Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD / DFF in wavpack using Ubuntu (Read 76243 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD / DFF in wavpack using Ubuntu

Hello everyone, I recently discovered this format and that there is the possibility of drastically reducing the space of a file dsd (dsf or dff) if placed in the "container" wavpack ..... I used this guide [Moderator edit: Link removed ] and I already had several of my albums from dsf to wv, as I have been using Ubuntu for some time I wanted to know if it was possible to do the same thing using Ubuntu and not Windows ....... Another question, I noticed that after I got the wv file the tags are not transferred, is this normal?
Thank you

Re: DSD / DFF in wavpack using Ubuntu

Reply #1
wavpack is cross platform and free software, so why not
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #2
Thanks for the answer but how do I use it with Ubuntu, what I would like to do is turn my dsf into wv, I can only do it on windows, with Ubuntu how do I do it?
Thank you

Reply #3
The batch processor you used on Windows is not available on Linux, so you will probably have to use the command line. I assume that if you like Ubuntu then you must have some familiarity with it.

But assuming you have wavpack 5.1.0 installed on your Linux system, the command to convert a dsf to a wv, in high mode and copying tags, would be something like:

Code: [Select]
wavpack -h --import-id3 "01 Because.dsf"

Also note that on Linux the music server MPD handles WavPack DSD file natively, and JRiver's Media Center is also available on Linux (although I have not tried that).

Good luck!

Reply #4
Thank you very much for the answer, batchencoder is very simple to use and unfortunately works only with windows, install wavpack 5.1 on Ubuntu as it does? I simply downloaded the zip and extracted the folder, as you say then I have to convert one file at a time, with batchencoder I can upload all the files I want and then I start and do it all by myself ..... Too bad there is not something similar for Ubuntu ..... unfortunately I will have to continue to go on windows ..... With Batchencoder, however, I can not understand how to carry the tags on the wv that I get, they all come without tags ....
Thank you

Reply #5
You actually can do multiple files with the command-line program. Doing a whole folder is as easy as:

wavpack -h --import-id3 *.dsf

As for the batch utility, I don't see any reason that you couldn't add the --import-id3 option to the list of options. If the DSF file has an ID3v2 tag then it will be imported into the WV file.

Reply #6
I'm sorry but I can not find the option to import tags with batchencoder ....

A question about the file obtained, I saw that mediainfo sees it as a pcm 88.2, by chance the files are reconverted to pcm? If I use the highest compression mode (so get the smallest file) my player will make more effort to read it? Use Foobar 1.4 on a fifth generation Intel Nuc i3 .....
Thank you

Reply #7
In the web page you originally linked to there is a section about adding options to the presets. In that case they talked about adding the option to automatically delete the source file (-d) but what you need to do is add the option to import ID3 tags from the source file (--import-id3). In other words, you have to add that to the list of options that batch encoder passes to wavpack. Note that there are two dashes before the “import-id3” and there must be a space between the options, but they can be in any order. So, for high mode and importing tags the box would be:

-h --import-id3

It may be that mediainfo has not been updated to properly handle the new DSD files of WavPack, which is why it shows what it does. Don't worry...if you used batch encoder (or the command-line in Ubuntu) to convert from a DSF to WV, then it will be DSD. If you use some other program like Foobar or Jriver Media Center then you will get a PCM file, so don't do that.

Yes, the highest compression will use more CPU in exchange for a smaller file. However, even in the “high” mode it still decodes fairly easily on any modern CPU. If you are concerned you can use Task Manager on Windows (or System Monitor on Ubuntu) to find out the CPU usage during playback.

Reply #8
I put that option but from error to the end and then the wv file is not created .....

