Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to embed cue file into DSD WavPack image? (Read 4696 times) previous topic - next topic

How to embed cue file into DSD WavPack image?

I am new to WavPack and learned recently that WavPack support lossless DSD compression directly. This is awesome! But I have problem embedding cue file into DSD WavPack image with (-w "Cuesheet=@file.cue") command. It's a single DSF file containing 4 tracks of music. After embedding the cue file to the compressed WavPack image, I can see the cue info is embedded to the wv file at the end as APEv2 tag. But when I open with Foobar2000, it's still showing one whole track instead of 4 tracks. (the original DSF file size is 2.39 GB, and the compressed wv is 1.03 GB). But if the 4 tracks DSF files are compressed separately and then merged with XRECODE (it got transcoded, so the size is around 600MB). After embedding the cue file, Foobar2000 can display this wv file correctly as multi-track image. I don't know if it's limitation, bug or something I have missed.

Thanks,

Re: How to embed cue file into DSD WavPack image?

Reply #1
I am not exactly sure what's going on, but I have definitely been able to make this work (once I fixed the BOM issue that is in the 5.1.0 release). Sorry you're having trouble.

One thing I did not try is using cuesheets with the SACD plug-in installed. I think it has different handling of tags and so might not work correctly with cuesheets, and that would explain why the transcoded version worked (which I assume is now PCM WavPack).

Are you using that plug-in send DSD directly to your DAC?

Reply #2
I am not exactly sure what's going on, but I have definitely been able to make this work (once I fixed the BOM issue that is in the 5.1.0 release). Sorry you're having trouble.

One thing I did not try is using cuesheets with the SACD plug-in installed. I think it has different handling of tags and so might not work correctly with cuesheets, and that would explain why the transcoded version worked (which I assume is now PCM WavPack).

Are you using that plug-in send DSD directly to your DAC?

yes, I use the SACD plug-in. How do you play DSD WavPack image (I assume it's still DSD) without SACD plug-in?

Reply #3
How do you play DSD WavPack image (I assume it's still DSD) without SACD plug-in?
Since version 1.3.13 foobar2000 has native support for decoding WavPack DSD to PCM. You probably will need to add resampler to DSP, because samplerate of PCM will equal samplerate of DSD divided by 8.

Reply #4
Yes, as Rollin says, Foobar2000 will play WavPack DSD files by transcoding to PCM, and recent versions will automatically resample to 88.2 kHz, so you don't actually have to worry about adding a DSP (at least last time I tried it).

Reply #5
Thanks for the info. Let me try removing the SACD plug-in. But that means I can't play DSD directly in Foobar2000 if I don't have the plug-in. Kind of inconvenient.