Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 5.1 to ALAC 5.1? (Read 6344 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 5.1 to ALAC 5.1?

I recently downloaded an album in DTS 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit), which I want convert to an iTunes-friendly format, without data loss. From what I can tell, ALAC seems to be what I need.

I managed to convert the DTS files to 5.1 FLAC using MediaCoder (http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/index.htm which seems to be awesome, btw). Now I just need to convert 5.1 FLAC to 5.1 ALAC. I thought this would be easy, but dbPowerAmp says it only supports mono/stereo ALAC encoding.

What can I use to encode 5.1 ALAC?

FLAC 5.1 to ALAC 5.1?

Reply #1
I think the ALAC format is limited to mono and stereo recordings.  You can convert to a 5.1 AAC file that will work with iTunes but I don't think ALAC can go up to 5.1.  That might be added in the future though or I could be wrong.