Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC in AVI container (Read 59340 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC in AVI container

please tell me someone - how can I warp AAC files into AVI container? I can use MP4 but I want to try AVI. Maybe VirtualDubMod can do it? I know it can manage AC3, OGG and MP3.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #1
You need a working AAC ACM codec for that I think. I say working, cause there exists one, but it doesn't really work in it's current shape.

Menno

AAC in AVI container

Reply #2
AAC in AVI is possible in principal, but to be 100% AVI spec compliant it needed to be CBR ( Constant Bitrate ). Of course, maybe the same hack as with VBR MP3 in AVI would work, but then you cant use an ACM codec anymore but have to hardcode AAC support into the AVI writing app, like VirtualdubMod. Cyrius, the main dev of it, has no intention do so he once told me ....

AAC in AVI container

Reply #3
AAC in AVI is possible in principal, but to be 100% AVI spec compliant it needed to be CBR ( Constant Bitrate ). Of course, maybe the same hack as with VBR MP3 in AVI would work, but then you cant use an ACM codec anymore but have to hardcode AAC support into the AVI writing app, like VirtualdubMod. Cyrius, the main dev of it, has no intention do so he once told me ....

And now that we have the beautiful, wonderful, and extensible Matroska, we really don't have much need for it.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #4
And now that we have the beautiful, wonderful, and extensible Matroska, we really don't have much need for it.

Or the variation:

And now that we have the beautiful, wonderful, and extensible MP4, we really don't have much need for it.

You'll even be conforming to an ISO standard  If you don't want to use MPEG-4 or H.263 video, you can try the MOV file format.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #5
Do you need to register with Microsoft if you are going to use AAC within the AVI container? Do you need some kind of Microsoft Development Tool Kits to develope an ACM codec?

AAC in AVI container

Reply #6
Do you need to register with Microsoft if you are going to use AAC within the AVI container? Do you need some kind of Microsoft Development Tool Kits to develope an ACM codec?

I guess you'd need Visual C++, an open-source ACM audio codec (LAME's ?), some patience and lots of motivation.

About Microsoft: they consider AVI as an obsolete format, and they don't support or help independant developers (because they don't need nor like them). So don't expect much from them.

Good luck !

AAC in AVI container

Reply #7
Ahhh... I remembered that in my former company.. we had to hire a Master Degree person just to crack the windows 95 AVI driver because there is No documentation by Microsoft.. Something like "Windows 95 Hacked"..

AAC in AVI container

Reply #8
About Microsoft: they consider AVI as an obsolete format, and they don't support or help independant developers (because they don't need nor like them). So don't expect much from them.

I just hope nody will really think about making an AAC ACM codec.

The Indians have/had a saying i was told :

'Once you recognize you are riding a dead horse, leave it behind and get a new one ...'

AAC in AVI container

Reply #9
If AAC has constant frame duration, then the MP3 hack would work, but according to the specs I have, AAC can have variable frame duration...

AAC in AVI container

Reply #10
If AAC has constant frame duration, then the MP3 hack would work, but according to the specs I have, AAC can have variable frame duration...

It has constant frame duration. The frame duration can only change from file to file, not in a file.

Menno

AAC in AVI container

Reply #11
Ah! So it is similar to DTS. I yet want to see a DTS file with variable frame duration

Then it is possible to hack it into AVI

AAC in AVI container

Reply #12
Then it is possible to hack it into AVI

BEWARE !!!!!   

If that happens, i immediately quit my job on Vdub Support Forums, sorry Avery Lee  .....  we have enough people coming there asking why this and that doesnt work in Vdub, AAC audio in AVI would certainly be the final thing to make me leave there  !

Of course, before alexnoe will kick my ass now, this is not a limitation of AVI, but of the VfW/VCM API and Vdub  ....

AAC in AVI container

Reply #13
Good lord... >_<

AAC in AVI container

Reply #14
why not just use another container before hacking avi?

AAC in AVI container

Reply #15
Maybe because AVI is the most widely used and supported container... ?

AAC in AVI container

Reply #16
Hacking it is fun! That's all! Who would ever have though that you can not only put SSA into AVI, but that even splitting/joining files, even if the styles differ, would work out 

AAC in AVI container

Reply #17
Hehe, Nic once made a program which put aac into wav so you could mux it into avi, it used to be available on rarewares but I can't find it there anymore.  It was called Nic's crappy beta IIRC.  It didn't work all that well either.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #18
Hehe, Nic once made a program which put aac into wav so you could mux it into avi, it used to be available on rarewares but I can't find it there anymore.  It was called Nic's crappy beta IIRC.  It didn't work all that well either.

Well, Nic did that so that AAC could be played on DirectShow. That's the reason of the hackish WAV wrapping.

I deleted it because nowadays there are more elegant ways of loading AAC in dshow (wrapping in MP4 or using the AAC parser filter). Also, his directshow filter was based on FAAD1, which is slower and less featureful than faad2 (used in CoreAAC).

Regards;

Roberto.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #19
In the other thread I started on this topic Latexxx notes that the AAC parser filter isn't working. Is he correct?

It seems like he might just be missing a filter.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #21
In the other thread I started on this topic Latexxx notes that the AAC parser filter isn't working. Is he correct?

It seems like he might just be missing a filter.

i have the same result than Latexxx
but the AAC parser filter is working for playback

AAC in AVI container

Reply #22
The muxing issue isn't aac source filter's fault it is the avi muxer's fault. There just isn't currently any way to mux aac to avi. Just like ChristianHJW earlier said:

AAC in AVI container

Reply #23
There is. I did it a few minutes ago. I just need to try with multichannel AACs now, and have to find a way to read AAC from AVI back (which will be total crap, since it requires  to be read binary, like an MP3 stream, but lacks proper stream headers, once the ADTS headers are striped).

If I don't encounter problems, i'll soon release AVI-Mux GUI 1.15.4 with AAC support, for AVI and MKV output

Of course, I also need to check if the VBR hack works reliably...

AAC in AVI container

Reply #24
There is. I did it a few minutes ago. I just need to try with multichannel AACs now, and have to find a way to read AAC from AVI back (which will be total crap, since it requires  to be read binary, like an MP3 stream, but lacks proper stream headers, once the ADTS headers are striped).

When I wrote my ACM AAC codec, I just left the ADTS headers. Solved a lot of problems 

Menno