Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB 1.6.1 Beta 5 - Crash on audio interface shutdown (Read 1340 times) previous topic - next topic

FB 1.6.1 Beta 5 - Crash on audio interface shutdown

Hello,

I just report that FB 1.6.1 Beta 5 crashed when I accidentally switched off my (external) DAC.

My DAC is a MOTU 896 Mk3, USB2 interface and MOTU ASIO driver (my PC is a 32bit Windows 10).

Previous versions of FB, at least down to 1.5 were not suffering this problem.

Regards, Andrea

Re: FB 1.6.1 Beta 5 - Crash on audio interface shutdown

Reply #1
It doesn't crash for me.

Using the default WASAPI output, if i turn off my DAC I get prompted for another output device.

Code: [Select]
Device: Speakers (FOSTEX USB Audio HP-A8)
Mix format: 44100 Hz / 32-bit float  / 2 channels (0x3)
Output invalidated...

Using WASAPI exclusive and turning off my DAC just freezes playback.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Submit reports please. I cannot locate a matching entry. If you did not auto submit, send the .txt + .dmp files to me, they should still be there (crash reports folder in foobar2000 profile folder) unless manually deleted.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
Submit reports please. I cannot locate a matching entry. If you did not auto submit, send the .txt + .dmp files to me, they should still be there (crash reports folder in foobar2000 profile folder) unless manually deleted.

Hello @Peter , here you are the files (attached) are about the last crash that Foobar recorded.
However, the date is not matching with the date of the crash.
So, I have to suppose that on that crash Foobar was not able to record any report/status.
That was the reason why I did not provide you those when I posted the message.

Thanks and regards, Andrea

Reply #4
Hello @Peter, it happened again with FB 1.6.1 Beta 7.

This time I got Windows Blue Screen reporting PFL LIST CORRUPT
And I had also FB detecting the bad shutdown on the following restart, but, unfortunately, even this time no FB debug reports in the AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\crash reports .

Kind regards,
Andrea

Reply #5
I'm sorry but I'm afraid that there's not much that I can do about a bluescreen - it has to be some kind of a driver bug.
Perhaps your USB audio device can be made run with generic Microsoft drivers instead of manufacturer-provided ones?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Hello @Peter, thanks for your reply. I understand you confirm that it is a Windows' problem.
However, it happens only when I action (play or stop) Foobar and never happened with versions below 1.6.
I mean, with FB up to 1.5, as soon as the ASIO driver was back to service again, the audio stream from FB restarted automatically and I never had a Windows bluescreen (so, I supposed it to be related to the new audio architecture/interface of FB 1.6).
Anyway, it is not a real problem (my audio interface goes down when I accidently power it off. It is my fault), so I do not waste your time anymore about.
Kind regards, Andrea