing you'll have a Copy IDV1-tag to IDV2-tag-feature (and the other way round).

With best regards,
~ Florian

Reply #14
But I've just uploaded a hopefully better and more complete italian translation. With this translation all untranslated strings are in english - not in german.

Simply unpack the file to Mp3tag's program directory

Thanks, this way your tagger works really better too for Italian people!

And this is too a better way to change language without reinstall everything

Thanks again,

Fede

Reply #15
Uhm, Mp3tag does not 'disappear' - every time a unexpected error occours it shows an error dialog and stores some crash information in the file Mp3tagError.log under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mp3tag\.

Well, I just looked into the by you described folder - but couldn´t find any error-logfile. Then I tried a search of my whole partition "C" for *tagerror*, but the only thing that was found was an error-logfile from an elder version (2.11) dated at 02-08/2003 - so this can´t be it.
But what I can give you, are the error-messages shown at the screen:
First window:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: c\program files\mp3tag\mp3tag.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

.... and second window (now in german):
Die Anweisung in 0x6c371351 verweist auf Speicher in "0x00000004". Der Vorgang "read" konnte nicht auf dem Speicher durgeführt werden.
Klicken Sie auf "OK", um das Programm zu beenden.

I do have to activate then the ID3V2-tagging. But this is not the recommended way MPC´s should be tagged with, ´cause ID3V2 is under suspicion to destroy some of the music-datas of the MPC-files. - Or aren´t the MPC´s tagged with ID3V2-tags anyway, even if this function is activated? - If so, then maybe the program-layout should be redesigned. What about a checkbox besides ID3V1&V2 with APEV2 in this field? - And ID3V1&2-boxes faded grey, as MPC´s don´t need to be tagged with ID3-tags.
Edit:
Just tried tagging with this checkbox set ("leading zeroes"), but unfortunately the result is negative. Still "2" instead of "02".... 

Reply #16

Well, I just looked into the by you described folder - but couldn´t find any error-logfile.

I've just PMd you about this issue, because it seems, that this will need some debugging.

I do have to activate then the ID3V2-tagging. But this is not the recommended way MPC´s should be tagged with, ´cause ID3V2 is under suspicion to destroy some of the music-datas of the MPC-files. - Or aren´t the MPC´s tagged with ID3V2-tags anyway, even if this function is activated? - If so, then maybe the program-layout should be redesigned. What about a checkbox besides ID3V1&V2 with APEV2 in this field? - And ID3V1&2-boxes faded grey, as MPC´s don´t need to be tagged with ID3-tags.
Edit:
Just tried tagging with this checkbox set ("leading zeroes"), but unfortunately the result is negative. Still "2" instead of "02".... 

Mp3tag does not store ID3v2-tags in MPCs! Only APE2-tags are stored in MPCs! I agree, that the option is a little bit misplaced.

Mp3tag did ignore the leading zeros-option at MPC files and I've fixed both issues with the current Developer Build of Mp3tag.  Thanks for the bug-report!

With best regards,
~ Florian

Reply #17
Thanks for the fast debugging. By the way, I yet discovered another slight bug concerning MP3-tagging this time. Another field seems to be wiped-out (cleared), if you tag another one. But I must repeat it to get more clear about it. Later on !

Reply #18
Thanks for the fast debugging. By the way, I yet discovered another slight bug concerning MP3-tagging this time. Another field seems to be wiped-out (cleared), if you tag another one. But I must repeat it to get more clear about it. Later on !

Could you please post other bug-reports to my Mp3tag Forums at http://forum.mp3tag.de or send them via eMail to support attt mp3tag.de?

Thanks in advance,
~ Florian

Reply #19
Very cool prog! I hope it will support MPCs with ID3v1.

Reply #20
Very cool prog! I hope it will support MPCs with ID3v1.

Thanks 

Do you mean support for ID3v1 instead of APE2?  I'm not sure about writing both ID3v1 and APE2 to a file, beacause according to Frank Klemms Musepack documentation it's strongly recommended to store the APE2-tag at the end of the file (and so ID3v1). So a MPC file cannot contain both tags - or am I wrong?

~ Florian

Reply #21
i don't see the point in writing id3v1 tags to mpc files as ape tags have become the de-facto standard tags for mpc files.

regards; ilikedirt

Reply #22
.... because according to Frank Klemms Musepack documentation it's strongly recommended to store the APE2-tag at the end of the file (and so ID3v1). So a MPC file cannot contain both tags - or am I wrong?

You are wrong. MPC-files can contain both: ID3V1-tags and APEV2. Even all three tags are possible (but not recommended, as you already said): ID3V1 + ID3V2 + APEV2.

P.S.:
Florian, you just got a PM from me.

Reply #23
Mp3tag perfectly reads the Russian text from APEv2 tags, but writes them not correctly (??? instead of letters and cuts some letters)

Reply #24
Until now I noticed 2 bugs in Mp3tag:

The Bug was an erroneous APE-Footer in a file. The footer stated a wrong size for the tag and so some field-sizes come with unusal sizes like 1GB ...

Mp3tag will take care of those files with the next release. Thanks to R.A.F for helping me at bug-hunting.

EDIT: Bug fixed in current Developer Build. Will report !BAD APE2 instead of crash

With best regards,
~ Florian