Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: exhale - Open Source USAC encoder (Read 302338 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: exhale - Open Source USAC encoder

Reply #850
The FLAC DR is higher?

DR Meter is a bad tool for measuring dynamic range. Forget it.
In fact, according to your test, FLAC has a lower DR value than all lossy encodings.

Reply #851
I did a quick Dynamic Range test with foobar2000 and EZ CD Audio Converter 9.3.2

The FLAC DR is higher?

Convert the attached file to several lossy formats with different settings, this will show how useless the DR meter is.

Reply #852
I have unfinished test of older version exhale 1.1.0, SBR, 44.1 vs 48 kHz @ ~ 48 kbps.
48kHz helps a lot actually even  at 48 kbps.
Code: [Select]
	48 kbps , exhale 1.1.0					
MOS (Mean Opinion Score) 2.78 2.48 2.97 3.03 2.33 3.53

min 1.3 1.3 1.3 1.8 1.5 2.8
Great, thanks a lot for this info! If you or anyone else ever ends up being bored in the near future, I'd be extremely curious to see this test being completed :)

Regarding the DR discussion: don't know that that "Official DR Value" in the spreadsheet means, but the loudness range in EBU R128 resp. ITU-R BS.1770-4 seems to be one of the most accurate and standardized ways of measuring such information.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: my latest change to the exhale source code shouldn't change exhale's behavior.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #855
enc v1.1.5-1592b40c, dec v1.23
#a-g - the encoder suppresses one channel out of two.

Reply #856
enc v1.1.5-1592b40c, dec v1.23
#a-g - the encoder suppresses one channel out of two.
These signals should not be used to test SBR modes I suppose, the Winamp AAC encoder also cannot encode them correctly when using SBR.

Reply #857
enc v1.1.5-1592b40c, dec v1.23, foobar2000 v1.6.6, win64
#a-g - conversion failed (noSBR is fine).

Reply #858

Same here:
  Conversion failed: Unsupported format or corrupted file (moov box not found)

Reply #859
If you or anyone else ever ends up being bored in the near future, I'd be extremely curious to see this test being completed :)
Yep, that will be great. It's difficult to concentrate for me on something in this moment. Hopefully Kamedo2 , Guru or somebody else can run some tests.

Reply #860
Thanks, bug identified, will be fixed on the weekend.

Chris

Reply #861
Exhale 1.1.5-1592b40c for EZ CD Audio Converter

Put DLLs ("x86\" for 32-bit "x64\" for 64bit) to "C:\Program Files\EZ CD Audio Converter\"

Press "Ctrl+E" to enable in Exhale (for testing purposes ::)) in EZ CD Audio Converter

Good news - "Exhale 1.1.5-1592b40c for EZ CD Audio Converter" successfully passed the xHE-AAC™ encoder compliancy tests developed by Fraunhofer.

Reply #862

Put DLLs ("x86\" for 32-bit "x64\" for 64bit) to "C:\Program Files\EZ CD Audio Converter\"

Press "Ctrl+E" to enable in Exhale (for testing purposes ::)) in EZ CD Audio Converter

I believe there is a bug - EZ CD does not offer the option of e-g for the highest bitrate SBR mode.

Reply #863

I believe there is a bug - EZ CD does not offer the option of e-g for the highest bitrate SBR mode.
I don't think it's a bug. You can find the same behavior with AAC encoders like FHG or formerly FDK: some presets are discarded and EZ only offers the presumably best choice for each targeted bitrate. In this case, SBR is enabled by default for 48…72 kbps but for higher bitrates the core encoder is set by default. I think it's done on purpose to make the usage easier for end-users (in my opinion it's a good choice).

Reply #864

I don't think it's a bug. You can find the same behavior with AAC encoders like FHG or formerly FDK: some presets are discarded and EZ only offers the presumably best choice for each targeted bitrate. In this case, SBR is enabled by default for 48…72 kbps but for higher bitrates the core encoder is set by default. I think it's done on purpose to make the usage easier for end-users (in my opinion it's a good choice).

If there is a hidden option for a new encoder requiring a special key combination to enable, I think all options should be available for it. At least until there are public ABX tests to confirm that those options are the best choice. In my case I would like to test the various options for particular genres in my library.

Reply #865
In my case I would like to test the various options for particular genres in my library.
You can still use e.g. foobar2000 for that, see exhale's Readme or the Wiki mentioned in the first post of this thread. As a personal remark, I agree with guruboolez that the simplified configuration provided in the EZ CD Audio Converter software is well chosen.

I just finished a new exhale 1.1.6 release candidate (commit e38b9a3) which, hopefully, fixes both the "conversion failed" and "missing 6-kHz tone" issues reported by Gravitator (thanks again!). As usual, let me know if there are any issues with this version. I'll turn this into the final release next weekend.

Chris

Reply #867
macOS Universal compile for x86_64 and arm64, of exhale-v1.1.6-RC1-e38b9a3:

Reply #868
Why does any SBR mode cut channel frequencies up to 13 kHz with stereo input 32kHz?

Reply #869
Are you referring to Exhale or EZ CD Audio converter?

EZ CD Audio converter uses SBR 8:3 in VBR and 2:1 in CBR at low bitrates. Perhaps the author of the program can explain the reason for this choice.

Reply #870
celona, the name of the topic. For closed Fraunhofer needs a separate topic (avoid confusion).

Reply #871
This is a limitation of exhale's SBR encoder, it can only do SBR encoding with a cutoff frequency of around 38% of the sampling rate. But for the bitrates supported by exhale, I don't think that SBR encoding at 32 kHz sounds better than encoding at 44.1 or 48 kHz, anyway, mostly because pre-echo artifacts become more audible (the temporal resolution is really low then).

Chris

Reply #872
don't think that SBR encoding at 32 kHz sounds better than encoding at 44.1 or 48 kHz, anyway, mostly because pre-echo artifacts become more audible (the temporal resolution is really low then).
Does this rule not work for mode #0 with 32 kHz limit?

Reply #874
Does this rule not work for mode #0 with 32 kHz limit?
Correct, for the non-SBR modes, mode 0 sounds better at 32 kHz than at higher sampling rates. For SBR modes, it's different because the codec internally halves the sampling rate.

Regarding the "cricket": I can't hear it, but I think I know what you mean. Does it go away when you downsample the input file to 44.1 kHz before encoding with mode a? 48 kHz might be a bit too much for the lowest SBR mode on some audio.

Chris