Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Another question regarding soundcards from yet another n00b (Read 3419 times) previous topic - next topic

Another question regarding soundcards from yet another n00b

Is there anything external like the Stereo-Link 1200 that can actually _decently_ record? Laptops get shafted all the time and it'd be really nice if there was some recording solution I can work out on a laptop (like casual amateur studio recording use). Anyone have any suggestions?

much thanks.
Radices malorum sunt libri, non est cupiditas . . .

Reply #1
Check this out.  If, however, you're not looking to spend that much, try the Sound Blaster Extigy, a USB soundcard that actually sounds pretty good.  Beware, though: even though Creative advertises that it has 96khz/24bit DACs, it does *not* actually record audio at 24bit, only at 16.  I can testify, however, that for activities such as listening to a CD, or semi-pro recording, it does a great job.

Reply #2
Does anyone have some stats about the lag time on the SB extigy? With it being all USB and all...

thanks.
Radices malorum sunt libri, non est cupiditas . . .

Reply #3
My friend, who actually owns an extigy and has done some recording on it, says that it has no more noticeable latency than an internal card.  Basically, very low-latency card that is fine for even live recording events, and I can also state that you can play several audio sources simultaneously, without any dropouts.  It only has a mono mic input, however, so no stereo microphones.