Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Comments section of Flac Files (Read 3092 times) previous topic - next topic

Comments section of Flac Files

Hello-
I'm sure this is an easy question for most of you, but something similar to the following shows up in the comment section on a few of my songs:

0000024A 000002CD 00000EB9 00001B40 0002230E 000222F7 0000615C 00005E2C 00027117 000222F7

Just wondering what it means? Is it the CD pressing #, song ID or some such thing? It's not a big deal, but I don't recall putting there. I can say I burnt much of my music to MP3, than bought the CD's again and ripped to FLAC, and finally copied most of the metadata from the original mp3 to the new FLAC version.
Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Hello-
I'm sure this is an easy question for most of you, but something similar to the following shows up in the comment section on a few of my songs:

0000024A 000002CD 00000EB9 00001B40 0002230E 000222F7 0000615C 00005E2C 00027117 000222F7

Just wondering what it means? Is it the CD pressing #, song ID or some such thing? It's not a big deal, but I don't recall putting there. I can say I burnt much of my music to MP3, than bought the CD's again and ripped to FLAC, and finally copied most of the metadata from the original mp3 to the new FLAC version.
Thanks in advance.

This is the iTunes soundcheck info that was in the comment field of the mp3 file tag. You can easily batch delete from flac files with foobar2000 or mp3tag.

Reply #2
(How would iTunes tags show up in one's own ripped tracks after being merely copied from one's own ripped tracks?)

Reply #3
(How would iTunes tags show up in one's own ripped tracks after being merely copied from one's own ripped tracks?)

Even on your own ripped tracks, if they are imported into iTunes and SOUNDCHECK is turned on in itunes, the tag field is added. In some programs the soundcheck value shows up as a separate comment field (something like COMMENT ITUNNORM  from memory). This is true in mp3tag. But in other programs it simply shows up as COMMENT.  The latter used to be true in foobar2000. Not sure if still true.

ps. I use an action in mp3tag to create soundcheck values from replaygain values on my mp3files created from flac. I use this mp3 mirror in iTunes to load my iPhones, etc. So in my case even if I didn't import files into iTunes, I'd see this soundcheck value in the comment field if I opened these in foobar2000.

Edit. More info
http://id3.org/iTunes%20Normalization%20settings

Reply #5
Ah, OK. I stand corrected.

So in my case even if I didn't import files into iTunes, I'd see this soundcheck value

Uh. Apple doing a Microsoft WMP and altering your files on sight? Glad I threw that thing out.

You have to turn on this option in iTunes (soundcheck). So that's a bit better than WMP. But in general I agree and only use iTunes on a lossy copy created for use with iPhones.