Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: About detecting the start/end time of each word in the lyrics. (Read 3031 times) previous topic - next topic

About detecting the start/end time of each word in the lyrics.

Simply speaking, I want to make an application which can can realize the Karaoke effect. In other words, this application can make users sing the song along with the background music by viewing the lyrics shown word by word( the word's showing speed is decided by the detecting start/end time of it).

In order to make this application, I need to know the start time and period  of each word in the lyrics. Generally, this work is done by manually operation. However, I hope there is a  automatic way to help me find the time point for each word.

Any advice? Many thanks.

Reply #1
No.  A human is best for that and you're going to basically have to do it manually.  You wan write an application that shows the sound waveform and the text.  I'm thinking you can select/play a section of the waveform and then click on the word.

Speech Recognition Software is not that good (yet?).  If you start singing or playing music while you're singing/talking it's going to get confused...

FYI - I have a plug-in called MiniLyrics ($25 USD) that I use with Winamp (it works with most music-player software).  All of the synchronized lyrics in their database have only have the 1st word of each line synchronized, but they have the most complete database of synchronized  that I've found.  About half of my songs were in their database.  Of course, the lyrics are synchronized to the commercial release, not to a karaoke version.    There is also a tool for adding/sycnronizing your own lyrics, but it's not that easy to use and I usually end-up doing it manually, which takes "forever".

Reply #2
Thanks.

But I still want to find out how to automatically recognize the start point of every word.

Reply #3
I would take a look at some of the applications in DVDdoug's link.  However, I suspect you will be unhappy with how well this works for real music.

Reply #4
Speech Recognition Software is not that good (yet?).  If you start singing or playing music while you're singing/talking it's going to get confused...

You can try to use a vocal remover wired backwards to eliminate a lot of the music. Speech recognition would not have to be perfect. If it could recognize as little as one word per line, it may be good enough for rough synchronization.