Reply #9
I finally managed to use my Ubuntu distribution to create the .wv files but also here by mistake on the tag and consequently delete the created file, the error is this "ID3v2 import: not valid ID3v2.3"
So I have to use the "wavpack -h * .dsf" command so I can do the whole folder but without importing the tags ...... it's okay, but of course if you care, I'd like it ....
the command -h indicates that I want to use the higher compression, right? If I put -f the slowest and for the normal one I do not have to put anything? That is, the command would be "wavpack * .dsf"?
At the moment I have the problem on Ubuntu that I can not find a player to play these wv, vlc goes to play but you can not hear anything, DeadBeef does not accept them ..... which player can I use to play them? I installed MPD but I do not know how use it ....
Thank you

Reply #10
Ah, so that explains why you were getting the error with the batch encoder...there is a problem with the tag format on the DSF file. The most common reason I've seen for this is that the tag is a ID3v2.4 tag, whereas WavPack currently only accepts ID3v2.3 (which is what the DSF spec calls out, I believe). If you could find some way of providing me the file (short and compressed with WavPack is okay because even without importing the tag it is still stored in the WV file) that would help me identify (and possibly fix) the problem. If you have another way of checking the tags that might tell you if it's v2.4.

MPD requires another program to act as a "front end" to control it and I have never tried to make it work either, although I'm sure sure there are guides online. You could try JRiver Media Center or Foobar under Wine. I see that the Deadbeef developer is aware of a problem with WavPack DSD files with Linux, but I'm not sure where he is with that:

https://github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/issues/1973

Of course, you should be able to encode the tracks on Linux and transfer them to Windows to play them, although until the tags are importable it doesn't make much sense.

As for the compression levels, for DSD there are only two. If you don't specify anything you get the "normal" mode which is very easy on CPU for encode and decode. The only other mode is "high" which is turned on by -h and gives about 10% more compression and uses a lot more CPU, but still not that much. For example, even the high mode easily decodes on a Raspberry Pi or my old Android phone (using Foobar).

Reply #11
Thank you so much for your answer ..... I try to answer everything and I apologize if I use a translator but unfortunately I do not know English ....
The program I use to tag is called Kid3 https://kid3.sourceforge.io/ and is present in the repositories of Ubuntu, it also works with Windows but is not as stable as on Ubuntu, in my opinion it is an excellent program for tags, although undoubtedly it would be better that they were passed automatically on the file wv with this program I put a moment to put the tags on the wv thanks to the copy / paste, I confirm that it is the version ID3v2.4.0, so if you want to do some tests just use this program to tag ......
About MPD I installed it on my Ubuntu and I put two programs that rely on him (Sonata and Cantata) but with neither I can load the library, I do not know if I have to go into the settings of mpd via terminal to do so .. ...
DeaDBeef is just the program that I use for Ubuntu (Foobar I use it with Windows 10 in my Hi-Fi system) and the wv files obtained by the dsf does not load them (I play DeaDBeef, the program opens but does not load any file wv) while instead the dsf / dff reads them without problems .....With VLC instead the files load them but they do not feel ....
Take advantage to ask another question, you can return to the original dsf file from the wv file I got, if you can do it?
Thank you

Reply #12
I update the situation regarding the import of the tags, if the dsf is tagged with version 2.3.0 the tags are imported into the wv file, so the problem is only for version 2.4.0 tags.
The problem I think is only mine so if you can implement the import of version 2.4.0 well, otherwise it does not do anything ..... All my files I tagged them with this program (Kid3) that at the beginning are in version 2.3, when they are then imported to Kid3 and I make changes are saved in version 2.4, that's why I find myself all my dsf files in version 2.4
Thank you

Reply #13
Thanks for letting me know about the tagging issue. I would think that a good tagger program would allow you to use v2.3 tags because those are the most popular and most supported in software and hadware. I have been working a little on v2.2 because I found some old files with them, but I wasn't going to bother with v2.4.

In answer to your last question, yes, you can always restore the original exact DSF file from the WV file. This works even of the tags are not imported...all the original file is stored in the WavPack file. And of course with DSD files WavPack is always lossless.

