Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert .wav or .flac files to dsd64 in ffmpeg (Read 7878 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert .wav or .flac files to dsd64 in ffmpeg

Is that at least possible through ffmpeg? If so, how to do it? I want to convert some of my wav files to dsd64. I looked for it in google and i didnt found anything, on each audio forum including hydrogen audio, i tried to make a .bat file with following content: -i filename.wav filename.dsf and it didnt worked.

Re: Convert .wav or .flac files to dsd64 in ffmpeg

Reply #2
How to do it through SoX then?

Reply #4
sox input.wav ouput.dsf rate -v 2822400

Reply #5
Thanks!!

Reply #6
Seems like i get an error: sox FAIL formats: no handler for file extension 'dsf'

Reply #7
You need to download and use the modified version, Rollin gave you the link above.

Reply #8
Ok, but how to install and use it? I created a .bat file with sox blank.wav blank.dsf rate -v 2822400 and it doesnt recognise sox command when i type it manually, after clicking on that .bat file console pop ups and disappears in the same time.

Reply #9
Ok it seemed like i downloaded wrong file, i downloaded sox-dsd-win32-MSVC.zip and everything works fine. Can someone post here a lines for dsd128 and dsd256?

Reply #10
Also could someone tell me how to convert wav to dsd in foobar2000? Step after step.

Reply #11
Also could someone tell me how to convert wav to dsd in foobar2000? Step after step.

Install the SACD component as well as DSD Processor from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/, both are in the foo_input_sacd package.

Install the DSD Converter component from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_dsd_converter/

Once both are installed, to go Preferences, Tools, SACD. Set DSD Processor to DSD Processor.

Click on DSD Processor also under Preferences, Tools.

Click next to the PCM sample rate under the Output column and select the DSD rate you want (SACD is DSD64). Click on SDM type and just select C.

Load your PCM-based files in Foobar. Right click, go to convert, select DSD Convert. Set the output format you want (DSDIFF OR DSF). Select your output path and your filename format. Click convert.

Foobar will spit out DSF/DFF files from your WAV/FLAC.

Alternatively; you can search for TASCAM Hi-Res Editor. It will also convert between PCM and DSD and has a price-tag of $0.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Reply #12
Thanks a lot!!

Reply #13
No problem. Some things I will note:

DFF files produced by DSD Converter are not SACD compatible, theyre not recgonized by any Philips tools. I've been working on examining the files to figure out why.

Please dont author PCM converts as SACD and try to pass them off any "communities" as a legitimate SACD.

Realtime playback in DSD if thats your goal can be done in Foobar by just activating DSD Processor and playing the file.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Reply #14
When i run TASCAM editor i get bluescreen. Can somebody explain why that happens to me?

Reply #15
Sorry. Never had a problem with TASCAM. This would indicate some driver issues with your computer.

Reply #16
Ok, i just realised that the sox convertion gives me the best quality, are there any options to also increase the quality a bit instead of upsampling to dsd128/256? i read something on the forums that filters like sdm can be used but they doesnt work for me. Can you explain me whats the point with these filters?

Reply #17
when i try to convert a song in foobar2000 with a samplerate of 48khz to dsd256 and any SDM i get a file that last about 0.5s and when i select dsd256/48 i get info: Unsupported samplerate 12288000 can someone help me with that?

Reply #19
DSD is snake oil.