Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to compress DSD with WavPack? (moved from General Audio) (Read 15466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How to compress DSD with WavPack? (moved from General Audio)

Reply #25
Currently there's no way to create native DSD files in Foobar2000 because the converter can only output PCM. For now you'll have to use the wavpack frontend, and add tags afterward with Foobar2000 (or an other tagger).

With the next wavpack release you will also be able to add an option in the frontend to have the ID3 tags in DSF files copied to the wavpack files. You can read a little about this here.

Thanks for the answer but..... such shame it can't be done with Foobar! it'll be far more convenient. Is this something that could be implemented Kode54 or anyone one from the Foobar team?

No probs with the ID3 tags in Foobar, latest 1.0.5  SACD plugin not only play DSD from wv files but also imports them automatically. Don't know about other players though.

Reply #26
I have experimented with creating a WavPack DSD image with embedded cuesheet, and they play great (and gapless) in the latest Foobar2000, both stereo and 5.1 multichannel versions! I used the program sacd_extract (on Linux) to extract the audio from an ISO as a DFF “edit master”, which is basically a whole-album DFF file with a separate cuesheet. I also used the option to decompress DST. Then I compressed that with WavPack, embedding the cuesheet, and also some cover artwork that I downloaded separately.

Hi David,
i just want to leave a huge Thankyou for you efforts about DSD-WavPacks with cuesheet. Sounds very much like the solution for all the difficulties with SACD-Iso.
Of course i tested the whole procedure and (naturally) it worked out perfectly.... with Foobar2000.
Then i had to realize, that MPD, which i use on my linux-based music-pc, has big troubles with cuesheets in general. Bad surprise...
Now the ability to handle cuesheets is in the feature-list of MPD and i hope, that in an upcoming version it will be integrated.
So again, many thanks to you for your impressive work! (and sorry for the very late comment... O:) )

Reply #27
I have experimented with creating a WavPack DSD image with embedded cuesheet, and they play great (and gapless) in the latest Foobar2000, both stereo and 5.1 multichannel versions! I used the program sacd_extract (on Linux) to extract the audio from an ISO as a DFF “edit master”, which is basically a whole-album DFF file with a separate cuesheet. I also used the option to decompress DST. Then I compressed that with WavPack, embedding the cuesheet, and also some cover artwork that I downloaded separately.

At first Foobar2000 would not recognize the cuesheet and I was afraid that this wasn't going to be easy, but then I discovered that the cuesheet started with a UTF-8 BOM marker (0xEF, 0xBB, 0xBF) that WavPack was not removing and Foobar2000 was not accepting. I deleted that with a text editor and it worked perfectly. It might be possible to just use Foobar2000 to embed the cuesheet, but I didn't try that.

I'll fix WavPack to correctly interpret and ignore that BOM marker, and then this should work for those who would like to have this option.

Hi Bryant, could you please show me how to create WavPack DSD image with cuesheet embedded? I am looking for a solution to convert multiple DSF files into a multi-track cuesheet embedded WavPack image to be specific.