Reply #14
What is the procedure for returning the wv file to dsd / dff? It's just a curiosity ..... Thanks

Reply #15
What is the procedure for returning the wv file to dsd / dff? It's just a curiosity ..... Thanks
From the command line (Windows or Linux)
wvunpack filename.wv
A batch encoder that uses the command line program should also work. The unpacked file will have the original file's extension (DSF, or WAV, or whatever).

Reply #16
Can I also convert flac files to wv? I tried with the
wavpack * .flac
command, but an error comes out ....

Reply #17
No, flac files are not supported for input. The file types allowed are (from wavpack help):

Formats: .wav (default, bwf/rf64 okay)  .wv (transcode, with tags)
          .w64 (Sony Wave64)             .caf (Core Audio Format)
          .dff (Philips DSDIFF)          .dsf (Sony DSD stream)

If you want to transcode from flac to wv, Foobar would work perfectly, and would transfer the tags too.

Reply #18
Perfect, thanks ..... in fact I do not need to convert the flac in wv, I tried on windows with batchencoder and the flac files are not reduced as the dsf / dff, I guess because the flac is already a compressed format, but slowly plan my dsd I'm converting to wv because having 40% less occupied space is a great thing, congratulations to you that you have made this program .....

Reply #19
I resume the tread to ask something, with Linux now I create the wv from dsf without problems, but I do not have a player with which to hear them, those based on mpd do not work, deadbeef does not accept them, vlc accepts them but indicates a wrong time and not feel, how can I do to listen to them with Ubuntu?
Thank you

Reply #20
I've never tried MPD myself, but I know that it has full native support for WavPack DSD. You need to choose a client to use it, as described here, and I'm sure you can find help if you run into trouble. I would be interested in hearing about your results.

As I mentioned above, JRiver Media Center has a Linux version, and that handles WavPack DSD natively too. It's not free, but it's not expensive and the free trial is pretty generous, and they have a forum for helping out also.

I think that many people on this forum run Foobar2000 under wine, so that's another possibility. I've never tried that, but Foobar2000 on Windows handles WavPack DSD great.

Reply #21
Requesting user to run Foobar2000 under wine is very nice for open source community.

Reply #22
Right, so ask the Open Source community to update their heccing WavPack dependencies, this has been a solved problem for ages now.

Reply #23
Foobar on windows 10 I use it and that's fine, on Ubuntu unfortunately it does not work anymore, I do not know why but it does not open anymore, I'll try to ask in the Ubuntu community, as regards MPD based programs I can not make them work I tried them all but all have problems, but VLC, DeadBeef and Audacity support the wv with pcm very well but not those with dsd ......
Thank you

Reply #24
I finally managed to use my Ubuntu distribution to create the .wv files but also here by mistake on the tag and consequently delete the created file, the error is this "ID3v2 import: not valid ID3v2.3"
So I have to use the "wavpack -h * .dsf" command so I can do the whole folder but without importing the tags ...... it's okay, but of course if you care, I'd like it ....
the command -h indicates that I want to use the higher compression, right? If I put -f the slowest and for the normal one I do not have to put anything? That is, the command would be "wavpack * .dsf"?
At the moment I have the problem on Ubuntu that I can not find a player to play these wv, vlc goes to play but you can not hear anything, DeadBeef does not accept them ..... which player can I use to play them? I installed MPD but I do not know how use it ....
Thank you

What version of ubuntu do you use? If you use 18.04 you should not have big problems.
MPD must read DSD (in Wavpack) from version 0.20 onwards. Ubuntu 18.04 incorporates version 0.20.18

The issue is that MPD uses a client-server architecture. MPD is the daemon-server (the player itself), and you must install a client (graphical interface for mpd); the client can be on the same machine, on another, on a smartphone, tablet, etc.

You must install mpd and connect the client (one or more) to the server. It's relatively complex, but not so much.

A guide (maybe outdated? I use ubuntu 16.04 yet) http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/MPD_INSTALL_USER_SERVICE_UBUNTU
Here they install mpd + gmpc (client). If it succeeds, then you can also install another or several clients to control the player.

Sorry for my english