Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wvunpack DSD to PCM (Read 4596 times) previous topic - next topic

wvunpack DSD to PCM

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to do this and what the best steps are. Ideally, I want to convert DSD wavpack files to FLAC. I'm not sure if I need to convert to DSF first and then use another program to convert to FLAC or what the recommended method is if anyone has suggestions.

Re: wvunpack DSD to PCM

Reply #1
FLAC does not support DSD audio, so there's no way to make a FLAC equivalent file of a WavPack DSD file. Of course, FLAC supports PCM audio and it's possible to convert from DSD to PCM, although the process is not technically lossless.

The easiest way to do the conversion from DSD WavPack to PCM FLAC would be to use something like Foobar2000 or JRiver Media Center which support both formats and will also transfer any metadata tags (like artist, album, cover art, etc). The resulting FLAC files with be either 44.1 kHz or 88.2 kHz and probably 24 bit.

The WavPack command-line unpacker (wvunpack) will convert to 24-bit WAV files (using the --wav option), although they will be at a very high sampling rate (like 352.8 kHz). You could then use another command-line program like SoX to downsample and convert to FLAC in one operation. The major problem with this method is that you will lose metadata tags.

Hope this helps!