Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can I restore the last saved configuration? (Read 2931 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I restore the last saved configuration?

I use foobar2000 in portable mode. Before I attempt any important change, I always save the configuration first and than make a back up copy of the whole foobar2000 folder, If I mess things up I know I can simply trash the whole installation folder and replace it with the back up. It's not a big deal, I'm actually used to it, but it would be much simpler if there were a menu command to restore the last saved configuration. There's a hidden command in the file menu which resets the default configuration, but isn't there a way to revert only the unsaved changes?
I'm late

Re: How can I restore the last saved configuration?

Reply #1
Sounds like a feature request.

Reply #2
I used to use a trick to get a similar result. I would not save it at all, work on it and  if I wanted to revert to last saved (which would be the version when foobar started) and then intentionally crash it it close it off without save (via task manager shut down the process). When it would restart normally all the changes I made weren't there anymore.
On later foobar releases this doesn't seem to work anymore so I stopped doing that.

Reply #3
I used to use a trick to get a similar result. I would not save it at all, work on it and  if I wanted to revert to last saved (which would be the version when foobar started) and then intentionally crash it it close it off without save (via task manager shut down the process). When it would restart normally all the changes I made weren't there anymore.
On later foobar releases this doesn't seem to work anymore so I stopped doing that.

Desperate times call for desperate measures :))
Jokes aside, I do that, too sometimes, but it still seems to work on on the last stable version.

Sounds like a feature request.
Not really, in fact I was wondering if there is a command or an option I'm not aware of, but indeed it would be a less barbarian solution than shutting down foobar2000 with the task manager.

I'm late

Reply #4
And I was stating that there is no solution, currently, so you'll have to wait for one, or continue using your workaround.

Reply #5
Why do you say there is no solution ? Whats with foo_Jesus ?

Reply #6
foo_jesus? If you don't want your config and settings saved foo_jesus would be the last thing to use.

Reply #7
Depends on what you are experimenting with in the configuration.

Library > Configure > "Default User Interface" > Import Theme (previously saved Export Theme)

does what you want if you are working on the appearance.

Reply #8
Yeah, same with Colums UI, import fcl. But unless you want to export with every single minor change you're doing I don't see myself doing that. A simple save config is much faster to lock in the changes you want to keep instead of import/export every single time for each change.

Reply #9
foo_jesus? If you don't want your config and settings saved foo_jesus would be the last thing to use.

? ? ?
 the op wants to go back to a previous state in case he does something wrong.
This component does exactly that.

Reply #10
No, foo_jesus does not save to 'a' previous state, it goes back to the last previous state. But that's not what OP and I are talking about. Read the thread, we're talking about reverting to x state, not last previous state.  If I were to want to revert back to a certain state which is not the last state and I had a component that guarantees to revert to last state then that component is about the last thing I'd want to have.
Simply said, if you're building a config and you want to lock in certain changes and then continue building and test things out before I want to again lock in those changes then a component that would continuously save all changes is something I'd stay away from.

Reply #11
Though foo_jesus doesn't behave exactly as required, it's worth noting that you can set the number of backups to keep, so set it to something like 10. Or 50. Also, you can set how often it autosaves in minutes, so set it to something like 1-5 minutes. Now, you may have to guess which version to restore ("was it 3 minutes ago? 5 minutes ago?), but foo_jesus is not useless in this situation.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #12
I might as well save a bunch of fcl files for the same reason and then know exactly where the changes were but like I mentioned before I'm not about to do that for every single change, too much a hassle. If, for example, you're working on an excel file, you just do Ctrl S and you have your changes locked. Nobody in their right mind would go about and save different version of the same file which is more or less the method you would need to go about when building a config and testing things out.
So just simply doing save configuration and then letting it crash reverts it back exactly the way you saved it at that point without foo_jesus giving you a version you didn't want beyond the save configuration point or doing it with different files of backups and playing the guess game.