Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Music management software (Read 7194 times) previous topic - next topic

Music management software

I am looking for music manager software that will allow compilation of playlists that can be stored and accessed - updated by  users on an internal network.   

Media monkey and Music bee are excellent products but don't allow playlists to be stored and used on a network.

If you work in a media company or audio library would appreciate your suggestions. 

Reply #1
Actually, MusicBee can be used on a network, for example with music content stored on a NAS. Just press shift during startup of MB (or tick Edit -> Preferences -> System ->show library selector on startup) and it will ask you which library to load. So, you can have one localy stored library and one remote, stored on NAS. Or, you can have a locally stored library that contains tracks stored on a NAS.

Reply #2
Actually, MusicBee can be used on a network, for example with music content stored on a NAS. Just press shift during startup of MB (or tick Edit -> Preferences -> System ->show library selector on startup) and it will ask you which library to load. So, you can have one localy stored library and one remote, stored on NAS. Or, you can have a locally stored library that contains tracks stored on a NAS.

You are right i can access music files stored on a server however i want to store playlists on the server as well as music files.
I.E: if i create a playlist of 'classic rock' my friend on another machine downstairs may retrieve the playlist and either play it or modify it then store the modified playlist on the server.

Thanks

Reply #3
I don't know of any network-centric music library software.

With MM you can actually specify a network location for a shared database, albeit the peformance may not be as good as a local db, and there is a possiblity of mutliple access conflicts if there are many users.

You might also check into a firefly server to support itunes shared library.

Reply #4
You are right i can access music files stored on a server however i want to store playlists on the server as well as music files.
I.E: if i create a playlist of 'classic rock' my friend on another machine downstairs may retrieve the playlist and either play it or modify it then store the modified playlist on the server.

for MusicBee the playlists will be created on the server as .m3u files located in the 'Playlists' subfolder of the location the library is setup.
However its not really designed with multi-user use in mind so you will need to click the refresh button to see new playlists created by someone else

Reply #6
Hi Steven..
Success, your suggestion works well, Thank you. 

I am very impressed with Musicbee and the quality of work you have produced, particularly like the tabs, webrowser and internet radio features, it's really well thought out and works great. 

Just a few minor bugs which i shall send to you direct.

Thanks again.